Thread: Food processors

Food processors

I've decided to make falafel, and that means I need a food processor.

I'll buy one, use it several times each year, and keep it until I die. So I want a good one, that'll last, that'll make me happy I own it, that'll work beautifully every time I use it.

Features are good, grunt is good, ease of cleaning is essential, looks are irrelevant and price will be depreciated over a period of decades (unless I die young, in which case I wont care anyway) so I'm happy to invest.

Any suggestions?

Re: Food processors

I use a Kenwood Multi Pro, use it about 3 times year for grinding herbs and spices
    The ex used it for amazing pavlovas and cheese cakes

Which current Best Buy The Artisan 5KFPM770 £280 They say
    performs well in all tasks, is quiet and very durable and has a good range of accessories.

But if you only want to chop Magimix 12245 £45 They say
    excellent at chopping, pureeing and is even good at making mayonnaise. It's also easy to assemble, easy to use and easy to clean, but it's noisy and is one of the heaviest mini choppers we've tested.

It's one of the quickest on test for chopping onions and parsley - both were chopped evenly and finely, posing no problems for the Magimix Le Micro. It isn't the fastest at chopping hazelnuts, but the results are good, with no lumps or large, unprocessed pieces.
    you can join Which, and read the full reviews, for I think a £1, but remember to cancel the subscription with in a month if you don't want to pay any more

I love my Magimix 5100. I have had it about 7 years and it is stil going strong. Great for thinks like falafel, pesto, green curry paste, etc. Not the cheapest option but the one you see most tv chefs using. I use it for chopping, grating, slicing, etc. I am a bit of a kitchen gadget junkie so I use my Kitchenaid for making meringues, cakes (although these can be done in the Magimix), etc, my Panasonic bread maker for bread and pizza bases, and my blender for soups, smoothies, etc.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I got a kenwood for a wedding present (25 years ago ) and it still works perfectly although now, instead of being white, its gone a yukky yellow
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Beo and I recently took deliveryof the Kitchenaid Artisan recommended by Which - a wedding present. I'd wanted one for years. It's a lovely machine (though have had a few teething problems), though maybe without quite the verstility of my old food processor. It is, however a lot quieter! And it seems neater and easier to clean. Have to say though, you'd have to make and eat an awful lot of houmus to make it value for money if that is all you are likely to use it for! I did make houmus in it recently, and it was incredibly easy and quick. Have also done pesto recently which was fantastic too.

What I also have is a Bamix hand held processor which I've used for houmus in the past. It has a much more powerful engine than normal handhelds, reflected in the price (mine cost £115), but cheaper than the kitchenaid. It is slightly harder work on houmus, but it's useful for so much more and takes up very little space. My first one lasted for between 12-15 years, but was used almost daily. I nearly cried when the switch went! I wouldn't be without one now.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Have to say though, you'd have to make and eat an awful lot of houmus to make it value for money if that is all you are likely to use it for!
    Actually I've just remembered, one of my clients brought me a 'baby sized Kenwood' for Xmas and its perfect for things like Pesto, mayonnaise and Humous, and chopping herbs and nuts too.
    Although you couldn't make a cake or blend soup in it.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Have to say though, you'd have to make and eat an awful lot of houmus to make it value for money if that is all you are likely to use it for!
    I've never had the need to properly blend/puree stuff before, so haven't needed to acquire one, but once I do take that step I'll use it for a lot of the chopping/slicing/grating I do too.

Ideally I'll get one that can do cake mixes as well

Not convinced by the Artisan, tempted by a Magimix (http://goo.gl/JZlVj) but currently favouring a Kenwood : http://goo.gl/zHw2c

All the add-ons I could possibly need, variable speed and built-in scales!

My gran had a Kenwood all in one, liquidiser and mixer that is still getting used by my aunt - it is definitely older than me, and I'm sure it has years left in it.

WT

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    My gran had a Kenwood all in one, liquidiser and mixer that is still getting used by my aunt - it is definitely older than me, and I'm sure it has years left in it.

WT
    My mum had a Kenwood when I was a teen and I'm sure she still has it now! I too have one (not that I use it much)

Thread Information