Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southport Oct 10- The Aftermath

Re: Southport Oct 10- The Aftermath

As usual, I did have a good time at Southport and it was worth going of course, however for me, this Southport out of the 3 or 4 I've been to now has been the weakest for reasons listed below but for now I'll start with:

The Good

- My SWAS flatmate didn't turn up, chalet to myself!
    - My electricity meter was broken, I got free electricity all weekend, had a toasty warm chalet all day long with lovely hot water and everything, sweet!
    - Loved the music all weekend and never felt there was a time where duff songs were played constantly.
    - Went to a couple of classes and thought they were both brilliant and the moves taught were great.
    - Really great dances in the Blues room and I felt that Mark's sets were really great. Also thanks for helping me with the name of that song on the Monday morning (Mindi Abair - Momo).
    - Flirting left, right and centre. It's pathetic but god I have fun.
    - The photographer only appearing on Sunday evening as far as I saw! In my opinion, get rid of the photographer altogether, according to them, Southport consists of about 30 people anyway.

The Bad

- I became aware how unfit I've become recently, after 2 or 3 dances I had no choice but to rest.
    - Quality of dances, I'll never ever say I'm a great dancer but I can feel when a follow is gripping my hand or takes 3 steps to spin or has their own mild-stompy feet rhythm or has no tension in their arms and I felt that I was getting so many dances where the basic foundations of following were pretty weak and it got really grating when my 6th dance in a row was the same. This was only an issue in the Main Room and it just felt like it happened more than usual this time around.

The 'This isn't exclusive to Southport but it happened at Southport and I feel like mentioning it as I hardly ever post on here'

- People doing that little quadruple stompy thing when Alex Fox's Guitar on Fire plays, it drives me nuts for aesthetic, intellectual and practical reasons, yes for intellectual reasons too. Am I the only one that thinks this? Please, if you do it, stop, please. Please stop doing it. Once again: please stop it.
    Last edited by Danny; 19th-October-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Feels like forever ago now but here is my good bad and ugly...

Good
    Weather was surprisingly lovely - got loads of outdoor dancing in which i wasn't expecting
    Seeing people I never tire of xxx
    FEELING WELL!!! for the first weekender in well over a year and a half! Yay!
    Being able to dance and dance although i am now paying for it.
    The lovely 'sensible' DTS xxx
    Loads of hugs
    Danced in the main room quite a lot and did NOT need oxygen

Bad
    Having to leave on Sunday teatime to get back in time for Uni.
    Having to fit some studying in between the dancing.
    Wearing the wrong shoes on Sunday afternoon - dancing got so much more fun once I had rectified this.
    Still finding the the latin/wcs room a (slightly scary) mystery.
    DTS falling asleep in the POD at midnight on Friday.
    Me falling asleep in the POD on Saturday night

Ugly
    Chalet that had many faults - fridge and grill did not work and there were no saucepans - but pontins did rectify this.
    Not getting to dance with everyone on my list.

Glad there is a bit of a gap before Camber - my body is too out of practice - will do better next time.

All in a great weekend.

Rachel xxx

Well after a rather lack lustre Breeze, I was worried that Southport would not live up to my expectations but thankfully I was not disappointed as I had a fab-u-lous weekend. Like Robd said Friday unusually did not get started in the bar but Sat and Sunday daytime dancing made up for that.

Good

Daytime dancing was just brilliant some of my favourite dancing sessions, loved the S’Funk, lively and uplifting and then the blues sets so decadent in daytime
    Favourite sets Rocky’s True Blues set on Saturday afternoon, just fantastic and Mike Salisman (think that’s how you spell his name – lovely to dance with as well).
    Seeing the friendly Scottish contingency and special thanks to Tiger Pants for my birthday dances and Dave Hancock, what can I say king of the blues room, such a shame only get to see you 2 at Southport. Thanks to Gamebird for her wonderful coffee cake.
    Dancing with all the guys that I only get to see at Southport, can’t believe that next year will probably be the last time we all get to go to Southport.
    Chalet was like a 5* hotel compared to the club chalet at Breeze. Thanks to Gerry for putting me in touch with our new friend and chalet mate Catherine, she was a real pleasure to share with, I’ll even forgive her being a WCS dancer
    Outside dancing with the sun shining, in October, could not ask for more than that.
    Getting to walk on Southport’s beautiful beach and get some fresh air in my lungs – yes ‘life’s a beach’
    The CD Locoman made for me made the journey home just that little bit more bearable and helped keep me awake – thanks Locoman

Bad
    The main floor in the blues room, not for want of trying by the Ceroc team. They mopped it and they swept it but it was just a bit sticky – the back floors were fine just crowded.
    Very crowded in the blues room on Saturday night and Sunday early hours
    That long journey from East London
    Doing 2 weekenders in 2 weeks it's just a killer

I just love the Southport weekend, nothing else comes close to it

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl View Post
    FEELING WELL!!! for the first weekender in well over a year and a half! Yay!

All in a great weekend.

Rachel xxx
    Rachel you looked amazing and it is lovely to see you looking so good
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    You know it would get pulled double-time for naming and shaming if they did. I know who is being referred to and know also that many follows avoid dancing with him for fear of injury. I do wonder why Gerry and nomoves didn't make their disquiet known to the person in question if they felt so strongly about it (or maybe they did?)
    I spoke to the Young follower who's mother is a franchise owner, I told her that she was in her right to refuse to dance with him again if she felt she could be hurt.

I also spoke to a Ceroc teacher who had been trying to keep out of his way but she eventually was caught. I asked why she just didn't refuse, she said she found it hard to say No when she was advocating Ceroc's policy of never refusing a dance.

Maybe I should have just had a word with him!!
    Last edited by Gerry; 19th-October-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Someone i know did but it didn't seem to make much difference

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    - Quality of dances {...} This was only an issue in the Main Room ....
    Is it just me, or do many of the better intermediate/advanced followers primarily frequent the Blues room (for many reasons, one of which is that's where the best leads can generally be found)?

As someone still learning to lead, too many followers in the Blues room have expectations I can't match, so I dance in the main room, and it's possible to dance for half an hour feeling like a beginner class just finished..

Obviously that's not a blanket statement - several times (particularly near the stage) I did see the top dancers, and stopped to admire them a couple of times (including a couple of forumites). I don't want to deprive people of that calibre the chance to dance with equally skilled people, but there's that "experienced intermediate" level that just seemed absent.

I know those people are out there, they come out at regional freestyles and are extremely good fun to dance with, and challenge my own dancing. I just couldn't find many of them outside the Blues room at the weekend

Don't read this as criticism of the ladies I did dance with - most of them are better dancers than me, and I had a lot of fun both dancing and flirting with them

Cederic
    If you see somebody who you would like to dance, bite the bullit and ask. If you want to get better then dance with the better dancers.

I still can't believe the amount of dancers who have negative opinions of themselves who happen to be brilliant dancers IMHO.

Likewise you may find that the better dancers happen to really enjoy your style and start to ask you.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your dance journey

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    The Really, Really Ugly Bit
    The sight of one of the Forumites (who thinks he is a Blues aficionado) dancing with one of the top young followers in the country and nearly ripping her arms out of their sockets and then he almost dropped her, only her quick agile feet stopped her from being splattered on the dance floor like Paul Harris but that’s another story.
    As leaders we should ensure that we look after all our followers
    I don't do drops.
    Not a fan of blues.
    Don't ask never mind don't ask top follows.

Hopefully wasn't me then!!

Having said that I asked for the first time in months on Monday night. I little old lady about 70+ but hey, it's a start!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    You know it would get pulled double-time for naming and shaming if they did. I know who is being referred to and know also that many follows avoid dancing with him for fear of injury. I do wonder why Gerry and nomoves didn't make their disquiet known to the person in question if they felt so strongly about it (or maybe they did?)
    Not every one feels able to tap on the holder and say 'can I have a word'

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post

........... well it's certainly a camp sight now!!

I was one of charlies angels

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I spoke to the Young follower who's mother is a franchise owner, I told her that she was in her right to refuse to dance with him again if she felt she could be hurt.

I also spoke to a Ceroc teacher who had been trying to keep out of his way but she eventually was caught. I asked why she just didn't refuse, she said she found it hard to say No when she was advocating Ceroc's policy of never refusing a dance.

Maybe I should have just had a word with him!!
    Maybe you should have? you have to do what you belive is right! i'v told enough people when there behaving in a way that upsets people it dosent allways go down well dose it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I don't do drops.
    Not a fan of blues.
    Don't ask never mind don't ask top follows.

Hopefully wasn't me then!!

Having said that I asked for the first time in months on Monday night. I little old lady about 70+ but hey, it's a start!!!
    Thats me crushed

anyway what you doing on hear S666 ??

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I was one of charlies angels
    I think I was probably one of his Devils?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think I was probably one of his Devils?
    I defo a claim to fame.............

that man can move

I defo a claim to fame.............

that man can move
    ...and you're not too bad yourself woman.

The hand-bag dance was one of the highlights of the weekend for me, so thanks to my girlies for that and of course to Phyllis, without whom it would not have been possible....an awesome set my young man. Please oh please will you bring your s'funk stuff to Scotland for a little trip, I'm sure I'm not the only one that loves it.

I'll review properly later but it was for many reasons a really good weekend for me, unfortunately I've now got the dreaded post-weekend bug and a load of work to catch up on so hope to review in the next day or two.

Maybe you should have? you have to do what you belive is right! i'v told enough people when there behaving in a way that upsets people it dosent allways go down well dose it?
    Too true! However, everyone's got the right to take direct action when it concerns their own bodies/ feelings. If I was about about to dance with someone who i really feared would cause me injury I think I'd say something like "I'm not doing drops at the moment, would you mind not leading any?" or "I've got a dodgy shoulder and i really need to protect it."

Admittedly, even this side-steps the issue somewhat but would probably produce a (temporary) result and might create overall improvement as well. It saves face and gives control back to the follower who doesn't then have to whinge ineffectually behind the scenes without getting her needs met.

What doesn't work at all is dropping veiled and hints on the forum which has all the blokes worrying that it could be them.

Only to say I had a great weekend..for lots of reasons...thanks to those who helped make me laugh / dance loads

S'Funk on Sat Afternoon was great, as was Sunday. In fact most DJ's, Mike Salisman, Marc F, Rachel P & Tiggerbabes really stood out for me IMHO.

My only downside I dIdn't finish the end on Monday Morning!! Was too shattered.

Not doing Camber so a good end to my 2010 Weekender's

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    The Tango room's a bit of a funny one for me, I HATE, with a passion, walking in there and trying to figure out how I'm going to get a dance? BUT, once dancing, I love it! And I'd like to thank Ant for giving me one of the best dances of my weekend in there!
    Not that I've been in a tango room at a weekender for a while but I've always seen them as a chance to get let off the tango leash with Ceroc customs firmly in charge. How the heck could anyone cabeceo anyone in the murky cave of the average weekender room, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Too true! However, everyone's got the right to take direct action when it concerns their own bodies/ feelings. If I was about about to dance with someone who i really feared would cause me injury I think I'd say something like "I'm not doing drops at the moment, would you mind not leading any?" or "I've got a dodgy shoulder and i really need to protect it."

Admittedly, even this side-steps the issue somewhat but would probably produce a (temporary) result and might create overall improvement as well. It saves face and gives control back to the follower who doesn't then have to whinge ineffectually behind the scenes without getting her needs met.

What doesn't work at all is dropping veiled and hints on the forum which has all the blokes worrying that it could be them.
    From the amount of PM's I have received this person is well known by the followers and they are making their own stands by keeping well clear of him.
    Unfortunately if a Teacher has already spoken with him and he does not change what can you do. From what I have heard and read he has a very high opinion of his dancing ability.

I spoke with the young Lady and gave her my peice of advice, I am not known as a confrontational character maybe I need to confront my own demons and make a stand if I see this rough type of leading.

I suppose then somebody needs to speak with the Franchise owners to see if they want to have a friendly chat with him

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    How the heck could anyone cabeceo anyone in the murky cave of the average weekender room, anyway?
    This is true jivecat, but the alternative would be to raise the lights and I don't think anyone would really like to see that room in great detail. It would definitely have killed the mood in there.

I am not quite sure that the use of cabeceo would quite work in the environment anyway, and people tended to just come over and ask in a traditional jive way.

There was a most annoying spotlight that cooked you for a while when you were dancing under it. Music was good though and the leads were fabulous too Tango is definitely becoming more popular with jivers, which is all to the good in creating more friendly venues
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

why force yourself to wait to be asked just for some old fassioned rule!? Its not argentina and I bet most of the leads dont exercise the traditions in thier local milongas. Ive never come across anyone enforcing cabeceo dispite having travelled to quite a few areas!

Thread Information