As an MJ-er with a few years experience, you might decide you want to branch out a bit and try another dance form. This thread is about how to make a choice if you are facing such a dilemma.

Of course there are countless other things you could, however, the 2 primary options (at least round here (the epicentre of Modern Jive)) are AT and WCS.

For me, this is an ongoing and unresolved issue.

When I first tried a 'taster' AT lesson with Marc & Rachel I was immediately drawn to the idea (and 'purity') of 'technique'. Following up with some lessons courtesy of the Grandmaster Gaucho David Bailey which provided a useful insight into form and the associated etiquette.

My WCS experiences are more as YouTube voyeur - although I have dipped my toe into WCS in the USA - and promptly got told off for not dancing in a slot.....oops. And of course, countless conversations with students learning WCS - and the well documented challenges of the footwork make me hesitant.

So my summary right now of the pro's and cons are:

Pros

AT:
- technique based, well defined
- global, portable form
- limited number of 'things' to remember

WCS:
- looks f***ing great
- a closer 'cousin' to MJ
- greater range of music to dance to

Cons

AT:
- etiquette: 3 dances in a go.....
- slash-yer-wrists music
- constraining form

WCS:
- footwork
- not a global dance form
- less learning options locally

In summary I am now leaning more toward WCS. Why? Music, music, music. I very rarely hear a WCS I don't like. Conversely, I don;t often hear an AT track and think: "I must immediately go and get that track".

As the music is such an integral part of the dance experience, I have for the moment to be persuaded otherwise.

Any thoughts? Has anybody else been through this?

PS Yes - of course: "why not do both?". Lots of reasons. Why not also do Lindy, Rumba, Balboa, Tap, Jazz, Shag and Waltz? Time for one.......

This is about a prioritisation.