Thread: Active speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Active speakers

Can anyone offer me some advice on a decent pair of active speakers? There's so many out there that I'm getting a little lost!

It's for a hall big enough for around 80 to 100 people on a regular night and I've not got a huge budget, so value for money is (surprise, surprise) important.

I'll need to plug a single mic and laptop into them and would prefer them to have the hat-top mounting for putting on the tripod stands. Other than that, not bothered about things like make, etc...

Any help hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Commercial Operator

Re: Active speakers

I used to own a pair of Warrior L300P speakers - did a good job for the money (about £200 from memory off of ebay)
    I'd suggest getting a mixer as well though - doesn't need to be fancy, but it makes life easier.
    you may need to investigate a gizmo for reducing earth hum, many halls wiring can introduce quite a buzz. Maplins used to do one for a tenner that worked well

Commercial Operator

We use Mackies - SRM350s. Wonderful, wonderful speakers - although possibly not as cheap as you like (brand new costs around £350 apiece) - you haven't quantified what you regard as a 'huge budget' though, so I thought then worth mentioning.

If they are within your budget, they're worth every penny.

A big to clevedonboy's suggestion about a mixer & ground loop isolator(s) (the latter are cheap, invaluable, and easily found on Amazon)

Really depends how much you're willing to spend. I use QSC K12s myself but they are at the dearer end of the scale. Nonetheless for the money they sound absolutely top notch and will easily sort you out in a room of 80-100 people!

As a dancer, on behalf of us down on the floor, can I appeal to you to spend as much as you can afford
    A good sound sound system will ensure your customers come back
    and should be a sound investment

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    As a dancer, on behalf of us down on the floor, can I appeal to you to spend as much as you can afford
    A good sound sound system will ensure your customers come back
    and should be a sound investment
    Gotta agree there Phils! I made the stupid mistake some time ago of buying cheap - they were awful..! Luckily I was able to rectify the (very) poor sound quality before it caused any lasting damage.

This time around I am naturally keen not to repeat the same mistake...

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

I didn't state what budget I'd be looking at as I'm still getting a feel I guess... But to get an idea, the "QSC K12s" are just way over for me! The "Mackie SRM-450" look like a very popular choice. At around the £800 mark for a pair of B Stock, it makes me think rather hard. The "JBL eon 15 G2" aren't much cheaper and these (like the Mackie's) need a separate mixer...

One of the appeals of active speakers (at least, in my mind) is ease of set up and break down - plug in and play. Simples. So the "Samson Audio XPL300", suggested by Andy are looking pretty good to me. At £410, or so, for a pair of B Trade they are "do-able" budget wise.

Does anyone else here have any experience of these speakers? Reliability, quality..?

Thanks again everyone for your help

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    We use Mackies - SRM350s. Wonderful, wonderful speakers - although possibly not as cheap as you like (brand new costs around £350 apiece) - you haven't quantified what you regard as a 'huge budget' though, so I thought then worth mentioning.
    I've got one SRM350 that I use for infill. I've also got a pair of SRM450s. I think the larger speaker is better because it gives you more bass. But a pair of the smaller speakers would be fine in a smaller room.

However, the Mackies don't really have a mixer built in. You can switch from mic input to line, but that's not the same as having a mixer as you can't do both at the same time.

I've stubled on a real bargain at www.whybuynew.co.uk. They have some fantastically portable Samson XPL300 speakers for £205 each. I've got a pair of these speakers and they have always worked well for me - they give more bass than the SRM350 but not as much as the SRM450.

The great thing about the Samson's is that they have a mixer built in to the back. You can plug in your mic and MP3/Laptop and have them both playing at the same time. You can even set them up to sound like a church or other halls if that's your thing. And they have built in wheels and an extending handle for easy transport - although the handle has snapped off on both of mine so you will need to take care who you let wheel your speaker!

Here is the link http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/dj-equipm...ker-single.htm

p.s. There is even the option of a battery pack with the Samson's so you can play it loud on the beach or at a busk.

Commercial Operator

My favourites are the JBL eon 15 G2. I prefer their sound quality to the Mackie, and they seem more solid. They will do all you want and more, but you'd have to go second hand to get a pair for around £400 - £450. (I've just had a quick look, and they now seem to be £560 new! So you might have to wait around for some time before you can pick up a bargain.) Some years ago I bought a spare in case of any problems, and I've never needed to use it.
    Although they do have a mixer built in, I'd recommend getting one for ease of use and versatility.

Greg

Thread Information