Thread: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

Advertising Rules apply as per normal, so you can't post an event if you're organising it!

Below is an example of the format to be used when adding an event, so I can make a poll when all the events have been added.

Please don't post anything, if you don't have the correct date!!!!!

Ceroc Champs - London - 01 May
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Major Dance Competition Events in 2011

UK Open Modern Jive Championships - Blackpool - 12th March 2011

Hope i.v done it right??

Midlands Champs 20th Nov 2010 Kings hall Stoke on Trent

havn't heard much on it?

Weston Super Mare - WCS champs. 8 - 10 April. Competition, social dancing, workshops and cabarets.

Haven't planned to go as yet would like to.

M

US Open Swing Dance Championships at Burbank Calif 24-27 Nov 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Weston Super Mare - WCS champs. 8 - 10 April. Competition, social dancing, workshops and cabarets.

Haven't planned to go as yet would like to.

M
    I really want to go so that I can see some of the people that'll be dancing there in the flesh rather than on youtube for once.

Unfortunately it's a bit expensive for a spectator, and the one WCS lesson I've had isn't going to get me onto the dance floor with those guys

Commercial Operator

Britrock - Hove Town Hall - 22nd Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Advertising Rules apply as per normal, so you can't post an event if you're organising it!
    Hi Lory

I would have thought in this instance that maybe the rule could be relaxed if all the organiser does is post the event in the format requested.

Some events may be much later in the year and only the organiser will know the date but it would be beneficial if people knew at the earliest opportunity of the event date.

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    I really want to go so that I can see some of the people that'll be dancing there in the flesh rather than on youtube for once.

Unfortunately it's a bit expensive for a spectator, and the one WCS lesson I've had isn't going to get me onto the dance floor with those guys

It would be worth every penny i assure you just to see the saturday night show, Jordan and Tatiana will be there doing their new routine! it would be worth the money just to see this alone!

The Oracle

A few more that I know a few MJ dancers go to:

UK Open (Ballroom & Latin) - Bournemouth - 18-20 Jan

Midlands Swing Open (WCS) - Northampton - 30 Sep - 2 Oct

International Championships (Ballroom & Latin) - Royal Albert Hall, London - 13 Oct

London SWINGvitational (WCS) - Windsor - 18-21 Nov

I presume the Welsh Ceroc Champs will be running again, but they don't have any dates on their website yet.
    Last edited by DavidB; 16th-January-2011 at 02:21 PM.

The only thing that will 'get you on the floor with those guys' is yourself. You have 3 months to do more lessons if you feel you haven't learnt enough yet

There is a full schedule of workshops that cater for all abilities, it is a fab event that is well worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    There is a full schedule of workshops that cater for all abilities, it is a fab event that is well worth the money
    Full is debatable.

The classes tend to be short and scheduled early in the day.

Still if all the teachers are teaching at a less advanced level it is probably worth it to experience the different teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Full is debatable.

Still if all the teachers are teaching at a less advanced level it is probably worth it to experience the different teaching.
    Well all the pro couples generally teach 4 workshops over the weekend and all the classes are usually packed, so full is a pretty good description! also as with most weekender workshops the level of the classes tends to be aimed for the masses rather than the few so regardless of your experience you will absolutely get loads out of them, Some of these teachers have been doing this for 20 years so they certainly know how to layer the classes so that everyone will benefit from them......Let me assure you that J&T, Robert Royston, John Lindo,Jessica Cox, Paul and Cat etc are just about the best line up of swing instructors you could ever learn from, even if you just wanted to watch rather than take part you would still get what i call plenty of gold bars worth of information that would definately help your MJ and dancing in general.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Full is debatable.

As for the scheduling, as Weston is primarily a competition weekender there is no choice but to have lessons from like 10am - 3pm, but this is generally in keeping with how other swing events are run

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyFunkster View Post
    Well all the pro couples generally teach 4 workshops over the weekend and all the classes are usually packed, so full is a pretty good description! also as with most weekender workshops the level of the classes tends to be aimed for the masses rather than the few so regardless of your experience you will absolutely get loads out of them, Some of these teachers have been doing this for 20 years so they certainly know how to layer the classes so that everyone will benefit from them......Let me assure you that J&T, Robert Royston, John Lindo,Jessica Cox, Paul and Cat etc are just about the best line up of swing instructors you could ever learn from, even if you just wanted to watch rather than take part you would still get what i call plenty of gold bars worth of information that would definately help your MJ and dancing in general.
    I would totally agree with this. To be fair I've been doing WCS regularly for 6 years and I still find it scary and intimidating, but even just watching all these guys teach is inspiring and informative.

M

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Hi Lory

I would have thought in this instance that maybe the rule could be relaxed if all the organiser does is post the event in the format requested.

Some events may be much later in the year and only the organiser will know the date but it would be beneficial if people knew at the earliest opportunity of the event date.
    If an organiser has information about an event that they're planning, and is happy to have it published on a public website, then I'd expect them to have put it on their own website and probably other channels such as Facebook, uk-jive etc.

I don't know if Minnie M's list covers competitions and weekenders but if so, then they could use that too.

Then Forumites who aren't involved in organising would find out about it, and suggest it here if they're considering going.

If an organiser doesn't have information that they can go public with, then they presumably wouldn't want it here either.

So I don't think it's any different.
    Last edited by DavidY; 17th-January-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    I presume the Welsh Ceroc Champs will be running again, but they don't have any dates on their website yet.

24th september 2011

Ceroc Midlands Champs - Sat 19th Nov 2011

Thread Information