Thread: Help -nearly phone upgrade time

Help -nearly phone upgrade time

Hi guys
    i need some help, i would really like to get an iphone but am not sure whether to stick with the older 3g or go with the 4 as i will be stuck in an 18 month contract- i have heard a fair bit of critism around the iphone4 and wondered if it to early to get it yet or have they ironed out the bugs already

Help please

Commercial Operator

Re: Help -nearly phone upgrade time

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    Hi guys
    i need some help, i would really like to get an iphone but am not sure whether to stick with the older 3g or go with the 4 as i will be stuck in an 18 month contract- i have heard a fair bit of critism around the iphone4 and wondered if it to early to get it yet or have they ironed out the bugs already

Help please
    Just got a 4 myself, and love it, although it's early days, so there may still be some problems that I haven't noticed. Plus - I'm a raving Apple fanatic, hence a bit biased So far though, I'd say it's a superb phone.

I think the early bugs (proximity sensor etc) are mostly gone - the only remaining one is the antenna issue. I did a quick check with my phone, and I do seem to be able to reduce the reception by gripping the phone in the 'magic' spot - but as I bought a case for it, I'm not really that fussed (and a note on whether to get a case - anyone buying an iPhone 4 is buying a phone with a glass front and a glass back. I figured a case made sense)

Anyway - I would highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    Help please
    Review

Cheapest Deal

I hate iPhones (on philosophical grounds) but if you insist on masochism absolutely go for the 4.
    - it has a genuinely beautiful screen
    - it's a better bit of hardware all round
    - as the newest model it'll be supported by Apple for longer
    - any sexy new apps released on the app store will work on the 4, but may not on older versions

Yeah, you have to throw away all the aesthetic advantages of the device itself by hiding it in a case so that it'll actually work when you're holding it, but that in itself doesn't justify buying a 3GS.

Speaking as someone who has played on both sides of the fence , Tasted forbidden fruit,, Dabbled with the Yin and Yang, the Black and White, the Good and The Evil.. etc etc of Smartphones I have to say I would upgrade to the iPhone 4 as well. It has so many improvements over the 3G / 3GS models. Looks good, runs well .. ok so it does happen to be an iPhone but ,heck, nothing's perfect

if you like iPhones, and are happy with your current offering then by all means upgrade to the latest model. Antenna issues aside it's been getting good reviews. I'm not about to attempt the impossible and tempt you to the dark side.. if you're happy with your Fruity device then stick with it and get the newest one you can

As Cederic states.. why not go for the latest model you can?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    A little extra to this - I read this article a while back, did the calculations, and concluded that Tesco was definitely the way to go.

Only problem with this is that they never have any stock. I waited as long as I did before getting one because I was waiting for Tesco to get them in. Which they never did - not much point in having an amazing deal, if they never have the phones to sell.

I ended up getting mine from O2, on a 24 month contract, which seemed absolutely insane when I first looked at the idea.

But.

I went the £45 a month route, which gets me the phone pretty cheaply (£139 for mine, the 32Gb, £39 (I think) for the 16Gb. Still seems pretty expensive, paying £45 a month for two years... but O2 has this nice little clause in their contract. After nine months, I can choose to go onto the next tariff down (£40 per month). One month after that, I can drop it again, and every month thereafter. I plan to go down to £30 per month (possibly 25, depending on usage). Do that, and the price difference with Tesco becomes minimal - so long as you don't mind having the same phone for two years. In the case of the iPhone 4, this is actually a very pleasant thought...

Just don't insure it through O2 (£15 per month is outrageous) - we're insuring through our home insurance, which is way cheaper.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Personally I hate Apple for the way they steal tech, false advertise and their ethics.

On the iPhone, there are much much better phones out there, they just dont get the money Apple throw in to advertising.

Before you go for an iphone 4 or any other type, have a good look and play with other phones and ask people who have had them. I know so many people who have sold their iPhones or had to send them back for repair that I cert wouldn't touch one, even if they were not made by Apple.

Android devices are looking good at the mo and the New windows phone from what I have seen looks amazin (though it is still made by MS so no doubt it will be bug ridden too).

If you're happy with Apple stay with Apple.. I switched not because they were bad phones.. in many ways they were better than my current ANDROID phone. there's Nowt wrong with them. But you should be aware that for every Apple Evangelist out there there's someone who just can't do anything but put them down. I personally do not like Apple.. but only because I'm a windows Programmer... ergo I buy Windows devices to program on.

On smartphone fronts I've used Apple (liked it) , Windows Mobile (liked it) and currently Android (Like it too) doesn't mean I won't go back to Apple or Microsoft or A.N. Other if something better comes along.

There's not much between the devices. And if you're happy with one interface, and have spent money on Apps etc you like then why switch ?

There's no such thing as a perfect smartphone.. regardless of who makes it.

I like my Android operating system.. dislike the hardware. I should have known.. buying an Android it would constantly complain about the pain in the diodes down it's left side

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    But you should be aware that for every Apple Evangelist out there there's someone who just can't do anything but put them down.

Fortunately, Apple will shortly be releasing the perfect accessory for dealing with such heretics

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post

Fortunately, Apple will shortly be releasing the perfect accessory for dealing with such heretics
    VERY cool.. although, not to put Apple down.. I think it's a step in the right direction, sleek, sexy, dangerous... but Android has them licked on this front.

I mean, THIS ANDROID hardware.. hubba hubba !!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I have just got hold of an omnia i900. Although it's getting on abit (about a year old), just formatted and erased all the Vodaphone junk that is put on it (making it almost unusable)

Wacked on a custom shell, tom tom and various bits that will be handy to me (remote desktop and media controller for my DJ'ing lappy)

Is actually a really good phone once the junk is off. Just needs a better touch keyboard (which im sure there is an install for one just have not looked)

Had my iphone4 for a few days now
    its infinatly better than my old HTC touch duo
    very bright hi res screen
    very easy to use, I have not bothered with any instructions
    my favorite app
    http://www.lighttracapp.com/

Thread Information