Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Book - Sex on the DanceFloor

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: New Book - Sex on the DanceFloor

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    You could write some stuff about what went on in the MJ scene. If the details were kept sparse (e.g. locations and dates omitted),10 different people reading it in 10 different parts of the UK would all have different ideas regarding the true identities of the characters.
    But being serious - no-one cares; at least, no-one outside the very small MJ dance world does. And not many within it do, either.

Blimey, this stuff goes on every Saturday night in nightclubs all over the UK - why should anyone want to read about the far more tame world of MJ?

Unless it's written by someone who has the talent to make anything interesting, it'll be boring as hell. It took Nick Hornby to make me read about football, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I find it pretty ironic that you are considering such a book Gus after you promised to 'sort me out' away from the forum a few years back after I mentioned that I'd heard similar stories involving yourself
    It may be appreciated if you could rephrase that. I don't remember threatening you (as I interpret what you said) though if you would care to reprint my comments at the time I will stand to be corrected. I have experienced your tendancy for 'journalistic licencse' wit the truth so I may well have been keen to nip any malicious allegation in the bud, as would anyone. I don;t see how this runs contrary to writing a novel about the dance scene where the content would by its very nature vary between known fact and salacious fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Blimey, this stuff goes on every Saturday night in nightclubs all over the UK - why should anyone want to read about the far more tame world of MJ?
    Youve obviously not watched whats on TV these days, especially"The ONly Way is Essex". I would venture that Joe Public wants exeactly this type of thing. The Ceroc bit is merely background ... there are enough entertaining things going on round the circuit that, if written well, would bound to please someone.

But being serious - no-one cares; at least, no-one outside the very small MJ dance world does. And not many within it do, either.

Unless it's written by someone who has the talent to make anything interesting, it'll be boring as hell. It took Nick Hornby to make me read about football, for example.
    Plenty of people read Belle-de-Jour. Was it because it was well written, or because there's something that fascinates people about paying for sex.

If it's the latter, maybe a book about gigolos and ladies-of-the-night who solicit business on the MJ scene would be more interesting?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Plenty of people read Belle-de-Jour. Was it because it was well written, or because there's something that fascinates people about paying for sex.
    Both, I imagine - combined with a massive marketing boost from an extremely famous and well-written blog.

But it was both well-written and it was about selling sex.

I can't see any publisher touching a book about MJ, unless it was extremely well-written. It's not inherently that "sexy" - a book based around the salsa or AT scenes would be inherently more appealing in that sense.

If it's the latter, maybe a book about gigolos and ladies-of-the-night who solicit business on the MJ scene would be more interesting?
    Well it'd be novel, hahahaa...

oh course no-one cares.... but most people still like to gossip about things anyway

Do you really think people would know who is being spoken of from a description of the events? Only if you know the story beforehand - even then the biggest "scandals" aren't known by everyone.

We are much smaller over here (NZ) but we still don't get all the stories going around. The amount of times I have heard "what??! seriously, you didnt hear about that? I thought everyone knew!" - and that is usually in response to querying why there seems to be tension between two (or three!) people.

I would love to hear some of the scandalous stories you have other there, but I guess I'm just terribly nosy and love a shocking tale

OR .... the story could be based on the many true stories of people coming to Ceroc when their personal life was in tatters and finding hope and a partner for life ...... think the 'happy story' could be a commercial success? It would be nice to think so.

Commercial Operator

I had plenty of ideas for a comedy fiction along these lines about 15 years ago. Unfortunately with time passing, each one of those ideas has been burst by turning into reality.
    I think it could be a goer if it was funny enough, maybe DS would step up to the mark?

Greg

Thread Information