Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: my big fat gypsy wedding

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: my big fat gypsy wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    There is a small problem here with things like ithings. Copyright in particular, there is none. So Apple especially and other top brands don't like selling products here, and the ones you can get are hugely expensive.
    uh...wtfyoa ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    uh...wtfyoa ?
    I did think that too

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

do ya know I am sure some of this is child abuse that poor child in a pink communion dress and all the other kids laughing at her................ can't wait to see the next one !!
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Tonight's episode has irritated me slightly. The travellers are all moaning about being moved from their *site and saying that if they're moved they have no access to sanitation, doctors or schooling for the kids, but they don't pay council tax, tax or national insurance, like the rest of us, so why should they benefit from these services? They can't have it all ways.

If they can afford to spend thousands of pounds on dresses, stretched pink limo's, monster trucks, and all the other things they have, they can afford private tutors and doctors, etc, or pay their dues for the privilege.

*The site is land that they've bought but do not have planning permission to build on, but they've built on it anyway and it's a bloody eyesore. Feral kids, stray dogs and piles of junk all over the place. I have no sympathy for them at all.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    The travellers are all moaning about being moved from their *site and saying that if they're moved they have no access to sanitation, doctors or schooling for the kids,
    Yes and surely, being 'travellers', that's the lifestyle that they've chosen and what they're trying so hard to protect?

What no one seems to have addressed on this programme is, 'why' people don't like them.

I've heard when a community of travellers set up in an area, within days
    burglaries, car theft and shoplifting all drastically go up.

They're also notorious for taking on small building jobs, taking deposits and never showing up, or doing shoddy work and no one can trace them after they've been paid

The family's have strict moral codes between them (as we've seen) and this also includes covering for each others crimes. They're often christened with the same name and known only to one an other by their nicknames. They are of 'no fixed abode' when it suits!

It seems to me, they have no respect for people or authority outside their community. And so don't deserve to have much respect from the wider community.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I was so interested in last night's episode that I fell asleep halfway through only to wake up during the kidnap scene in Shameless thinking "Bl**dy gippos, will they stop at nothing? Surprised they let C4 film this."

Tonight's episode has irritated me slightly. The travellers are all moaning about being moved from their *site and saying that if they're moved they have no access to sanitation, doctors or schooling for the kids, but they don't pay council tax, tax or national insurance, like the rest of us, so why should they benefit from these services? They can't have it all ways.
    Yeah, but. Actually I am a bit envious and if I could get away with this sort of FYou behaviour then I might, even though it is of course, Morally Reprehensible. Beats being a stressed-out wage-slave.

Feral kids
    The families are fascinating. Like cute litters of gambolling puppies. Even though they might be apparently undisciplined they are clearly much-loved and well cared for -and it must take some doing to get the girls to conform to the no sex or alcohol injunction, especially when dressing like prostitutes is the norm.

The family's have strict moral codes between them....
    Do you think it's part of the code of honour that all females of the clan, of all ages, must display their boobies like mutant porridge boiling out of the pan? I suppose it was summer when they made the prog, wonder what they do in winter?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Even though they might be apparently undisciplined they are clearly much-loved and well cared for -and it must take some doing to get the girls to conform to the no sex or alcohol injunction, especially when dressing like prostitutes is the norm.
    I agree, they do seem loved, cared for and 'spoilt' but as for conforming to the no sex or alcohol injunction, thats only till they're 16, when 'grabbing' becomes acceptable and marriage is positively encouaged
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Aside from the irritations as quoted already so i wont bore you, did anybody think that the mother of the outsider about to marry in looked just like "magda" in something about Mary... what did she look like. !!

anyway on another serious note, did you notice what the 8 year olds were wearing. I mean knee high socks taken to the ridiculous plus mini skirts and girating moves that I would expect an 18 year old to do on a dance floor in a club that picks up hookers.. its awful.

There are some serious issues though. Whilst its a laugh on some things like carrying a fire extinguisher to the wedding incase the dress catches fire.... there are some things that appear very very wrong. Grabbing, dressing inappropriately, being made homeless every few years, living in each others pockets, men and women separated, i mean the two communion parties they showed had no men present, none what so ever at the parties afterwards.....mind you, thats probably a good thing with what the little girls were wearing and doing. Its awful really and surely a form of abuse. !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    anyway on another serious note, did you notice what the 8 year olds were wearing. I mean knee high socks taken to the ridiculous plus mini skirts and girating
    I'm not overly concerned about the dressing up part, especially as you say, its done in the presence of all girls and their Mums
    And I know, give any 8yr old a complete free licence to wear exactly what they wanted, 'most' would end up looking like that and they just copy what they see, dancewise. They're probably (hopefully) totally unaware that dancing like that, has anything to do with trying to attract members of the opposite sex.

I noticed that the boys aren't required to make such efforts... sloppy tracky bottoms and as RobD mentioned, the 'wife beater' vest, seem just fine!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I noticed that the boys aren't required to make such efforts... sloppy tracky bottoms and as RobD mentioned, the 'wife beater' vest, seem just fine!
    Sounds a bit like some dance events I've been to........

I was so interested in last night's episode that I fell asleep halfway through only to wake up during the kidnap scene in Shameless thinking "Bl**dy gippos, will they stop at nothing? Surprised they let C4 film this."
    I haven't been watching the gypsy thing (though I might have to 4od it after this discussion) but I can imagine it linking on to Shameless quite nicely and last nights episode was, yet another, cracker

True - but I have also heard that local ne'er-do-wells take full advantage of the opportunity to point the finger of blame at them and cover their own erm, 'misdemeanours'.

What I didn't get is why they've done this series. They are supposed to be such a private and closed group, yet they've opened themselves up to national public ridicule by appearing on a sensationalist tv programme. I wonder if they got paid a lot? If not, then maybe they're naive if they expected this series to make people more sympathetic to them.

Totally bizarre...
    Last edited by Twirly; 26th-January-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Do you think it's part of the code of honour that all females of the clan, of all ages, must display their boobies like mutant porridge boiling out of the pan? I suppose it was summer when they made the prog, wonder what they do in winter?
    It does look that way, but let's not forget that girls are not allowed to drink alcohol until they're married and they can't hang around with boys either. Maybe its not all bad?

Quote Originally Posted by lory
    What no one seems to have addressed on this programme is, 'why' people don't like them.
    I'm sure that in some instances it's probably just because of the negative press, but some of us have had bad experiences too.

When I was stationed at Middle Wallop airfield (yes, it's a real place) a big group of travellers set up in the field next to the airfield and within a couple of weeks, petty thefts and vandalism started to happen in the married quarters. Bearing in mind that it's an Army base, the crime rate is usually zero.
    There was also a pretty unpleasant incident involving travellers trying to stop my guard patrol land-rover, but they only tried once...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    It does look that way, but let's not forget that girls are not allowed to drink alcohol until they're married and they can't hang around with boys either. Maybe its not all bad?
    I':
    According to one of my technicians who is married to an x traveller - thats a load of rubbish. That hasn't been the case for many years and they drink and have fun with boys.

I think travellers are changing, the youth of the traveller want their cake and eat it too, ie: do what they like, when they like to whoever they like, plus with the additional added bonus of not paying nothing to nobody for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    What I didn't get is why they've done this series. They are supposed to be such a private and closed group, yet they've opened themselves up to national public ridicule by appearing on a sensationalist tv programme. I wonder if they got paid a lot? If not, then maybe they're naive if they expected this series to make people more sympathetic to them.

Totally bizarre...
    Yeah, I don't get this either. What we see is skewed by the fact that the only travellers willing to take part would be the more exhibitionist/ money-grabbing section of the community - that's what makes good TV. For all we know 95% of the traveller community are also tutting over the antics we've been shown.

I'm wondering what's coming up in the next few programmes- are there 5 in all? It's already starting to get a bit repetitive. What I really would like to know is how they can afford the light-encrusted frocks and custom-built stilettoes for their 7 year olds, and the one-off dayglo party dresses at £300 a pop.

Still, if your main residence is a caravan parked illegally then your living overheads must be fairly low. No tiresome mortgages and council tax so everything you earn from being a "tree surgeon" can be invested in sugar pink netting if you so desire.

Blog Entries

No tiresome mortgages and council tax so everything you earn from being a "tree surgeon" can be invested in sugar pink netting if you so desire.
    Yeah, "tree surgeon" . I'm fairly sure there's legal requirements for certification to be a tree surgeon. I suspect he's just a pikey with a van and a chainsaw.
    Did you notice that there were quite a few people with their faces blurred? If I was a cynical person, I'd be thinking that they're probably the drug dealers, thieves and assassins.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Yeah, "tree surgeon" . I'm fairly sure there's legal requirements for certification to be a tree surgeon. I suspect he's just a pikey with a van and a chainsaw.
    Did you notice that there were quite a few people with their faces blurred? If I was a cynical person, I'd be thinking that they're probably the drug dealers, thieves and assassins.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I haven't watched any of this series. However, the pictures here gave me a taster of what I've been missing. I love the fairy-princess carriage!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

If they can afford to spend thousands of pounds on dresses, stretched pink limo's, monster trucks, and all the other things they have, they can afford private tutors and doctors, etc, or pay their dues for the privilege.

*The site is land that they've bought but do not have planning permission to build on, but they've built on it anyway and it's a bloody eyesore. Feral kids, stray dogs and piles of junk all over the place. I have no sympathy for them at all.
    I wondered how long before someone raised this kind of thing.

Perhaps they thought it was outside the scope of the programme, or maybe it's because the programme makers aren't allowed to. I think it's generally considered xenophobic and not politically correct to discuss or make judgements on these matters.

I've heard when a community of travellers set up in an area, within days burglaries, car theft and shoplifting all drastically go up.
    I'm sure they're not all bad. Although having said that, one of my friends lived near a traveller site and her washing disappeared off her washing line overnight on more than one occasion. Stories like this don't help either.

And so don't deserve to have much respect from the wider community.
    Can't imagine they lose too much sleep over that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    I wondered how long before someone raised this kind of thing.

Perhaps they thought it was outside the scope of the programme, or maybe it's because the programme makers aren't allowed to. I think it's generally considered xenophobic and not politically correct to discuss or make judgements on these matters.
    the reason I felt it needed bringing up is, the Gypsy's have mentioned that they're not liked several times and it seemed to invite the question of 'why'? Even if it was from their own perception.

I'm sure they're not all bad.
    I'm sure they're not either.

In fact, if any child was brought up in such a closed community, where all the guiding influences bring the children up to 'keep the traditions' whatever those 'traditions' might be!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the reason I felt it needed bringing up is, the Gypsy's have mentioned that they're not liked several times and it seemed to invite the question of 'why'? Even if it was from their own perception.
    There was a guy on LBC yesterday morning who ran the "Roma times" website or something and called in; basically he clarified that there are two distinct "gypsy" communities:
    - Romani people (his lot)
    - Irish Travellers (the ones in the series)

He disagreed that Irish Travellers were actually "gypsies".

As to the "why would you let yourself look silly on telly?" question - the answer is, always, "because it gets you on the telly".

Thread Information