Quote Originally Posted by cederic in another thread View Post
That would be nice. I'd like my car insurance to drop in price.
Just listening to Radio 4's Moneybox and it may yet do exactly that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/9401607.stm
EU gender law to affect annuities?

Pensions for men could fall and those for women could rise following a ruling of the European Court on March the 1st. The Court will decide if European law allows insurance companies to make different offers to men and women simply on the grounds of their sex.

At the moment a woman will get a lower pension than a man of the same age with the same pot of money because on average women live longer and the money has to stretch further. If the court follows the legal advice it has been given then such discrimination will have to end.
Apparently it would make pensions annuities more expensive, and car insurance cheaper for men.

However if the courts do decide this, I've a hunch that insurance companies will start loading lots of technology into our cars to track exactly what we do, and giving discounts for better driving, fewer miles etc.. This is already happening for some policies aimed at younger drivers.

If it happens that you turn out to be a lower or higher risk than someone else, then it will be based on lots of non-discriminatory data rather than assumptions based on gender.