Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Southport Oct 10- The Aftermath

Re: Southport Oct 10- The Aftermath

My review...

I've not been to many weekenders over the past two years, so I wanted to make the most of this - I knew what sort of a weekender I wanted, so paced myself and planned what I was doing. Daytime - some classes and afternoon blues room, in the evenings - Milonga, food, blues room.

Classes - did all of Jenny and Ricardo's and they were excellent, well taught and fun. Don't know much about the other classes except that some of our NI weekender newbies did V&D's blues classes and it seemed to give them some tools/confidence to venture into the blues room.

Can't comment in the main room as I only ever passed through looking for friends and just had a couple of dances.

Blues room - I was there a bit in the afternoons and at night usually after 2:30am. Fun music in the afternoons, dancing outside in the sun, chilled out in the evenings. By the end of the weekend we'd got some of the NI weekender newbies to come into the blues room and they really enjoyed it and stayed til the end.

Milongas - absolutely loved these! Having just got back to tango, and having a friend who is a complete AT beginner (4 classes prior to coming to SP), it was great to refresh me and let him practice and watch. The advantage of being there with a practice partner meant I wasn't sitting on my own and I had someone to dance with, but I was asked by other more experienced dancers at times as well - which stretched and challenged me. The musician accompanying some tracks in the middle of the room just added something extra. I really enjoyed the sets played in the Milongas.

Lovely as always to catch up with weekender friends too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I suppose then somebody needs to speak with the Franchise owners to see if they want to have a friendly chat with him
    Gerry, why somebody,? if its wrong and you know it, then have the courage to speak out, do it in the right way, without been pearsonal or in front of anyone, but stop expecting other people to do it .

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Gerry, why somebody,? if its wrong and you know it, then have the courage to speak out, do it in the right way, without been pearsonal or in front of anyone, but stop expecting other people to do it .
    From what I have been told in person and by PM, this person has been told and he has not accepted the advice.

I am sure that he would not listen to me, therefore it would be more prudent for either a Dancer that he respects or a Franchise owner who takes him to task concerning his rough leading.

Thumbs up Re: Southport Oct 10- The Aftermath

Well this time was WOW WOW WOW. Loved it all.

Ahh Pontins Southport : a bit like Bagpuss was to Emily, 'old. saggy a bit loose at the seams' but we love it anyway.

As always pack your Blitz spirit when dealing with the chalets. Unfortunately this was the worst ever for us due to the smell of smoke but open the windows, cook a meal and got a 'Rain forest flowers!' candle from the shop and we survived. Where it matters most it was brilliant. Music, dancers and atmosphere.

These weekenders are always different for me. As a 2 yearsish experienced dancer I feel different about my dancing every time I go. Sometimes up sometimes down but I think I've now got used to the slightly mad psychodynamics of these weekenders it all to just enjoy it and watch the wildlife.

As a new WCS person (six lessons) still on the 'Baby slopes' but loved the chance to go somewhere else to dance. Great music. Special thank you to the lady from Leeds who was so encouraging. That means a lot when you're feeling a bit of a plonker doing the same things over again. Even dabbled in the blues room mostly with friends (again lots of spactacularly good music made it hard to leave). Still feel a bit faux in there and can't quite take myself seriously/ do the bluesy role play but can't help but admire the skill of the really good dancers.

But I guess my heart still lies in the main room. Had some of my best ever dances in there on Saturday and Sunday night. I know from reading postings frequently derided on here and vaguely looked down upon and yes I know it is a bit rough around the edges but fantastic things can and do happen there. Watched some of the 'superstars' on Saturday night after midnight and was just blown away by some of the incredible dancing.

Anyway in a fit of excitement have booked 'Blush' in Feb. Well I had to really.

(special mention to the ceroc website. just as I was having a small grumble to myself about printing off the schedule to get excited before the weekend and it always prints over too many pages and goes in a funny format I can't read that easily well..... they had put a 'PDF' on the site. Prints off perfect and I could even load to read on the phone. How very civilised. Well done whoever thought of it/did it.

that's me gone n

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    What doesn't work at all is dropping veiled and hints on the forum which has all the blokes worrying that it could be them.
    Although a number of followers have told me that they feel secure when I lead drops, not knowing who is being referred to, I must admit I when read nomoves & Gerrys posts that was the first thing that went through my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    ... If all else fails, an involuntary squeal of pain or a melodramatic wince could help get the message across without a direct confontation.
    A lady who I dance regularly with, and is well versed in drops, has tried that when she has been lead in drops badly, and without her permission, only to be told "it would have been OK if you'd done it properly!!". Some leaders are just supremely convinced of their own infallibility

I had a great weekend. Way better than Breeze!

I enjoyed the music a lot more. My mojo was elusive to say the least at Breeze but was out in full force this weekend.

I know it's been commented on before but the venue is so much easier with all the rooms being under one roof - I wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make but just being able to nip into another room to revive flagging spirits or energy levels, check out where friends or fave dancers were, for a change of music or just a small change of scene/ry worked wonders. Having said that I did still spend most of my time in the blues room

Having been to a fair number of weekenders I'm just starting to discover the social side of them (off the dance floor) - parties and giggles and lewdness - old friends and new thanks guys. Sadly this did lead to even less sleep than usual and my first post-weekender lurgy, luckily I'm fairly resilient and it's disappearing fast.

Big thanks to all you hungry cake-eaters too. For those who wanted recipes, they're in the CAKE thread. I'll bring less next time just in case we need to be rolled off the dance floor on the Monday morning

From what I have been told in person and by PM, this person has been told and he has not accepted the advice.

I am sure that he would not listen to me, therefore it would be more prudent for either a Dancer that he respects or a Franchise owner who takes him to task concerning his rough leading.

Not commented on here in a while but I witnessed the dancer and dance, and I agree with Gerry, the dancer in question is not one for taking advice readily, I have been contacted in the past by him via PM on FB to rep-remand me re how many dances I had with a follow (sorry DTS not you mate), and that it wasn't "fair" (restraining the words I want to use) to those others at the venue. Following on what Fletch has said I will contact him and see if he will listen to friendly advice , and as i have nothing to lose and maybe will help a fellow avid dancer enjoy and be enjoyed, and on this note I will say we are all here for the Fun and absolute pleasure of the feeling we get from Dance.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zimbabwean View Post
    Not commented on here in a while but I witnessed the dancer and dance, and I agree with Gerry, the dancer in question is not one for taking advice readily, I have been contacted in the past by him via PM on FB to rep-remand me re how many dances I had with a follow (sorry DTS not you mate), and that it wasn't "fair" (restraining the words I want to use) to those others at the venue. Following on what Fletch has said I will contact him and see if he will listen to friendly advice , and as i have nothing to lose and maybe will help a fellow avid dancer enjoy and be enjoyed, and on this note I will say we are all here for the Fun and absolute pleasure of the feeling we get from Dance.
    Look, enough, I confess. It was me, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by edinburghneville View Post

Ahh Pontins Southport : a bit like Bagpuss was to Emily, 'old. saggy a bit loose at the seams' but we love it anyway.

As always pack your Blitz spirit when dealing with the chalets.

Well pips the Bat and had a great weekend, marvellous to dance with all of the Scottish dancers again. Had a blinding dance with Ruby Red, cheers sweetie.
    I seem to be better at following than leading at the mo had a storming tag with KPS and Dave Wiltshire, well done boys.

I have always maintained that the afternoon dancing is better than any other time. Silverfox just gets better and better, Zebra Woman was also outstanding. had a great dance with Tigerpants and did a tango move with him where I put my leg between his and it took me a full 2 minutes to get back up off the floor. It is a complex system of levers and pulleys to get me off the floor nowdays.

All in all a great weekend that should not be missed.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry
    From the amount of PM's I have received this person is well known by the followers and they are making their own stands by keeping well clear of him.
    I think I know the lead above, and although his lead can be a bit strong at times, he has never caused me an injury or to anyone else that I know of, and if I think it might I would tell him rather than avoid him. He is an experienced dancer and a really nice chap, therefore I am sure he would be able to adjust his lead.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Southport October 2010
    Being led by Alex Faulkner, a real bad idea at 6.30 in the morning as he got me back for being spun so much.
    Haha... good times... but you definitely needed payback!
    Last edited by Lory; 27th-October-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Hahaha... I clearly don't know how to use this!!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CentrAlex View Post
    Hahaha... I clearly don't know how to use this!!
    Very nearly got it right, just missed a forward slash Fixed now
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by CentrAlex View Post
    Haha... good times... but you definitely needed payback!
    Looking forward to the next time

Although I agree that in an ideal world if all followers refused this "lead" then he would eventually get the message one way or another, there are many of us who are refused more than we are accepted. I am a female lead and follow (and teach both) I am told I am good at both but have been refused six or seven times in a row ... without explanation, Am I to then read into this that I am doing something wrong. It is better to let this gentlemen know as kindly as possible what the problem is without being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Very nearly got it right, just missed a forward slash Fixed now
    Thanks Lori

Thread Information