Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MP3 Players

Re: MP3 Players

OK, so I bought a dinky little iPod on ebay which is so small I have to read the screen with a magnifying glass. Why don't they modify them for OAPs?

Next problem is, I can't get it to work. (I'm assuming for the moment the seller was honest when she said it worked for her - she has offered an immediate refund.) I have left it charging overnight and reformatted it to factory settings.

A message came up saying it had to be reformatted to work with Windows, not sure if this actually happened. Any suggestions as to what to try next? The screen has a flashing "no entry" sign and it says "do not disconnect"

Model, brand would help jivecat - these things can be model specific. I've can't remember a working iPod to need formatting to be Windows compatible. (iPod as in from Apple? - some use iPod interchangeably with mp3 player which can be confusing).

Quote Originally Posted by t0mt0m View Post
    Model, brand would help jivecat - these things can be model specific. I've can't remember a working iPod to need formatting to be Windows compatible. (iPod as in from Apple? - some use iPod interchangeably with mp3 player which can be confusing).
    It's an Apple iPod nano 1st Generation.

manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPod_nano_Features_Guide.pdf
    (p45 onwards - p46 sounds a bit similar to the issue you're having?)

If you don't mind wiping the contents off the nano, and starting fresh, plug it in, see if it shows up when you open iTunes.
    If so, you should be able to right click the icon/description for it on the left hand side of itunes, and have an option to restore it.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    A message came up saying it had to be reformatted to work with Windows, not sure if this actually happened. Any suggestions as to what to try next? The screen has a flashing "no entry" sign and it says "do not disconnect"
    Do you have iTunes installed?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Do you have iTunes installed?
    Yes, and updated.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Yes, and updated.
    Throw it and get a real MP3 player. Quicker, Easier and will be less expensive in the long run.

Is it not something to do with the fact that once you change PC's you can no longer keep the songs on there? I know of people who have brought a new PC then lost £100's worth of songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Throw it and get a real MP3 player. Quicker, Easier and will be less expensive in the long run.

Is it not something to do with the fact that once you change PC's you can no longer keep the songs on there? I know of people who have brought a new PC then lost £100's worth of songs.

*** it is a real MP3 player, in as it plays MP3s! It just needs reformatting for windows.

You can transfer all your music if you change PCs, as it's all authorised from your iTunes ID. All music is non-DRM from last year so this is even less of a problem.

Can you check your facts before spreading crap? Or maybe you'd like to recommend the Zune?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    *** it is a real MP3 player, in as it plays MP3s! It just needs reformatting for windows.

You can transfer all your music if you change PCs, as it's all authorised from your iTunes ID. All music is non-DRM from last year so this is even less of a problem.

Can you check your facts before spreading crap? Or maybe you'd like to recommend the Zune?

As I said I know a few people who have lost all their music. No I wouldn't recommend a Zune simply because I have not played with one or know enough about them.

I have played with ipods and have fixed enough PC's with problems due to Itunes slowing them down (along with the dreadful Quicktime) to know they are a problem

No bickering please!

As you may have gathered all I care about is getting some sort of working option so the situation is as it is. There's no point in debating rival systems cos it ain't gonna happen! I am not about to bin this item on Lee's say-so but I would sincerely like some practical pointers.

Zune???

DRM??

I have managed to loadsome music onto it from my PC (very, very old) but it was incomplete. I can't work out how to send selected tracks only to it. I have to agree with Lee than itunes is a bit rubbish and non-intuitive but ohter people manage to use it and so will I.

Click on the iPod in the devices section on left hand side.
    Should then have tabs up the top for the central section of iTunes (Summary, Infor, Music etc).
    Click on Music. Should then have option to sync music - entire library, or selected playlists, artists, albums and genres.
    Or you can go to Summary, and just sync only checked songs and videos (if you've ticked or unticked them that way).
    Playlists can be easier - depends what you like doing.

Less pocketable, but does anyone have experience of the DJ-Decks style of dual MP3 players ?

KAM KHD2000
    DJ-Tech U-1

I have one of the latter, and am learning to drive it !
    2 memory card slots and usb memory
    looping
    variable speed without changing pitch ...

Thread Information