Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Nav Help needed

Sat Nav Help needed

Last night after 4 and bit years of faithful service, (whilst doing a good deed for someone) my sat nav died suddenly.

Nice and quiet here at work today so have tried to do some research into a new one and found there is a baffling array to choose from. I like the simplicity of my now late Tom Tom.

Has anyone got any recommendations. I don’t need anything too flash but do want one that remembers recent addresses and my home address.

Help please

Re: Sat Nav Help needed

I was given a Tom Tom car dock for my iphone this Christmas which is excellent and acts as a hands free too. Why not get one of these and get a sat nav app for your phone.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

I bought a new Tom Tom XL IQ Routes ~ 9 months ago and it's been great - big improvement on my old sat nav. Got it on Amazon - looks there there is a new edition out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    my sat nav died suddenly
    Sorry to hear that. Have you tried the reset button or do really want an excuse for a new one

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Have you tried the reset button or do really want an excuse for a new one
    Oh I have had a fiddle with everything. I was quite happy with it. It always got me form A to B with just one exception. I am quite adept at breaking things but sadly inept at repairing but I will always have a go

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    I was given a Tom Tom car dock for my iphone this Christmas which is excellent and acts as a hands free too. Why not get one of these and get a sat nav app for your phone.
    Quite liked the idea of this option but I am just a bit worried about putting all my technology in one basket. The other thing is that it is quite a dear option if I have to buy dock and download the app.

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    I bought a new Tom Tom XL IQ Routes ~ 9 months ago and it's been great - big improvement on my old sat nav. Got it on Amazon - looks there there is a new edition out now.
    I think this was one that I was looking at on John Lewis website. Does it hold your home address and other recent destinations?

The Tom Tom 1000 live came out top on the gaget shows list of Satnavs

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    The Tom Tom 1000 live came out top on the gaget shows list of Satnavs
    My normal M.O. is to buy the most up to date gadget with bells on etc, then use only the basic programme. I must resist because the one Northants Girly is recommending is half the price and hopefully does what I actually need. But soooo tempted.

But soooo tempted
    It is christmas

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What model is your late Tom Tom? as I remember having a poke around with someone's once and found a 'very very small hole' in which to poke something like a pen nib in to reset it and I got it working again
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Does it hold your home address and other recent destinations?
    Yes and you can save fav destinations.
    I um . . ed and r . . ed about whether to get a wide screen or not but I'm glad I did. I also wasn't sure about whether to get Europe maps on it or not but on the advice of a friend I did and it's already been (successfully) put to use.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I wouldnt spend more than £100 on a satnav - £72 is plenty. The Garmin-255 seems good : Offical Site here then US amazon reviews ...
    buy it in the uk here for £72 with all european maps

it has good features, pedestrian mode (if you are geocaching perhaps ) anti-theft, pictures for landmarks,

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    What model is your late Tom Tom? as I remember having a poke around with someone's once and found a 'very very small hole' in which to poke something like a pen nib in to reset it and I got it working again
    I've had a look at my Tom Tom "One" and it's got that small hole. You need something like a paper clip to do this re-set but it should work if it's a simple software problem.

Ive got the latest tom tom, they are pretty good, but not a patch for me on the honda civic satnav fitted from factory. dont know if anything incorporates the feature of a dial/Joystick that allows you to zoom in and out with the dial and pan the screen via the joystick but they are lightyears ahead of the tom tom controls. the touchscreen zoom in and out are crap on the tom tom and there is no pan feature which is invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine;
    [Quite liked the iedea of this option but I am just a bit worried about putting all my technology in one basket. The other thing is that it is quite a dear option if I have to buy dock and download the app.
    Might be worth trying out a free iphone app, and any old mount to see if it works for you, before spending money.

http://www.techradar.com/news/portab...nav-app-719527

My normal M.O. is to buy the most up to date gadget with bells on etc, then use only the basic programme. I must resist because the one Northants Girly is recommending is half the price and hopefully does what I actually need. But soooo tempted.
    The TomTom 1000 is lacking quite a few bells in any case.

Thanks everyone for you advice, really appreciate it; I also noted that the advice was almost as diverse as the choice.

Well Lory and Andy, I tried sticking needles in every orifice available, especially the one on the front but unfortunately to no avail.

So have gone out today, endured sale hell and purchase the Tom Tom, recommended by Northants Girly. Mid range price has the functions I need but not all the functions I desire but you can't have everything.

It does have European Maps, which will be very useful when I have to go to Spain in a few months for my nieces wedding

Unfortunately I had my newish Sat Nav stolen out of my car yesterday/today. So I have to buy another or I’ll never make it to my dance venues.

I was looking on a Sat Nav comparison site and noticed a greatly reduced in price Garmin Nuvi 1440, which has very useful 3D pictures. Has anyone got a Garmin. Are they reliable? Are they easy to programme? Or should I stick with TomTom?

Unfortunately I had my newish Sat Nav stolen out of my car yesterday/today. So I have to buy another or I’ll never make it to my dance venues.

I was looking on a Sat Nav comparison site and noticed a greatly reduced in price Garmin Nuvi 1440, which has very useful 3D pictures. Has anyone got a Garmin. Are they reliable? Are they easy to programme? Or should I stick with TomTom?

A useful tip, use the Sat Nav to get you to venue but don't use it when going home, that way you start to learn how to get to events without solely reallying on the Sat Nav all the time

I was told not to put my home address in under the 'home' option as a security measure. Presumably if they nick it out of your car - they can check your home address and, presuming you're not parked outside it, they know you're not at home and can then go and nick all your other possessions!
    So mine's in as my name in my addresses section instead - along with all my other friends

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gamebird View Post
    I was told not to put my home address in under the 'home' option as a security measure. Presumably if they nick it out of your car - they can check your home address and, presuming you're not parked outside it, they know you're not at home and can then go and nick all your other possessions!
    Errr.... not convinced on that front. Firstly, surely they won't know that there's no-one home, simply because they don't see a car there? Secondly, most burglaries are opportunity-based rather than planned.

Thirdly, surely a better security system is to simply put your postcode in as "home" - without the street number. If you're in a busy street, all that tells the thief is that you live within 50 yards of that postcode - and there's probably dozens of houses.

Quote Originally Posted by gamebird View Post
    So mine's in as my name in my addresses section instead - along with all my other friends
    Errr, that sounds far less secure - you're giving out people's names and addresses there...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that, that's a real pain.

If you have an iPhone or other smartphone, why not use Google Maps on that? You can get an iPhone holder for a fiver, and it's "good enough" to get you there.

Thread Information