Thread: C++ Runtime Library error

C++ Runtime Library error

I was using a piece of software when it shut down with a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error. I now can't open the application as each time I try I get the same message -

"The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

I have no idea what that means but I've tried doing a System Restore and uninstalling and reinstalling the software (Nikon View NX) - neither of which has made any difference (I was just trying what I thought might help).

I use this software to manage my RAW files and have files I want to convert - I have no photoediting software that handles RAW files so I really need it!

Any suggestions or advice?

Re: C++ Runtime Library error

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&...+Library+error
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307817

Googling the specific error can help - not sure what exact error you had.

A safety mode start, checking to see any updates for windows - sounds like it's not the nikon view but something it's calling from the Windows side.

A registry clean, a check that there aren't virus (windows security essentials is free if you need a quick once over).

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I was using a piece of software when it shut down with a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error. I now can't open the application as each time I try I get the same message -

I have no idea what that means but I've tried doing a System Restore and uninstalling and reinstalling the software (Nikon View NX) - neither of which has made any difference (I was just trying what I thought might help).

I use this software to manage my RAW files and have files I want to convert - I have no photoediting software that handles RAW files so I really need it!

So, to be clear:

At one point this was working, and now it isn't?

What, if anything, has changed in between?

Failing anything obvious, I would try looking on the Nikon website for a fix (possibly download the latest version) - I think that's most likely to be successful.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mt0m View Post
    Googling the specific error can help - not sure what exact error you had.
    I did try that but got even more confused...

A safety mode start, checking to see any updates for windows - sounds like it's not the nikon view but something it's calling from the Windows side.
    Um.... how do I do that? *blonde*

A registry clean, a check that there aren't virus (windows security essentials is free if you need a quick once over).
    Saw mention of registry cleans when I was doing the google search but don't know how to go about that and wary of downloading something that might make things worse - will have a look for Windows Security Essentials...

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    So, to be clear:

At one point this was working, and now it isn't?

What, if anything, has changed in between?
    The only thing was that my laptop overheated and shut down - I'd forgotten to turn the extra fan on - it does that sometimes but I allowed it to run its checks when restarting. ViewNX had been open when that happened. When I restarted the computer and opened ViewNX again, it did open - then as I was starting to use it I got this message. Now it won't open at all - I just get the error message.

The only thing was that my laptop overheated and shut down - I'd forgotten to turn the extra fan on - it does that sometimes but I allowed it to run its checks when restarting. ViewNX had been open when that happened. When I restarted the computer and opened ViewNX again, it did open - then as I was starting to use it I got this message. Now it won't open at all - I just get the error message.
    OK. It would seem likely something got corrupted during the enforced shutdown.

A quick google brings up:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-5f724a5cef9a

which looks like it might be useful (guessing that you're running Vista).

(It will probably also work for Win 7, and possibly for XP).

OK. It would seem likely something got corrupted during the enforced shutdown.
    Yes I think that may have happened, there must be a way of fixing it though?

A quick google brings up:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-5f724a5cef9a

which looks like it might be useful (guessing that you're running Vista).

(It will probably also work for Win 7, and possibly for XP).
    Running Vista but tried that and I can't get on as an adminstrator - its asking for a password which I don't have.

Programs that are written in Visual C++ use standard libraries of routines which are supplied by Microsoft. These are continually being upgraded. Some software that was written using a previous version of those libraries installs that previous version, because that was what it was designed to use. Older versions of the library are replaced by newer ones, and sometimes newer versions are replaced by older. One of the programs suffers because it is trying to use a library it was not designed for.

This page has the relevant downloads http://bit.ly/eOw6qh
    but which you need is out of my zone of expertise.

If you can give the exact error message info, that could help
    eg you can get a version of the runtime library as a download, which could basically be used to patch your current version potentially

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

If you can give the exact error message info, that could help
    eg you can get a version of the runtime library as a download, which could basically be used to patch your current version potentially

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en
    I tried downloading that from an earlier link but not sure what to do with it after that...

Its just when I open View NX

Runtime Error!

Program C:\Program files\Nikon\View NX\View NX.exe

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.

Looks like I have it sorted. I looked on Nikon's website and there is a newer version of View NX. So I removed the version I was running and instead of reinstalling the same version from the software CD (which is what I tried yesterday) I downloaded the newer version. That seems to have worked.

Thanks guys for the help and advice.

Glad to hear

Thread Information