Thread: Man Utd vs Spurs

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Man Utd vs Spurs

There are some hilarious comments about Man Utd's second goal - check footytube here .

My view as an unbiased person is - Nani had his shirt pulled and could perhaps have had a penalty, not clearcut though. He went down holding the ball and a free kick could have been given but wasn't, but the attack had ended and the keeper picked up the ball. The keeper, who we will now refer to as "idiot", threw the ball down near the edge of his area whilst gesticulating at the referee, who just shrugged. Nani ran up, stood over the ball and also signalled to the referee, who again shrugged. The ball was clearly in play. So Nani kicked it into the net. I don't see a controversy, i see a very stupid goalkeeper who gave the ball to the opposition for no reason. The referee has a whistle, if he doesn't blow it then play is continuing. Perhaps Spurs should try some Pavlovian whistle training for their keeper

I'm still laughing about this.

Re: Man Utd vs Spurs

I totally agree with everything DS has said, The Refs get slaughtered for stopping the game and are encouraged to keep the ball inplay as often as possible, even if he did see the handball which was probably not possible as Nani blocked his view he would most probably have still let the game run as Spurs had the advantage and were 0-1 down at the time! All this aside though i do have 2 more things to add, firstly The Refs should be allowed and encouraged to be interviewed afterwards to offer their view on the matter as that would keep the speculation to a minimum and give more balance to the incident! The other point is that the Ref refused to speak or entertain any chat from the Spurs players and yet he allowed Rio Fernindand to stand next to them and chat! i'm not suggesting Rio influenced it at all but it looked like one rule for Man Utd and a different set of Rules for Spurs! In short the Goalkeeper was at fault not the Ref for the goal! Play to the whistle they are told!
    Last edited by FoxyFunkster; 2nd-November-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    I totally agree with everything DS has said, The Refs get slaughtered for stopping the game and are encouraged to keep the ball inplay as often as possible, even if he did see the handball which was probably not possible as Nani blocked his view he would most probably have still let the game run as Spurs had the advantage and were 0-1 down at the time! All this aside though i do have 2 more things to add, firstly The Refs should be allowed and encouraged to be interviewed afterwards to offer their view on the matter as that would keep the speculation to a minimum and give more balance to the incident! The other point is that the Ref refused to speak or entertain any chat from the Spurs players and yet he allowed Rio Fernindand to stand next to them and chat! i'm not suggesting Rio influenced it at all but it looked like one rule for Man Utd and a different set of Rules for Spurs! In short the Goalkeeper was at fault not the Ref for the goal! Play to the whistle they are told!
    Yes, I noticed Ferdinand, but I also noticed how the referee completely ignored him, so he certainly didnt influence the referee in anyway. Saying that, Ferdinand did deserve a caution for being there in the first place. In fact I agree with you, if the referee made a mistake here it was not telling Ferdinand to go away.

I agree with your Ref interview idea, if managers have to make comments why not referees - almost every game the manager is asked about a decision. To be honest though, it wouldnt bother me if managers were never interviewed after a game, i dont see why they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Yes, I noticed Ferdinand, but I also noticed how the referee completely ignored him, so he certainly didnt influence the referee in anyway. Saying that, Ferdinand did deserve a caution for being there in the first place. In fact I agree with you, if the referee made a mistake here it was not telling Ferdinand to go away.

I agree with your Ref interview idea, if managers have to make comments why not referees - almost every game the manager is asked about a decision. To be honest though, it wouldnt bother me if managers were never interviewed after a game, i dont see why they should be.

ironically apart from Redknapp and Ian Holloway the others are plain boring to listen to! at least those 2 say it as they see it! Mike Phelan is dreadful and reminds me of Phil Neal under Graham Taylors reign! even as an Arsenal supporter i can't stand Wenger's after match chat! He's blind to his own players short comings but yet is very quick to point out opposition failings!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    He's blind to his own players short comings but yet is very quick to point out opposition failings!
    Maybe he should join the forum? He could fit right in...

What's done is done and nothing will change the result but can you imagine what it would have been like if it had happened to Manchester United.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    What's done is done and nothing will change the result but can you imagine what it would have been like if it had happened to Manchester United.
    probably exactly the same

Sorry perhaps I should have said 'what the reaction would have been from Ferguson'.He would have gone ballistic.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Sorry perhaps I should have said 'what the reaction would have been from Ferguson'.He would have gone ballistic.
    oh yes, I am sure he would. He tends to fume at refs decisions

Thread Information