• I would vote to get them OUT

4 36.36%
  • Don't watch them !

5 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV Voting ?

TV Voting ?

Interesting to read the comments on here on Strictly and X-Factor and now Get me out of here, but I wonder how many of us actually Vote ????

Personally, I would vote if they asked which one should go OUT not to keep them in, however, in theory they should get more votes from the public to keep the Celebs in as you might vote for more that one, I wonder if that is working ?????

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: TV Voting ?

I have never voted in a phone poll as I don't consider them a fair method of recording results. They have gone some way to improve the voting by not opening the phone lines until the end of the show, but unless they have an unlimited number of phonelines, I don't believe the recorded results can be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I wonder how many of us actually Vote
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb9000 View Post
    I don't believe the recorded results can be fair.
    Voting on X Factor is a waste of money. I'm not sure about the other shows but I know for a fact that the X Factor winner was pre-decided about 6 months ago. It's very clever how they make it seem like the public has all the power, but, they don't.

For example, I would say that Simon Fuller has already decided that Cher is going to be in the final, so Louie's instruction last night would have been simple. If Paije had the lowest amount of votes, go to deadlock so he goes anyway...if Cher had the lowest votes, vote off Paije.

The public vote only decides who's in the bottom two, the judges then manipulate the decision to suit their pre-decided final.

I know David Bailey will think I've gone in to "Princess Diana Conspiracy" mode, but I know someone who works in the production team at X Factor and when they told me, I didn't believe them, so a few months before the final (couple of seasons back) he told me exactly who the last three would be and who would win. Guess what, he was right. Don't waste your money.

As for I'm a Celeb, I would say that was not fixed because they spend a fortune setting up the Bush Tucker Trials then Gillian gets voted to do them and just faints instead and the whole set-up is a waste of time and money. Luckily, last night Linford stepped in and played a blinder. Gillian survived her panic attack, unfortunately.

Blog Entries

How about an option for "I watch them all, but I never have and never will vote"?

Quote Originally Posted by daveb9000 View Post
    I have never voted in a phone poll as I don't consider them a fair method of recording results.
    Admirable, but much higher up the morality ladder than I would aim.
    I don't give a t0ss if it is perfectly fair or not, I can just think of dozens of things I'd rather spend my money on.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I know David Bailey will think I've gone in to "Princess Diana Conspiracy" mode
    No, actually I agree with you. There are clear, obvious commercial incentives and mechanisms to ensure you get the result you want. Ben Elton covered the process quite well in Chart Throb a few years back.

Basically, if you control the editing and if you control the judges comments, it's fairly straightforward to manipulate the result to get the outcome you want. No need to even resort to anything dodgy re: voting results - you simply manipulate the coverage and let the public "decide".

X-Factor is genius, it really is.

• You get the public to act as a massive focus group - and the TV channel will pay you lots for that privilege.
    • You then get them to pay you to take part in this marketing campaign.
    • You then release a single, and again the public pays you for it.

It's a goldmine.

As for I'm a Celeb, I would say that was not fixed because they spend a fortune setting up the Bush Tucker Trials then Gillian gets voted to do them and just faints instead and the whole set-up is a waste of time and money. Luckily, last night Linford stepped in and played a blinder. Gillian survived her panic attack, unfortunately.
    There's no commercial interest in any particular contestant winning - so the only incentive is to ensure it's as entertaining as possible. So, yes, the most "entertaining" contestant will usually win, or at least be in the final.

P.S. I still think you're loony about Di, if that helps.

Paije
    ***? What kind of pretentious illiterate gives their daughter a name like that?

This is a rhetorical question so please don't attempt to supply an answer, especially if you have just christened your daughter with this abomination.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post

Now there's someone who neither watches the programme nor reads the popular press!

Believe it or not, there was one called Treyc (pronounced as Tracy) who went out earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Ben Elton covered the process quite well in Chart Throb a few years back.
    Yes, I read that book and that's one of the reasons I probed my source about the public vote and the fixing. My source says that Ben Elton's book, Chart Throb, could have been written by Simon Fuller himself as it's astonishingly accurate. Not the Prince Charles bit, obviously.

This is a rhetorical question so please don't attempt to supply an answer, especially if you have just christened your daughter with this abomination.
    Even worse as a boy's name

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    How about an option for "I watch them all, but I never have and never will vote"?

Admirable, but much higher up the morality ladder than I would aim.
    I don't give a t0ss if it is perfectly fair or not, I can just think of dozens of things I'd rather spend my money on.
    I agree totally, and have nothing else to add

Blog Entries

Yes, I read that book and that's one of the reasons I probed my source about the public vote and the fixing. My source says that Ben Elton's book, Chart Throb, could have been written by Simon Fuller himself as it's astonishingly accurate.
    Elton's "research" side of things is very good - if you ignore his occasionally-weird characterisations, the books are very informative about the process behind these things - Dead Famous was even better I thought.

Not the Prince Charles bit, obviously.
    Obviously, I mean he had Diana killed after all.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Believe it or not, there was one called Treyc (pronounced as Tracy)
    not always, i heard the pronounciation "tray-c" on more than one occasion. I also find the changeable wagner/vagner to be very funny - make your minds up people! I even heard someone pronounce "one direction" as "talentless manufactured plastic figurines". They murdered The Beatles but got comments actually comparing them to the fab four as the fab five. Really? Think about that for a second. Really?? I think some peoples ears are painted on.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Even worse as a boy's name
    Ah. Just retrieved this from its trajectory straight over my head.

I love Ben Elton's novels and thought Dead Famous was a cracking read. The most recent I read, Blind Faith, seemed a bit fevered in his attempt to cram in ever more sensational commentary on Society Today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I agree totally, and have nothing else to add
    Couldn't you just add something anyway in the interest of creating something for the rest of us to read? Since when has agreeing with someone totally been a productive forum ploy? What we need is utter disagreement and plenty of it.

Blog Entries

Couldn't you just add something anyway in the interest of creating something for the rest of us to read? Since when has agreeing with someone totally been a productive forum ploy? What we need is utter disagreement and plenty of it.
    Rubbish!

Commercial Operator

I know David Bailey will think I've gone in to "Princess Diana Conspiracy" mode, but I know someone who works in the production team at X Factor and when they told me, I didn't believe them, so a few months before the final (couple of seasons back) he told me exactly who the last three would be and who would win. Guess what, he was right. Don't waste your money.
    Talking of money, couldn't we make some money by betting on the winner if we know who it's going to be?

This reminds me of an occasion, many years ago, when I was tipped the wink about an outsider winning Miss World. I didn't believe my well-connected friend when they told me to bet £50 - the woman won and I was amazed!

Elton's "research" side of things is very good - if you ignore his occasionally-weird characterisations, the books are very informative about the process behind these things - Dead Famous was even better I thought.
    Yeah, loved that book too. Love all his books and plays. It's hard to choose but I'd say Gasping is my favourite.

Obviously, I mean he had Diana killed after all.
    It was Prince Philip, Actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Talking of money, couldn't we make some money by betting on the winner if we know who it's going to be?

This reminds me of an occasion, many years ago, when I was tipped the wink about an outsider winning Miss World. I didn't believe my well-connected friend when they told me to bet £50 - the woman won and I was amazed!
    So.....who is it then?

At the moment 'Matt' (whoever he is?) is 13-8 to win outright.

He is also 8-11 to be the best 28 & over.

Katie (whoever she is?) - is favourite to be the next eliminated at 5-4.

Are these value bets? I ain't got a clue.

Over to DT for the inside info (please !)

(I may have a wager on the next SCD elimination - Patsy looks fav.....ish or Gav...).
    Last edited by JiveLad; 22nd-November-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Over to DT for the inside info (please !)
    One Direction.

I know I must sound bah humbug but I hate most reality programmes such as Big Brother and I’m a celebrity , I don’t think they’re reality at all.

I never vote in any of the programmes, as I feel as if the producers are trying to manipulate us into voting by keeping in controversial figures in to keep their income rolling in

I really enjoy grumpy old men/women - I wonder why

Thread Information