Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

  1. #1
    Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    9,918
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 653 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    15

    Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Advertising Rules apply as per normal, so you can't post an event if you're organising it!

    Below is an example of the format to be used when adding an event, so I can make a poll when all the events have been added.

    Please don't post anything, if you don't have the correct date!!!!!

    Ceroc Champs - London - 01 May
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bracknell, United
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 49 Times in 38 Posts

    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    UK Open Modern Jive Championships - Blackpool - 12th March 2011

  3. #3
    B.O.G.O.F. fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    penkridge
    Posts
    9,298
    Thanks
    314
    Thanked 291 Times in 202 Posts

    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Hope i.v done it right??

    Midlands Champs 20th Nov 2010 Kings hall Stoke on Trent


    havn't heard much on it?

  4. #4
    Registered User Mary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    1,717
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Weston Super Mare - WCS champs. 8 - 10 April. Competition, social dancing, workshops and cabarets.

    Haven't planned to go as yet would like to.

    M

  5. #5
    Registered User FoxyFunkster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Aldgate London
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 92 Times in 49 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    US Open Swing Dance Championships at Burbank Calif 24-27 Nov 2011

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    346
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 89 Times in 57 Posts

    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Weston Super Mare - WCS champs. 8 - 10 April. Competition, social dancing, workshops and cabarets.

    Haven't planned to go as yet would like to.

    M
    I really want to go so that I can see some of the people that'll be dancing there in the flesh rather than on youtube for once.

    Unfortunately it's a bit expensive for a spectator, and the one WCS lesson I've had isn't going to get me onto the dance floor with those guys

  7. #7
    Commercial Operator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sussex by the Sea
    Posts
    9,276
    Thanks
    641
    Thanked 376 Times in 284 Posts

    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Britrock - Hove Town Hall - 22nd Oct 2011

  8. #8
    Registered User ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Borehamwood, Herts
    Posts
    632
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 238 Times in 164 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Advertising Rules apply as per normal, so you can't post an event if you're organising it!
    Hi Lory

    I would have thought in this instance that maybe the rule could be relaxed if all the organiser does is post the event in the format requested.

    Some events may be much later in the year and only the organiser will know the date but it would be beneficial if people knew at the earliest opportunity of the event date.

  9. 2 'Thanks':

    DavidB (16th-January-2011), stewart38 (16th-January-2011)

  10. #9
    Registered User FoxyFunkster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Aldgate London
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 92 Times in 49 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    I really want to go so that I can see some of the people that'll be dancing there in the flesh rather than on youtube for once.

    Unfortunately it's a bit expensive for a spectator, and the one WCS lesson I've had isn't going to get me onto the dance floor with those guys

    It would be worth every penny i assure you just to see the saturday night show, Jordan and Tatiana will be there doing their new routine! it would be worth the money just to see this alone!

  11. Thanks:

    Dottie (16th-January-2011)

  12. #10
    The Oracle
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    2,263
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 151 Times in 61 Posts

    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    A few more that I know a few MJ dancers go to:

    UK Open (Ballroom & Latin) - Bournemouth - 18-20 Jan

    Midlands Swing Open (WCS) - Northampton - 30 Sep - 2 Oct

    International Championships (Ballroom & Latin) - Royal Albert Hall, London - 13 Oct

    London SWINGvitational (WCS) - Windsor - 18-21 Nov

    I presume the Welsh Ceroc Champs will be running again, but they don't have any dates on their website yet.
    Last edited by DavidB; 16th-January-2011 at 02:21 PM.

  13. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,781
    Thanks
    157
    Thanked 233 Times in 123 Posts

    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    I really want to go so that I can see some of the people that'll be dancing there in the flesh rather than on youtube for once.

    Unfortunately it's a bit expensive for a spectator, and the one WCS lesson I've had isn't going to get me onto the dance floor with those guys
    The only thing that will 'get you on the floor with those guys' is yourself. You have 3 months to do more lessons if you feel you haven't learnt enough yet

  14. Thanks:

    Lee Bartholomew (16th-January-2011)

  15. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    681
    Thanks
    380
    Thanked 251 Times in 145 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    I really want to go so that I can see some of the people that'll be dancing there in the flesh rather than on youtube for once.

    Unfortunately it's a bit expensive for a spectator, and the one WCS lesson I've had isn't going to get me onto the dance floor with those guys
    There is a full schedule of workshops that cater for all abilities, it is a fab event that is well worth the money

  16. #13
    Registered User frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,156
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 75 Times in 58 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    There is a full schedule of workshops that cater for all abilities, it is a fab event that is well worth the money
    Full is debatable.

    The classes tend to be short and scheduled early in the day.


    Still if all the teachers are teaching at a less advanced level it is probably worth it to experience the different teaching.

  17. #14
    Registered User FoxyFunkster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Aldgate London
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 92 Times in 49 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Full is debatable.

    The classes tend to be short and scheduled early in the day.


    Still if all the teachers are teaching at a less advanced level it is probably worth it to experience the different teaching.
    Well all the pro couples generally teach 4 workshops over the weekend and all the classes are usually packed, so full is a pretty good description! also as with most weekender workshops the level of the classes tends to be aimed for the masses rather than the few so regardless of your experience you will absolutely get loads out of them, Some of these teachers have been doing this for 20 years so they certainly know how to layer the classes so that everyone will benefit from them......Let me assure you that J&T, Robert Royston, John Lindo,Jessica Cox, Paul and Cat etc are just about the best line up of swing instructors you could ever learn from, even if you just wanted to watch rather than take part you would still get what i call plenty of gold bars worth of information that would definately help your MJ and dancing in general.

  18. #15
    Registered User FoxyFunkster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Aldgate London
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 92 Times in 49 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Full is debatable.

    The classes tend to be short and scheduled early in the day.


    Still if all the teachers are teaching at a less advanced level it is probably worth it to experience the different teaching.
    As for the scheduling, as Weston is primarily a competition weekender there is no choice but to have lessons from like 10am - 3pm, but this is generally in keeping with how other swing events are run

  19. #16
    Registered User Mary's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    1,717
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    Well all the pro couples generally teach 4 workshops over the weekend and all the classes are usually packed, so full is a pretty good description! also as with most weekender workshops the level of the classes tends to be aimed for the masses rather than the few so regardless of your experience you will absolutely get loads out of them, Some of these teachers have been doing this for 20 years so they certainly know how to layer the classes so that everyone will benefit from them......Let me assure you that J&T, Robert Royston, John Lindo,Jessica Cox, Paul and Cat etc are just about the best line up of swing instructors you could ever learn from, even if you just wanted to watch rather than take part you would still get what i call plenty of gold bars worth of information that would definately help your MJ and dancing in general.
    I would totally agree with this. To be fair I've been doing WCS regularly for 6 years and I still find it scary and intimidating, but even just watching all these guys teach is inspiring and informative.

    M

  20. #17
    The Dashing Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    3,556
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 382 Times in 247 Posts

    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Hi Lory

    I would have thought in this instance that maybe the rule could be relaxed if all the organiser does is post the event in the format requested.

    Some events may be much later in the year and only the organiser will know the date but it would be beneficial if people knew at the earliest opportunity of the event date.
    If an organiser has information about an event that they're planning, and is happy to have it published on a public website, then I'd expect them to have put it on their own website and probably other channels such as Facebook, uk-jive etc.

    I don't know if Minnie M's list covers competitions and weekenders but if so, then they could use that too.

    Then Forumites who aren't involved in organising would find out about it, and suggest it here if they're considering going.

    If an organiser doesn't have information that they can go public with, then they presumably wouldn't want it here either.

    So I don't think it's any different.
    Last edited by DavidY; 17th-January-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Love dance, will travel

  21. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 50 Times in 33 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    I presume the Welsh Ceroc Champs will be running again, but they don't have any dates on their website yet.

    24th september 2011

  22. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sevenoaks
    Posts
    678
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 50 Times in 33 Posts

    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

    Ceroc Midlands Champs - Sat 19th Nov 2011

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hosting a competition
    By RockHopper in forum Social events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th-August-2009, 01:51 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29th-April-2009, 04:53 PM
  3. Tango events: Listings?
    By jivecat in forum The Land of a 1000 dances
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 25th-January-2009, 01:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •