Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: my big fat gypsy wedding

Blog Entries

Re: my big fat gypsy wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    When you think about it, most of the 'mothers of the brides' can only be in their 30's and the 'grandmothers' are still in their 40's but they look a hell of a lot older!
    older is not a word i'd use. Beaten down is. !... they do look like they have had the life of hell dont they. !!

Thanks for clearing that up - I was wondering where the mothers were too, since the eldest daughters are taking care of the family! I continue to be gobsmacked by this programme, I haven't even heard any of the girls say they're 'in love' with the lads they're marrying, and Tuesday night's 17-year old groom looked about 12 and was stood at the altar with his hands in his pockets.

I wonder if next week's will shed any light on where the money comes from? The 16-year old lad seen chasing girls on Tuesday was purported to earn a living 'collecting scrap metal and tarmacking' - can anyone remember the last time they saw a gang of Irish navvies tarmacking a road?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glads View Post
    - can anyone remember the last time they saw a gang of Irish navvies tarmacking a road?
    its not the roads they tarmac, its normally peoples drives. They come knocking regularly, in their white van, offering to tarmac your drive for cash or cut down your trees blah balh blah

then they do a **** job and sod off with ya hard earned cash.

Easy to see why it's such an insular community from the way this thread has progressed.

If we were speculating as to how young black men could afford such sparkly earrings and neck chains and posited that 'it's because they're all muggers and drug dealers' would this be allowed to remain. No, of course not even though there would be some basis in the truth.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Easy to see why it's such an insular community from the way this thread has progressed.

If we were speculating as to how young black men could afford such sparkly earrings and neck chains and posited that 'it's because they're all muggers and drug dealers' would this be allowed to remain. No, of course not even though there would be some basis in the truth.
    OK Rob.. give us your opinion on how these 'openly illiterate' people, with huge families can afford these things then?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

OK Rob.. give us your opinion on how these 'openly illiterate' people, with huge families can afford these things then?
    Are you talking about the gypsies or the YBM?

Blog Entries

Are you talking about the gypsies or the YBM?
    Gypsies
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

OK, serious answer this time.

I don't say I disagree with the opinions expressed thus far just that there is an inconsistency in the way that stereotyping this group (and I know they are travellers by choice rather than being a racial characteristic) is allowed to go unchallenged in a way that would not be permitted for many other groups (and if the travellers were a different skin colour probably wouldn't happen here either)

I have no idea where travellers get the money from for the things that this programme shows them buying. If people who have posted here have themselves paid a group of travellers for some work and found it to be sub standard then I'd completely understand them posting in the way they have but I suspect this not to be the case.

Blog Entries

I don't say I disagree with the opinions expressed thus far just that there is an inconsistency in the way that stereotyping this group (and I know they are travellers by choice rather than being a racial characteristic) is allowed to go unchallenged in a way that would not be permitted for many other groups (and if the travellers were a different skin colour probably wouldn't happen here either)
    I understand where you're coming from but I don't think there is an inconsistency, as this group of people are, in the main, 'telling us' the differences and that they're staunchly proud of their traditions and that they want to be recognised 'for' those differences.
    Be that, Grabbing, getting married at 16, having lots of children and not allowing them to finish their education, even though its the law of our land.

Wrongly stereotyping, is when we judge and label a whole group, by the actions of a few ( who might be the same colour or the same religion for example)

But in this case, they stereotype themselves and ostracise any of their community who doesn't fall into their self imposed 'ways'

Blog Entries

ok, serious answer this time.

I if people who have posted here have themselves paid a group of travellers for some work and found it to be sub standard then i'd completely understand them posting in the way they have but i suspect this not to be the case.
    wrong

Blog Entries

OH and just for correctness, they are not gypsies they are irish travellers.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The point is, these people are much more of a "community" than YBM, because they're physically all located in the same place(s). So they're far more likely to have a common set of characteristics, ignoring any ethnicity issues.

In the same way that (say) Irish people have a shared set of characteristics compared to (say) Welsh people, despite having almost no differences in ethnicity.

So the comments are based on culture, not ethnicity.

(EDIT: although I think Lory and Trouble are a bit sad to get obsessed with this programme. They should be watching real must-see telly like Being Human and True Blood )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    (EDIT: although I think Lory and Trouble are a bit sad
    Guilty as charged

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    (EDIT: although I think Lory and Trouble are a bit sad to get obsessed with this programme. They should be watching real must-see telly like Being Human and True Blood )
    - or.... Louis spencer or jeremy kyle or the best yet..... Coronation st - this is my newest television must see. YES, I REALLY MUST START GETTING OUT MORE

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    - or.... Louis spencer or jeremy kyle or the best yet..... Coronation st - this is my newest television must see. YES, I REALLY MUST START GETTING OUT MORE
    I'd recommend starting to learn a new dance form

Blog Entries

Apparently CH4 are quite pleased with the show...

Quote Originally Posted by CH4
    Television’s Channel 4 has drawn in over eight million viewers for the My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding fly-on-the wall show and given them the highest ratings in three years!

Blog Entries

just a reminder - 9pm tonight.

Look forward to discussions tommorow.

Blog Entries

What a ****.

And we all know who im talking about im sure.

its like the mafia on crack.

I must find out where that cemetry is also so i can ensure none of my relatives are buried there. I mean can you imagine. Popping down to pay your respects and its like Disco Diva session going on.

ooh im scared to tell him im a gypsy...... Husbands face is obscured as to not let it effect his business when people find out his a gypsy.... OR HE DOESN'T WANT TO PAY TAX, COUNCIL TAX, INLAND REVENUE, NATIONAL INSURANCE more like.

I actually dislike these people more since this programme came on.

Blog Entries

any ideas why this week's isn't on 4OD?

I actually found tonights programme very upsetting and disturbing.

I'm shocked this goes on in Great Britain in 2011
    I've just watched this edition and it wasn't quite as shocking as I'd expected.

Girls taken out of school from 12 and 13, to do housework and to be prevented from 'outside' influences
    It's not the best start in life, but it's worth mentioning that they aren't the only community in the UK which removes young girls from education and marries them off young.

In my opinion, protecting them from 'outside influences' means preventing them from seeing what they could have if they get an education and refuse to conform to the traditional traveller model for life. I suppose I can understand why they're protective of their traditions. If too many take an alternative route their community will probably die out in a few generations. The question is, do they have a tradition that's worth protecting?

Hardly any of them can read or write and they seem to accept this as being OK.
    They don't need any of those skills for their future life. Sad but true.

And as for 'grabbing' I'm left speechless... even the boys admitted that the girls wouldn't like the experience
    I'm pretty sure that the legal definition of grabbing would be 'assault'.

p.s., I saw a Diamond incrusted DUMMY in a baby's mouth... surely thats got to be illegal?
    No, I think it was diamonique so it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Well, now we know the real reason why they 'travel'. It's not because it's their traditional lifestyle, it's to ensure they stay two or three steps ahead of social services. Hopefully there'll be some questions in parliament and this grotesque parody of a medieval society will find itself dragged into what we are pleased to call 'civilisation'.
    I predict politicians won't go there, the topic is too thorny as it involves associating a specific community or race with unacceptable behaviour.

I couldn't help but wonder how any of the young illiterate males ever pass a driving theory test or complete car insurance forms etc.
    And what about that bit when they mounted the pavement to drive around an injured person being attended to in the road!

The girls know and accept their fate from an early age, which I find terribly sad
    I think changing that is the key to giving the girls better options in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    any ideas why this week's isn't on 4OD?
    I've just watched an edition on Youtube. It's an 'official' posting complete with adverts.

One final thing, didn't anyone else notice the bit where someone said 'if you're not married by 21 or 22 you're on the shelf'

Thread Information