Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Book - Sex on the DanceFloor

New Book - Sex on the DanceFloor

Over the New Year period talk had turned to reminiscing, as it does, and I was regaling some muggles with some of the stories of what had gone on in the MJ world over the last 10 years. For the dancers there at the time it was nothing special, the usual: teachers having affairs with married students, the goings on at the weekenders; the politics and sabotage over competing venues etc etc ... However, the muggles were amazed and asked why nobody had written a book about it.

That did get me thinking. I remember five years ago that a rather self-important member of the dance scene was actually writing a book with specific reference to some of the better known instructors at the time. I don't know if it ever made it to press ... but my question is this. If someone DID write such a book and just changed the names of the 'guilty' ... would anyone be able to sue the author on the basis that the story was too near to the truth?

Re: New Book - Sex on the DanceFloor

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    That did get me thinking. I remember five years ago that a rather self-important member of the dance scene was actually writing a book with specific reference to some of the better known instructors at the time. I don't know if it ever made it to press ... but my question is this. If someone DID write such a book and just changed the names of the 'guilty' ... would anyone be able to sue the author on the basis that the story was too near to the truth?
    I threaten to take legal action against the 17 women who were going to contribute to the book.

That donkey never came out of my chalet

ps I dont get 'sex on the dance floor' a dance last 2/3 mins how the hell would sex ever last that long ??.

would anyone be able to sue the author on the basis that the story was too near to the truth?
    Provided the book contains the appropriate disclaimers, probably not.

I've seen quite a few films that started with the words 'Based on a true story' but in the credits included the words 'This film is fiction, any similarity between this film and any persons living or dead is purely coincidental etc. etc.'

Have you started writing yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    Have you started writing yet?
    Must admit that I started writing something a few years back but lost interest ... lots of material but little story writting aptitude While I'm still on sick leave I should really give it another go .... would be ahhpy to receive more stories from around the dance world. Sure there are a few 'characters' out there who would be a bit nervous if some of the real life stories came out Should we start a poll as to whom would be most nervous and seek a super-injunction?

I've seen quite a few films that started with the words 'Based on a true story' but in the credits included the words 'This film is fiction, any similarity between this film and any persons living or dead is purely coincidental etc. etc.'
    Not my area of expertise, but I think it's standard practice to get permission from the people the characters might resemble - the on-screen disclaimer is merely a visible aid to easing deniability (for the film maker, and for the individuals not being represented).

If the intent is to create dance-scene inspired fiction, perhaps use known incidents as inspiration, but intentionally attribute them to very different characters in the book. Create new characters that incorporate an amalgam of various people; that way they resemble nobody specific but can still display the traits important to the tales of intrigue and woe.

For a more documentary style book I suspect individual permission would be needed. That's often possible, especially if you promise to portray both views - see the recent The Social Network film for a very contentious subject portrayed with balance and active participation of the key players.

Either way, publishers are going to be very chary of publishing anything that might expose them to legal action, so find an expert before putting much effort into it.

Or just create an anonymous blog with the names and salacious details and wait for us to find it

I know it isn't really on thread, but in the recent Robin Hood film with Russell Crowe, it says the usual blurb about all characters being fictitious, despite portraying King Richard I, King John and their mother Eleanor of Aquitaine. A small oops perhaps.

I actually started writing one 6 months ago (I've done about 7000 words). Having been 'on the scene' for over 12 years I'd got plenty of material but got stuck because it was almost impossible to hide the true identities of people and I was worried about getting sued. Also, I think non-dancers would find the whole thing entirely incomprehensible! I'm a student nurse now (as well as a Ceroc teacher) so the book is now on the backburner for the forseeable...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Over the New Year period talk had turned to reminiscing, as it does, and I was regaling some muggles with some of the stories of what had gone on in the MJ world over the last 10 years. For the dancers there at the time it was nothing special, the usual: teachers having affairs with married students, the goings on at the weekenders; the politics and sabotage over competing venues etc etc ... However, the muggles were amazed and asked why nobody had written a book about it.
    Coz, unless it's very well-written, it's a boring topic...

It's like writing about the infighting at any other niche activity. Who wants to read about the feuds between two competing, I dunno, judo clubs?

Well I did hear tell of one guy who moved away from Barnet to Peterborough a while back. I'll call him Gas in my book I reckon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I threaten to take legal action against the 17 women who were going to contribute to the book.
    17, you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    That donkey never came out of my chalet
    Look, it was a panto costume, OK? And you never called afterwards.

Commercial Operator

Unfortunately for the plot of the book, the majority of people who meet on the MJ dance floor and susequently have sex are single and available.

There's a few players and a few naughty boys and the rare naughty girl. But there's so few they will be identifiable by their actions. We'd know who we're talking about if we refer to sex in the loo of a moving coach on the way to Britrock, we'd know who it was who did it in the stairway at Camber, etc, etc.

N.B. I've chosen events that, to my knowledge, didn't happen. I tried writing events that did happen and it was obvious who I was talking about!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Look, it was a panto costume, OK? And you never called afterwards.
    You never gave your real name and number. S38 should have known Mr Hunglika is not a real donkey's name

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    We'd know who we're talking about if we refer to sex in the loo of a moving coach on the way to Britrock, we'd know who it was who did it in the stairway at Camber, etc, etc.
    Sounds more and more like the 'script' for the "Only Way is Essex" ..... From a commercial point of view, not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

There's a few players and a few naughty boys and the rare naughty girl. But there's so few they will be identifiable by their actions
    You are joking, right? In a ten minute conversation today I learnt another three 'tales of shame' I wasn't aware of. I know about 20/25 such tales and I haven't been around on the scene for a couple of years.

By way of getting me started on writing this opus, if people could send me in the stories they know, changing the names, we could see what we could compile. OR ... how about we post half a dozen stories and punters have top guess if they are true or false and if true who were the parties involved

Commercial Operator

You are joking, right? In a ten minute conversation today I learnt another three 'tales of shame' I wasn't aware of. I know about 20/25 such tales and I haven't been around on the scene for a couple of years.
    My point is that we'd know who it was from the description of their actions.

However, are you going to come forward to complain that is was you are the cheating love rat who had a girlfriend in every Essex jive class?

You'd probably be too tired to lift the book

I find it pretty ironic that you are considering such a book Gus after you promised to 'sort me out' away from the forum a few years back after I mentioned that I'd heard similar stories involving yourself

Maybe you could road-test the stories on this thread?

Blog Entries

You never gave your real name and number. S38 should have known Mr Hunglika is not a real donkey's name
    Could have been worse, at least I was the front end.

I have recently written a book all about my own sexual exloits on the dance scene, Parker bros have bought the rights to it and made it into a childrens game.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I find it pretty ironic that you are considering such a book Gus after you promised to 'sort me out' away from the forum a few years back after I mentioned that I'd heard similar stories involving yourself
    This is the real problem. Someone being identified by their actions is not the problem - so long as it's all true. The problem comes when it's untrue.

Let's consider an event which has many witnesses. Let's say some people had sex in a public place such as the stairs at Camber duing the freestyle. Many people witnessed this event and could identify the 3 people involved. If this event was reported accurately in "Sex on the Dance Floor" the 3 people involved could do nothing to stop it's publication or claim any kind of damages. However, if someone were to, incorrectly, assert that Gus was one of those 3 people he could make a claim against the publishers.

Especially if Gus could prove he was having sex with a donkey in drag on a completely different set of stairs

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    Not my area of expertise, but I think it's standard practice to get permission from the people the characters might resemble - the on-screen disclaimer is merely a visible aid to easing deniability (for the film maker, and for the individuals not being represented).

If the intent is to create dance-scene inspired fiction, perhaps use known incidents as inspiration, but intentionally attribute them to very different characters in the book. Create new characters that incorporate an amalgam of various people; that way they resemble nobody specific but can still display the traits important to the tales of intrigue and woe.

For a more documentary style book I suspect individual permission would be needed. That's often possible, especially if you promise to portray both views - see the recent The Social Network film for a very contentious subject portrayed with balance and active participation of the key players.

Either way, publishers are going to be very chary of publishing anything that might expose them to legal action, so find an expert before putting much effort into it.

Or just create an anonymous blog with the names and salacious details and wait for us to find it
    Take the author of this book. I don't beleive she received permission to publish from any of the characters she wrote about.

You could write some stuff about what went on in the MJ scene. If the details were kept sparse (e.g. locations and dates omitted),10 different people reading it in 10 different parts of the UK would all have different ideas regarding the true identities of the characters.

This is the real problem. Someone being identified by their actions is not the problem - so long as it's all true. The problem comes when it's untrue.
    And whenever there's more than one person involved, there's always going to be more than one version of 'the truth'.

Commercial Operator

You could write some stuff about what went on in the MJ scene. If the details were kept sparse (e.g. locations and dates omitted),10 different people reading it in 10 different parts of the UK would all have different ideas regarding the true identities of the characters.
    Unfortunately there are some people who move about a lot. They do the same thing in each place, get found out and then move on to a new place.

They might even claim that the whole book is about them - and they can probably produce video evidence and photographs to prove it

Thread Information