View Poll Results: What do you think of the snow?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it and I want more more more

17 36.17%
  • I loved it but now its getting inconvenient

16 34.04%
  • I like Snow on Xmas morning and that's it!

7 14.89%
  • I hate snow, its cold, wet, slippy, dangerous and it makes my car dirty!

7 14.89%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Snow...

Well, it was lovely when it first fell

but... all I've heard today, is people having accidents, people getting stuck in traffic gridlocks, peoples flights being delayed and the channel tunnel fiasco etc

Where I live, the 'first' snow had well and truly compacted, then this afternoon, it started to rain, which began to melt it slightly, then that rain turned to heavy snow, which has settled and now its freezing again. I reckon its going to be lethal out there later

I've got the flu, so I suppose its a small compensation to know, I'm not missing out on much, as I wouldn't be going out anyway!

So, after 3 days, do you still like the snow?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Snow...

Sorry to hear you've got flu, that's no fun, especially at Christmas

I voted for the annoying option, I had to drive in it today - luckily didn't go sliding around but only because I drove at about 1mph!

Love the snow, hate the fact that most brits can't drive in it. I lived in Canada (Whistler) for a while, so learnt to drive on snow. And here in the UK I make sure my cars are 4wd (Golf R32, Audi 2.0T Quattro, next one might be the Audi RS TT ).

I don't get what all the big fuss is about. Mainly it seems to be idiots who think they have to rev the tits off something to go forward rather than letting the gears do the work for them or b) muppets who don't realise taking your foot off the accelerator slows you down, no need to brake hard and start sliding when you feel the ABS cut in

So, love the snow, just wish I had a hill nearby to get my skis and snowboard out of the attic.

I love it and hate it.

I love when I'm walking through woods and every little branch and twig is covered and the sun is shining.

I love it when its floating down softly and gently at night when I'm outside well wrapped up (had this on Sat night on the way home from a freestyle).

I love how it blankets, softens and transforms scenery.

I love it when I can stay inside warm and cosy with a hot drink by the fire and look out at it.

I hate it when its refrozen and its hard and slippy.

I hate it when I have to drive in it - mainly because the whole traffic system seems to grind to a halt - or worse, when I can't get to where I want to go because of it (missed a friends wedding once because of it).

It hasn't been bad enough here in NI the past few days to cause any travel problems - its just been enough to look pretty.

I've voted for I loved it but now its getting inconvenient - purely for the fact that i am driving south in a couple of days and it seems to be causing all sorts of chaos down there - normally I'm a more more more sort of girl!!!

What? You still get snow?

What happened to Global Warming?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    I voted for the annoying option, I had to drive in it today - luckily didn't go sliding around but only because I drove at about 1mph!
    Oh, that was you was it?

It's usually old dears around here that're scared of driving in the snow, but still insist on trying and getting in everyone else's way.

Why is 'now' pronounced with a silent 'w' but 'snow' is not?

I love the snow when I don't need to get to work, dancing, shopping etc, but otherwise I detest it.

Oxfordshire don't seem to even grit the main roads round by us, let alone the roads we live on, and even with a 4WD (unfortunately I don't have one as my car allowance wasn't high enough for one) it's lethal on the roads even once the sun is up. Just 5 minutes down the road, Warwickshire grit the back roads as well (or did last year). Luckily I can work from home as I'd have got out from here, but not got into work itself which is near High Wycombe and is treacherous at the moment.

Unfortunately with my nearest shop 7 miles away and every route out up/down hill, it's not really an option to be stranded at home so will have to go out tomorrow even if I can't get to work.

Snow is beautiful to look at and you can cope with the cold by dressing warm, even the main roads seem to sort themselves out before too long, but when it it comes to side roads, it is riduculous how much danger it causes and everyone moans and does nothing. It is a real bug bear to me, if everyone just cleared the bit outside their own property it could be sorted but no one does.

I live in a very hilly and bendy cul-de-sac and when I say you take a big risk of getting stuck or sliding in to other parked cars it is a real worry and does make you sorta housebound, so for that reason I would rather be without it.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Why is 'now' pronounced with a silent 'w' but 'snow' is not?
    Actually it's not is it?

Too much white stuff affecting my powers of thought

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Too much white stuff affecting my powers of thought
    Nice to know there are still some constants in this life

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    if everyone just cleared the bit outside their own property it could be sorted but no one does.
    Unfortunately people can't really do this nowadays without the health & safety police calling. Round by us the farmers used to clear the roads when it snowed to help people (& themselves) get through, but the council chased someone up for doing it last year in case people got hurt and sued (same as putting salt/clearing your own front garden/path). It's ridiculous, given that this could mean slightly safer roads than people relying on the council or getting snowed in for days on end. Rural & side roads just don't thaw as quickly as the main roads because there's noone driving on them, and the temperature tends to be lower as well.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Unfortunately people can't really do this nowadays without the health & safety police calling.
    I know it's true but it is absolutely ludicrous. I know my postman and delivery guys appreciated the path I had made and gritted for them on my drive.....I have a slope all the way down to my front door, in all honesty I cannot see what harm could of happened to them by clearing the way ..........

Just love it
    taken about 30 min ago
    Last edited by philsmove; 6th-February-2010 at 01:52 AM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    Love the snow, hate the fact that most brits can't drive in it. I lived in Canada (Whistler) for a while, so learnt to drive on snow. And here in the UK I make sure my cars are 4wd (Golf R32, Audi 2.0T Quattro, next one might be the Audi RS TT ).

I don't get what all the big fuss is about....
    As a nation, I think we have been spoiled by lack of snow for a long time now, and many of us have forgotten, or never learned, how to cope with it. I'm a prime example of this - I've been driving for over twenty years now, and I can count the number of times I've needed to drive on snow on the fingers of one hand. In consequence, I've not really had the opportunity to learn (although when I have needed to drive in icy conditions, a lot of patience, and a little common sense have been the main requirements)

Of course - for anyone finding the snow too much of a challenge, a pair of snow chains (or snow socks) for your driving wheels can work wonders.

And for them slippery pavements, try wearing socks over your shoes. May look silly, but not as silly (or painful) as falling over.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I've been driving for over twenty years now, and I can count the number of times I've needed to drive on snow on the fingers of one hand. In consequence, I've not really had the opportunity to learn (although when I have needed to drive in icy conditions, a lot of patience, and a little common sense have been the main requirements)
    I agree! I worry about my kids driving, not cos they're bad drivers but because there's know way they could have possibly had experience of driving in snow and ice.

In Canada, I expect, its all part of the driving test???

I know when I was younger, the only 'real' lessons I ever had for these conditions, was when it actually snowed.... older friends and family would simply offer advice.

I asked my son, who passed his test 18month ago (in the SUMMER) what he'd been told and he said.. all he knew was, he had to keep in low gears and if you skid, turn into it. BUT like most people, he didn't really understand, in practical terms, what this last bit means
    And, what if your skidding towards something anyway???

Anyway, the great thing is, he's bright enough to have made the choice NOT to drive in it! Phew!

Of course - for anyone finding the snow too much of a challenge, a pair of snow chains (or snow socks) for your driving wheels can work wonders.
    I looked at these online yesterday and I might get some
    Last edited by Lory; 22nd-December-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Most of the snow has melted down here on the South coast. Last Saturday night we had a dance and were worried nobody would come. We checked out the roads to the venue and the car park during the day and both were fine. The car park was a bit slippy but we rolled out our red carpet and people used that to for the last few yards into the venue. A few people who lived up North in Horsham called to say they were snowed in - in the end we had a busy night to prove that a little snow doesn't stop the dance addict.

Tonight we've got our last class night before Christmas. One of the other local organisers has cancelled his night tonight because of the snow in Brighton. He called to say he's driving 12 miles to us instead instead of opening his own venue half a mile from his flat

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I asked my son, who passed his test 18month ago (in the SUMMER) what he'd been told and he said.. all he knew was, he had to keep in low gears and if you skid, turn into it.
    Tell him he should keep to higher gears (unless he's going downhill)! When you're pulling away - do it in second, not first. You're trying to prevent any sudden movements or wheel spin - which lead to loss of traction.

DSG_04586.jpg

I voted in favour of snow, especially if I'm walking in fresh snow.

Thread Information