Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: New year, new dance...(apparently)

Re: New year, new dance...(apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    I was referring to the fact that many men don't remember the moves taught in the intermediate class from one week to the next. I'm not sure why - if you can remember the basic moves what's the problem with remembering the intermediate ones too? Maybe it's a psychological barrier more than anything else
    I think the majority of leaders (myself included) actually find it pretty difficult to remember all the moves taught in an intermediate class. Several reasons for this;

- remembering moves is hard full stop (unless you are especially gifted)
    - It's even harder if there are four or more moves and the moves themselves are quite complex or tricky
    - Unlike the beginner moves of which there are a very small number which get endlessly repeated, intermediate moves are rarely repeated from one week to the next and there are many hundreds to chose from

It is also true that many leaders filter the intermediate class and will only select out the occasional move to add to their repertoire. A lot of moves get rejected because a leader either doesn't like them for some reason, finds them hard to execute smoothly and confidently or does not think that the move suits their style of dancing. Leaders will make little or no effort to master such moves beyond that which is necessary to get through the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    I think the majority of leaders (myself included) actually find it pretty difficult to remember all the moves taught in an intermediate class. Several reasons for this;

- remembering moves is hard full stop (unless you are especially gifted)
    - It's even harder if there are four or more moves and the moves themselves are quite complex or tricky
    - Unlike the beginner moves of which there are a very small number which get endlessly repeated, intermediate moves are rarely repeated from one week to the next and there are many hundreds to chose from

It is also true that many leaders filter the intermediate class and will only select out the occasional move to add to their repertoire. A lot of moves get rejected because a leader either doesn't like them for some reason, finds them hard to execute smoothly and confidently or does not think that the move suits their style of dancing. Leaders will make little or no effort to master such moves beyond that which is necessary to get through the class.
    Thanks for the insight, Lost Leader

I was trying hard not to make it sound derogatory or dismissive when I wrote my previous post, but reading it back now I think I failed I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention.

What I was trying to convey was puzzlement over why intermediate moves seem little remembered in comparison to beginner moves. It was my assumption that they don't get remembered because there's too many to learn at once. Now I understand better

[QUOTE=Lost Leader;587757]

It is also true that many leaders filter the intermediate class and will only select out the occasional move to add to their repertoire. [QUOTE]

I would go so far as to say that most Leaders (including moi) will have say 20 moves in their repertoire, as they learn and add a move to this list an older move will be forgotten.

I think the really good dancers move on to shapes within their dance, if they get a follower into a certain position they will have a number of different ways to move her from that position, they seem to forget about patterns and its all about movement.

Quote Originally Posted by meghann View Post
    Thanks for the insight, Lost Leader

I was trying hard not to make it sound derogatory or dismissive when I wrote my previous post, but reading it back now I think I failed I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention.
    No need to worry Meghann, I had not interpreted your comments as derogatory or dismissive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    It is also true that many leaders filter the intermediate class and will only select out the occasional move to add to their repertoire.
    The ladies would often compliment me on the size of my repertoire. And how it used to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I would go so far as to say that most Leaders (including moi) will have say 20 moves in their repertoire, as they learn and add a move to this list an older move will be forgotten.

And in addition to my reply to Lost Leader. I found that after about 8/9 years I found that even new intermediate moves became increasingly easy to pick up during the class. Thus I didn't practice them during freestyle. As a result I found myself with my repertoire not increasing. Viktor used to pick me up on it and tell me off. Especially as he only started 6 months before me. I would often get disheartened during an evening with my lack of moves even though I knew the reason. I managed to keep going in the knowledge that the moves I did know were not known by many of the people I danced with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I think the really good dancers move on to shapes within their dance, if they get a follower into a certain position they will have a number of different ways to move her from that position, they seem to forget about patterns and its all about movement.

One of the fundamental differences between a beginner and an intermediate (perhaps more so between an intermediate and a "guru"). Is not the moves themselves but how the moves are performed. A classic example is the basic 1st move between one learning it as a beginner and being very stagnant and 3/4 years later when you make it open and flowing.

Blog Entries

They've gone & changed the Neckbreak! The spinny bit's been removed & it's now a beginner move (again)!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    They've gone & changed the Neckbreak! The spinny bit's been removed & it's now a beginner move (again)!
    Which one's that? Is that the one where the leader holds his right arm up and to the side? Christ, I used to know all this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Christ, I used to know all this stuff...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Do you mean the one-and-a-half turns in one beat? That was too much for many intermediates.

Do they still have the 'how' signal?

Thread Information