Thread: New e-mail client (MUA?)

New e-mail client (MUA?)

As I lost everything during the 'big crash of 2010' I'm looking for recommendations for a new e-mail client.

I already have an e-mail address (web mail service?) so just need a way to get my e-mails from there and onto my laptop.

I've had a brief look at Windows Live but that seems to include a whole heap of other stuff that may just slow my system and that I'm not sure I'll ever use.

I've decided I'm completely dumb when it comes to computers so easy recommendations will be welcomed - anything else will just confuse me.

Cheers
    gb

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: New e-mail client (MUA?)

use gmail - can get mail from it from anywhere, and retrieve mail from anywhere with it. i dont use anything else

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    use gmail - can get mail from it from anywhere, and retrieve mail from anywhere with it. i dont use anything else
    So does that mean you don't use a client that stores emails locally, and your emails are only stored on gmail servers? (ie you have to be online to access them?)
    Love dance, will travel

David you can access your gmail account using IMAP.

Claire that means that you can access them from any computer using a web browser but you can also keep a complete copy of everything on your laptop that you can browse offline.

In short I'd go with DS's recommendation, I use it personally and also set it up for work as the service we use for email. Claire if you'd like something a bit more personal than something536@gmail.com you can buy your own domain name i.e. birdhouse.co.uk (sadly not available, I checked) but get gmail to run it for you, i.e. all the benefits but a bit more personal

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    David you can access your gmail account using IMAP.

Claire that means that you can access them from any computer using a web browser but you can also keep a complete copy of everything on your laptop that you can browse offline.

In short I'd go with DS's recommendation, I use it personally and also set it up for work as the service we use for email. Claire if you'd like something a bit more personal than something536@gmail.com you can buy your own domain name i.e. birdhouse.co.uk (sadly not available, I checked) but get gmail to run it for you, i.e. all the benefits but a bit more personal
    But I think it's the client that the original question was about, rather than the email provider.

I was interested to know whether DS was recommending not having a local client at all?
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    But I think it's the client that the original question was about, rather than the email provider.

I was interested to know whether DS was recommending not having a local client at all?
    Sorry David, did speed read things a bit. I used to use Thunderbird alot, and still set it as the default one at work, the only reason I don't use it personally is that since moving to a mac I used apple mail as it integrated better with addressbook etc. and Thunderbird at the time wasn't able to provide the same integration.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post

Yes. If i really wanted to, i could download all my emails locally for a backup, but i never do. I used thunderbird once, maybe 4 years or more ago, but have used gmail ever since. I still have some pop3 accounts from my isp but i pick them up into gmail (you can have up to 5 pop3 mailboxes per gmail account you can pick up from, but as you can have as many gmail accounts as you like, you can chain them and make it infinite )

Had another quick look and there is the option to use gmail offline via a web browser. Can't try it myself as it isn't supported on my browser/OS combination, might be worth a look!

Thanks once again 'geeks'

That's my homework for tonight sorted then...but may be followed by more questions

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Had another quick look and there is the option to use gmail offline via a web browser. Can't try it myself as it isn't supported on my browser/OS combination, might be worth a look!
    I use gmail in that way. Usually just log on, but it's useful to have the option to access it offline. It will then just sync itself when you connect to the Internet. That way I don't need Thunderbird or anything else.

I'm not a fan of webmail. I use TrulyMail as an email client and it really works well (built in voice message recording, etc.). You should check it out.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

i wouldn't go with an unknown program with a silly name and gmail's offline mode means it isnt just webmail.

Thread Information