Thread: Ideas for honeymoon in july

Commercial Operator

Ideas for honeymoon in july

Hi all

I am looking for some advice.

trying to find the perfect place to go on honeymoon in mid July. Would prefer to hear from those that have been to the location.

Ideal would be beach location with perfect sunny days, like the idea of beach huts and empty beaches.

Advice so far has been stick to the med due to the time of year.

Help !!! this is my only job and not making a good start at it

Blog Entries

Re: Ideas for honeymoon in july

We went to the Maldives - island was called Chaaya Island Dhonvelli

It is pure paradise and we had a beach hut but whilst its beautiful its also boring after a while, we did a fortnight which was too long as once you have done the diving, the bedroom, the snorkelling and the reading, paradise becomes clostrophbic well it did for us anyway.

Last year we went to the Barbados . we went with Virgin to a hotel called Waves. Small hotel with a very small beach. It was wonderful (aside from the freak weather we had) but not as beautiful as the Maldives.

This hotel has fantastic food, great service and a wonderful spa area thats peaceful and tranquil. The rooms are lovely too (ground floor) it does not have the beach but it has got great atmosphere.

We are going to morrocco this year, i have been before and its wonderful. The beaches go on forever and there are some spectacular hotels along the stretch in Agadir. If you want something not too far away, not ridiculous prices, i would have no hesitation advising looking there.

good luck

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r View Post
    trying to find the perfect place to go on honeymoon in mid July. Would prefer to hear from those that have been to the location.

Ideal would be beach location with perfect sunny days, like the idea of beach huts and empty beaches.
    Normally I'd suggest Cuba - I had a great time there last April - but the Caribbean in July may not be not a good idea, as it's coming into hurricane season then.

Yes, the Med's the obvious choice, but you won't find any empty beaches there in July. You could probably get a good deal for Egypt at the moment... - maybe North Africa?

The Seychelles islands are fantastic locations for a honeymoon. But they're not cheap, so it depends on your budget.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Normally I'd suggest Cuba - I had a great time there last April - but the Caribbean in July may not be not a good idea, as it's coming into hurricane season then.

Yes, the Med's the obvious choice, but you won't find any empty beaches there in July.

The Seychelles islands are fantastic locations for a honeymoon. But they're not cheap, so it depends on your budget.

You could probably get a good deal for Egypt at the moment...
    Seychelles is nice too, went years ago and stayed in all different hotels but you need to get a great hotel and as DB said, its blinking expensive

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

hmm, heres a starter for some ideas. could be romantic

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/canary-i...-articles/1376

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    We went to the Maldives - island was called Chaaya Island Dhonvelli

It is pure paradise and we had a beach hut but whilst its beautiful its also boring after a while, we did a fortnight which was too long as once you have done the diving, the bedroom, the snorkelling and the reading, paradise becomes clostrophbic well it did for us anyway.

Last year we went to the Barbados . we went with Virgin to a hotel called Waves. Small hotel with a very small beach. It was wonderful (aside from the freak weather we had) but not as beautiful as the Maldives.

This hotel has fantastic food, great service and a wonderful spa area thats peaceful and tranquil. The rooms are lovely too (ground floor) it does not have the beach but it has got great atmosphere. :
    Hi trouble

this is perfect stuff spent ages looking at glossy mags but i need real experiences to make my mind up.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    depends on your budget.
    The BEST holiday I've ever been on was to Turkey!

It was pure and utter luxury, without any feeling of stuffiness.

Unfortunately since our holiday, the particular hotel we stayed at, was brought out by another group and the ratings and what's included have drastically gone down

But, I would still recommend one of the large 'new' hotels in Turkey. They really do out class anything in the Caribbean for cleanliness, food choice and service.
    Also, I like the fact you get 'proper' Coca cola or Pepsi and not that disgusting stuff out of a pump.

Most of the large hotels have their own Hammam's, which are free to use.

The first Hotel we 'first' went to, was called the SunGate Port Royal and was given a 5*+ rating in the books but everyone said it was 7*.

Included in the price was -
    Unlimited (hot) towels, which you could exchange anytime, as many times as you wish
    8 pools, all different! Some adults onl, with no games etc. Some had organised games all day. Some were cold, some warm and some indoors!
    Hot and cold jaccuzzi's dotted everywhere.
    It had a full sized Water Park
    A full sized theatre
    It 'own' harbour + boat, which you could go on
    Free 'motorised' watersports
    A 'dophinarium, and you could swim with the dolphins.
    All brand drinks and bottled beers included
    Free Water bottles, in fridges all over the place
    Free fruit baskets
    Free restocking of your minibar... to your own specification
    The kids club (not that you'll be interested in that but) did Judo lessons and even gave all the kids pure white Judo kits!
    There was a constant stream of waiters, coming around with things like 'iced flannels'
    All the sunbeds had 'thick mattresses' and clean towelling covers.
    There were curtained beach huts which you could reserve for the day and at a nominal charge, you could get your own waiter.
    There were floating pontoon's to swim to and sunbathe on and also a Jetty with sunbeds and blinds, should you want some shade.
    There were hammocks dotted about too.
    The nightly entertainment changed every day, not only the theme but the 'location', one night they set up a huge beach party, with lasers and girls on podiums and a BBQ to end all BBQ's, ending with fireworks over the sea!
    One night, in the outside amphitheatre there was a foam party!
    But because the place was HUGE, there was always somewhere completely quiet and peaceful, if thats what you like!

Like Trouble, I'm the type of person, who 'in my dreams' wants peace and quiet and a lovely view but in reality, I'm easily bored. But I can honestly say, it was the only place I've ever thought, I could have stayed another fortnight!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ....long list of fantastic things...
    Sounds amazing, and I want to go...

Just a thought - why not take a look at a luxury cruise ship? I imagine there are plenty available at that time of year, and there's a chance you'll be able to visit a few of the places mentioned in the one trip if you pick the cruise right.

Besides that, most of them have have fantastic restaurants on board that you can eat at for breakfast, lunch and dinner at no additional charge

After Lory's suggestion, I'm thinking of cancelling my wedding and spending the money on that holiday instead.

Sounds absolutely perfect, I want to go NOW!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    After Lory's suggestion, I'm thinking of cancelling my wedding and spending the money on that holiday instead.

Sounds absolutely perfect, I want to go NOW!
    Ive got a better idea.. cancel the wedding and take me. !!

well still marry Gav but on the quiet and leave him babysitting !

We went to the Seychelles in October for our honeymoon - we spent a couple of days on the main island (OK), several days on Praslin (beautiful) and then a couple of days in the marine reserve off the main island (St. Anne)

If you go to Praslin I'd highly recommend the place we stayed - La Reserve - family run, small and free excursions. We booked the entire holiday through Stylish Resorts (Lydia) who were very helpful and moved us when we had a problem with the last hotel (Cerf Island Resort - not at all like the reviews)

We also went to the Maldives for our anniversary (what can I say, I'm a lucky girl!). Stayed at Oluhelvi Beach Resort which is a boat ride from the airport instead of a flight. Recommended if you're only going for one week. We stayed in their basic room which was perfectly lovely. Watersports were excellent, as was the spa. And excursions were on offer but not pushed. There was also an excellent house reef so you could go snorkelling/diving without any hassle. That was booked last minute through Thomson. And strangely enough, it's the place where Dave Hancock went on honeymoon (not at the same time I must say)

Look at Banyan Tree resorts. Lovely locations and top notch service or Four Seasons. I have tried others but nothing really comes up to those two standards if you want to enjoy yourself and be pampered.

Commercial Operator

My advice is to go somewhere with style, history and class. That 'classic' somewhere that's lovely and will always be there for you to return to the place where you honeymooned. This is not an hotel, no matter how fantastic. It's a town, city or area that you can fall in love with. This will become your special place where you return to your 'honeymoon' the next time you visit.

Somewhere like the Amalfi coast, the Coté d'Azur, Channel Islands, Paris, Rome, Milan, etc, etc. It could even be somewhere like North Wales, Cornwall or the Lakes - possibly an area of Scotland (without midges). Go somewhere lovely, stay in a nice hotel, but get out of the hotel and explore the area, eat out, meet people, shop, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    My advice is to go somewhere with style, history and class. That 'classic' somewhere that's lovely and will always be there for you to return to the place where you honeymooned. This is not an hotel, no matter how fantastic. It's a town, city or area that you can fall in love with. This will become your special place where you return to your 'honeymoon' the next time you visit.

Somewhere like the Amalfi coast, the Coté d'Azur, Channel Islands, Paris, Rome, Milan, etc, etc. It could even be somewhere like North Wales, Cornwall or the Lakes - possibly an area of Scotland (without midges). Go somewhere lovely, stay in a nice hotel, but get out of the hotel and explore the area, eat out, meet people, shop, etc.
    Great advice Andy!

Excellent advice, Andy. Even beaches and bedrooms can get boring after a bit, as others have found. There'd have to be some cultural stuff and preferably some outdoor pursuits to keep me happy.

If it was me I'd be looking at Cuba or Mexico. Costa Rica's got a good rep but I've never been. They would be hot and humid in July - so check out the sunshine rate if that's important to you. However the climate at altitude in any of those would be perfect in July - a two centre holiday eg Mexico City/Coast might be good.

For my mums and dads 40th wedding anniversary me and my sister decieded that we had "x" amount to spend and wanted to get them a really great holiday. It actually worked out we had enough for 2 holidays for the first one we sent them to Tobago - i think it was the coco beach hotel - which they said was better than anything they had ever experienced before....beautiful location, food, and beautiful white sandy beaches - perfect
    Then we sent them to Cape Verde - cant remember which hotel (except they were sister hotels right on the beach) and they said this was even better it got us a few brownie points too lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    For my mums and dads 40th wedding anniversary me and my sister decieded that we had "x" amount to spend and wanted to get them a really great holiday. It actually worked out we had enough for 2 holidays for the first one we sent them to Tobago - i think it was the coco beach hotel - which they said was better than anything they had ever experienced before....beautiful location, food, and beautiful white sandy beaches - perfect
    Then we sent them to Cape Verde - cant remember which hotel (except they were sister hotels right on the beach) and they said this was even better it got us a few brownie points too lol
    what a fantastic gift. x

Can't help about sun , sea and surf locations.. Twirly and I went to Venice and the Italian lakes last year for our Honeymoon. but thanks to the dust cloud from the Iceland volcano we were not getting the best of weather

Very romantic location though.

Thread Information