Thread: Free Proxy web sites.

Blog Entries

Free Proxy web sites.

Hey guys, long time no post or dance come to think of it... wish i was going this weekend but not... boo hoo.

Anyway, work has blocked facebook and i have been using free proxy to get on last couple of days but its not that good. Does anybody have a good free proxy site that i can look at to enable log on.?? Yes i know im sad

Re: Free Proxy web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Anyway, work has blocked facebook and i have been using free proxy to get on last couple of days
    Aren't you worried that they'll soon discover your little work-around?

Why not just use a mobile device, and take an extended break to one of the cubicles in the ladies room.

Of course, much later, when they realise what people are doing they'll cover all the walls with foil to exclude the signal, but you'll probably be OK for a while.

Depending where you work, some companies take a very dim view doing this - there are legitimate business risk issues quite independent of productivity impacts and intentionally subverting the corporate security mechanisms doesn't go across too well in an interview with HR.

If you absolutely must be connected throughout the day (and I do sympathise, I'm never far from my email) then Google is your friend: searching for just 'proxy servers' gives half a dozen list/ranking sites for public proxies.

If you want to be adventurous then there are even more interesting options: http://alternativeto.net/software/tor/

One thing to consider is alternate routes out of the company network. Most companies have multiple Internet connections, with different firewalls, proxies and configurations on each. Make friends with your nearest IT network guru and get him to spill his secrets (and yeah, it'll be a him).

However, your two best bets are
    - volunteer to maintain the company's Facebook page. Obviously you'll need work access to the site for that
    - as Bubble suggests, get the 'net on your mobile device.

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    Depending where you work, some companies take a very dim view doing this - there are legitimate business risk issues quite independent of productivity impacts and intentionally subverting the corporate security mechanisms doesn't go across too well in an interview with HR.
    The company I used to work for installed a piece of software on the system to log employee internet usage, it also blocked a huge number of sites that were deemed to be non work related. It was called Websense.

If an employer has blocked some sites, then it may also have internet access logging software in place. If they are logging usage, then it may be set up to flag a large number of hours spent on one site (e.g. a proxy site). Sorry if I sound alarmist, but you may not know what monitoring systems are in place unless you have a friend working in the IS department.

Be careful!

Blog Entries

The owner is too tight to pay for monitoring.

He only blocked all the good sites as IT offered to do it for free. !! LOL

thanks guys x

Thread Information