Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Breeze 2010 - the aftermath

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Breeze 2010 - the aftermath

In usual style, the good, bad and the ugly, plus a few added extra's..

I'll start with the bad..

The only bad thing was, I bought a brand new pair of shoes on Friday.. loved them and promptly lost them
    (if anyone happened to find/pick up a pair of Bronze coloured WCS shoes by mistake, size 5 1/2 in a black shoe bag, in the Blues-room, they're mine )

The Ugly - people showing themselves up, by demonstrating completely unwarranted and unfriendly 'bad attitude'. Very upsetting and totally unnecessary

The good - The organisation, the floors, the lighting and I personally didn't think it got too hot (can't comment on the mainroom, as I didn't go over at all)

Actually getting a few hours sleep over the weekend, which is very rare for me

Perfect timing - arriving at the Blues-room, just as the last cheer went up for the winners of the Blues comp!

The Absolutely fantastic - Gerry and Ian Boxall's sack the DJ slot, plus John Bakers Sunday afternoon set, (especially the 'extended bit' where he included some of the old funky choons) and that was followed by Locoman, working his usual magic! to them all!

The general atmosphere over the whole weekend - the camp was filled with happy smiling faces, lots of friendly banter, lots of laughter and silliness and not too many egos!

The amazing - We bought 2 large packs of ice on Friday, of which I said was a 'silly idea', seeing as we didn't have a freezer compartment but I was WRONG, we still had proper ice-cubes this morning... good eh!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Breeze 2010 - the aftermath

my quick review....

Good - seeing friends and having some great chats, giggles and dances.
    Going into WSM on saturday during the day, having chips and gravy on the sea front and then gate crashing the Wild West Frontier event that was also being held in Brean - we even had disguises so we blended in
    Enjoyed watching the DWAS competition and thought the judges made the right decision - the winners (Kirsty and ?) were excellent.

Bad - both DTS and I having the tail end of 'man flu' (apparently? ) I thought it was just a cold. and being quite knackered and out of breath most of the weekend.
    Never enough daytime dancing at brean and camber for me. And the pub was SO crowded (and I discovered a few with no manners or dance etiquette!)

Ugly - the chalet was revolting - i thought that they were not too bad at brean but i was wrong - think we just got unlucky this time.
    The traffic on the way down.
    Having to miss the sunday night as I had to be at uni at 9am today.

Would love to know the results of the competition - please can some lovely person post them - thanks xxx

13 sleeps to go....

Rachel xxx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl View Post
    the winners (Kirsty and ?)
    Nick! I didn't see it but they're a great couple, much loved by a lot of people
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

This was my last weekender for probably a long while, so was hoping to make the most of it. However, overall it didn't really do it for me which was a let down, compared to all the other weekenders I've been on.

Good:
    Blues room temperature was just right for me, enjoyed pretty much all the music I heard in there, and had some lovely dances.
    Also enjoyed watching the blues champs
    Catching up with people I'd not seen for a while.
    Warm chalet without needing to use the heating.

Bad
    Main room temperature was a lot hotter than previous weekenders, even during the day.
    Was very disappointed with the music on the Saturday evening (admittedly I was probably out earlier than I would usually be), and overall (apart from the blues showcase) didn't enjoy Saturday evening at all for the time that I did stay out.
    Only did 2 classes, the whips one I really enjoyed, although was a lot crammed into only one class.

Ridiculous
    The 'table' in the chalet and serious lack of workspace/storage for food. Luckily we do a lot of preparation up front, and having a freezer compartment in the fridge was helpful, but I have no idea how a family self catering for a week would actually cope!

Did having two separate buildings and the bad weather affect the enjoyment of the weekend ?

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Nick! I didn't see it but they're a great couple, much loved by a lot of people
    Nick is her regular partner but in the DWAS she was dancing with someone called Deetch (probably not the right spelling or exact name), and they were both excellent.

I agree with a lot of what Emmylou25 has said for me it was good but not great, I guess sometimes we have too high expectations. Maybe this was just me not in the right frame of mind rather than anything concretely wrong but it just lacked the wow factor.

Good
    • Saturday afternoon in the blues room followed by dancing in the pub – great afternoon.
    • Mike Ellards swing hour in the pub on the Sunday and the impromptu Lindy display by Nigel and Nina –amazing
    • Gary’s (Locoman) set in the blues room Saturday night, loved it.
    • Taking part in the DWAS with a lovely partner was great fun
    • Meeting Deerhunter and White Tiger, who were there as part of the Scottish contingency, always good to put faces to names and thanks for the dances Mr Deerhunter.
    • Having my friend Barbara there (she moved away to Dorset 3 years ago) and MarkW, word game friend being there.
    • Something strange happened to me on Sunday night, I got a bit bored in the blues room and ventured into the main room, stayed there to it closed and really enjoyed dancing to Chris Uren’s music.
    • Having Phil DB make us dinner on Sunday night, thanks Phil

Bad
    • The venue set up having to leave the building to go to other rooms (which I knew about when I booked) but was more of a pain this time because of the heavy rain).
    • It appeared that something had gone wrong with the gender balance but it could be that there were more men in the main room, not sure but definitely a lot more ladies in the blues room at times.

The Ugly
    Our chalet was awful, supposedly a club but very cramped, with not enough room for storage. The fixed breakfast bar that we had to prepare food on and eat at, was just plain stupid, shame it isn’t Brean Sands that Pontins are pulling down, because I think that it is the worst site.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Nick is her regular partner but in the DWAS she was dancing with someone called Deetch (probably not the right spelling
    Ah yes, Deej! I was thinking of her regular partner. I can imagine they made a hot combo!

The Ugly
    Our chalet was awful, supposedly a club but very cramped, with not enough room for storage. The fixed breakfast bar that we had to prepare food on and eat at, was just plain stupid, shame it isn’t Brean Sands that Pontins are pulling down, because I think that it is the worst site.
    Must have been designed by a man

I spent ages looking for the cutlery there was a 'small' drawer but it only had a few items in it but no knives, forks or spoons.. but then of course... they were in the bottom of the cupboard under the sink... SILLY ME!

Lory my partner Alison also lost her new red shoes we found hers in the lost property (genral store room)
    Prior to finding her shoes we went into the blues room 10am this morning just in front of the stage was a pile of lost property I believe your bronze shoes were there in a black shoe bag.

Good luck

Andy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cool View Post
    Lory my partner Alison also lost her new red shoes we found hers in the lost property (genral store room)
    Prior to finding her shoes we went into the blues room 10am this morning just in front of the stage was a pile of lost property I believe your bronze shoes were there in a black shoe bag.

Good luck

Andy
    Oh thank you!!!

That's VERY VERY strange though, as I went to the 'reception' where I was told 'lost property' was and the receptionist said nothing had been handed in but to come back.
    I went back twice, including this morning, when the girl on the desk didn't even bother to look, she just said, 'NOTHING' had been handed in.
    Which did surprise me somewhat, judging by the piles of clothes, shoes, umbrella's, bags and other random items that were on display in the hall of the last Southport on the Monday morning!

We had the same poor response from reception!
    Happily we were not convinced which is why we went to look for ourselves. first in the blues room, we then asked the security guy on the gate, he told us all lost property had already been taken to the general stores. luckily a cleaner took us over and we were lucky to find the shoes.
    I definatly saw your shoes when we saw the bag we thought it was the ones we were looking for. only to be disappointed when we looked inside.

Hope you get them back!

Andy

Nick is her regular partner but in the DWAS she was dancing with someone called Deetch (probably not the right spelling or exact name), and they were both excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Ah yes, Deej! I was thinking of her regular partner. I can imagine they made a hot combo!
    Personally I thought Ekow or Dale should have taken it but what fun would a comp be if everyone agreed? I know it was a DWAS but the connection between those two and their partners seemed to me a lot better than Deej and Kirsten, maybe they need to invest in a flat cap?

Something strange happened to me on Sunday night, I got a bit bored in the blues room and ventured into the main room, stayed there to it closed and really enjoyed dancing to Chris Uren’s music.
    Me too. In fact, Sun night as a whole was pretty flat for me in the Blues room in terms of the music.

Good
    * Well organised weekend, easy check-in, good floors in both rooms and the pub.
    * Sun afternoon in the pub after Swinger's Hour - great stuff from Jon Baker and locoman. I spent way longer in there than I had planned to.
    * late Fri night WCS in the pub
    * decent, clean, non-smelly chalet
    * was entered for the DWAS and that was good fun

Not so good
    * Managing to sleep all day on Saturday and thus missing the daytime dancing
    * ripping a hole in my new jumper trying to take my DWAS number off
    * the pouring rain on Sun morning making the walk back to the chalet more of a swim
    * missing the Sun night comps due to sleeping after staying in pub much longer than intended that afternoon

I had a great weekend

Breeze is less than an hour away from Bizzel

Met, but unfortunately, did not dance with Lory

Did an amazing class with Roy Power on Sat afternoon but his routine on Sunday was jut too complicated for my tired brain. Both class had equal men and women

• It appeared that something had gone wrong with the gender balance but it could be that there were more men in the main room, not sure but definitely a lot more ladies in the blues room at times.

I spent most of my time in the thunder room where the balance seemed reasonable, but I could not get off the floor, with out being grabbed, during brief visits to the blues room

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Personally I thought Ekow or Dale should have taken it but what fun would a comp be if everyone agreed? I know it was a DWAS but the connection between those two and their partners seemed to me a lot better than Deej and Kirsten, maybe they need to invest in a flat cap?
    I thought Ekow and Gaynor should have won too - they seemed to be connected and very well matched in terms of style and response to the music. Deej is an awesome blues dancer (to watch and dance with) but I just didn't see the connection between them or the type of blues dancing that I like to watch coming from them as a partnership. Huge to them for winning though and congratulations to all who placed and took part.

Yes I'm biased, but I was shocked at the results of the Blues Open. I couldn't believe that Susan and Carl didn't even place! The musicality and connection that was displayed was incredible. Congratulations to Ekow and Anna for winning .

Good
    * Sun afternoon in the pub after Swinger's Hour - great stuff from Jon Baker and locoman. I spent way longer in there than I had planned to.
    I had some incredible dances in there with old friends/favourites and new finds. I couldn't stop beaming during a couple of awesome dances with a couple of new favourites Darren and Filipe - don't think they're on here but and, as usual, awesome dances with Marc . Yes it was packed - the music and atmosphere was incredible so, of course it was packed - but I felt floorcraft was pretty good. I even had some fun wcs dances alongside jivers and collisions between the two were safely averted with smiles, winks, laughs and any accidental crashes (which were rare) were met with apologies and more of the same.

For a couple of songs I was spun to within an inch of my life by Gerry, which made me both squeal and cackle haha, great fun hon, thanks.

I had an awesome Saturday in the pub too, spent a long time propping up the bar, on the cider, and catching up and having giggles with old and new friends. I did have some fabulously fun dances too, plus the dancing is always very entertaining to watch when you are chilling out.

Not so good
    * Managing to sleep all day on Saturday and thus missing the daytime dancing
    At least you didn't pull a Fi and miss almost all of the Sunday night/Monday morning dancing

* the pouring rain on Sun morning making the walk back to the chalet more of a swim
    Yeah this wasn't pleasant, especially the river in the alley on the way back from the Blues room. I was very grateful that it was dry every time I left the chalet to go dancing though.
    Last edited by jive-vee; 4th-October-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    At least you didn't pull a Fi and miss almost all of the Sunday night/Monday morning dancing
    Nearly 17 months have passed, but I'm never going to live that down am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi View Post
    Nearly 17 months have passed, but I'm never going to live that down am I?
    Nope

The good: The dancing, the classes, the enthusiasm, skill and patience of all the ladies I danced with.

The bad: Finding out that not only was did '2 bed chalet' mean both beds in one room, but that I'd been put in with a stranger that thought smoking was just fine and dandy. He was a nice enough chap and a good dancer but it left me grumpy.

Overall I had an excellent weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Did having two separate buildings and the bad weather affect the enjoyment of the weekend ?
    Nah, not even remotely. Pulling on street shoes to flick between buildings took only seconds and the rain was rarely heavy (and even then only for a few minutes). If you were inside dancing you didn't notice

Disclaimer: I wasn't wearing a delicate outfit and my hair looks the same when wet..

Blog Entries

Very Important News Flash!

THEY HAVE FOUND MY SHOES!

I spoke to a really lovely old guy this morning, who's rang me back 3 times.

He's popping them in the post today, free of charge! This guy has restored my faith!

Now, just in case you hear of anyone else who lost shoes, I know he also found 2 pairs of black men's shoes, in dance bags, plus one pair of ladies beige sandals, also in bag!

Thanks Mr Cool!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: the separating of the rooms:
    Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    Nah, not even remotely. Pulling on street shoes to flick between buildings took only seconds and the rain was rarely heavy (and even then only for a few minutes). If you were inside dancing you didn't notice
    To be honest, I'd be amazed if many people did a lot of flitting - I went the the venue a few years ago, and as I recall the two buildings are a good hundred yards away from each other.

I honestly think a multi-room venue can only work well as a multi-room venue, if all the rooms are under the same roof.

A large part of why Southport is seen as a good venue is because there are three dance rooms, all close to each other. Similarly, Camber has a choice, all under one roof, although admittedly not quite so closely-clustered.

You need to be able to get from one room to another in less than a minute - ideally in a few seconds. If you can't do this, most people simply won't make the effort to swap, they'll stay where they are.

For example, look at the Southport a few years ago (I think it was a JA thing) where they had a lot of WCS music and dancing going on in that big marquee - and people wouldn't walk the 20 yards across the road to go to it, despite a large WCS presence. They simply danced WCS in the blues room instead.

People are happy to move around for classes, but they don't want to do so for freestyles. So I suspect that, at that venue, most people stayed in one place - is that a reasonable statement?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Re: the separating of the rooms:

People are happy to move around for classes, but they don't want to do so for freestyles. So I suspect that, at that venue, most people stayed in one place - is that a reasonable statement?
    For me yes and mainly for the reasons that you stated and if I had not got so bored on Sunday night I probably would never had made it to the main room. A couple of years ago when the weather was brilliant it did not matter but with at times torrential rain, it does not help you to make that extra effort to change rooms/buildings.

I think for me, going to IJig for last few months has made me appreciate up tempo dancing again

The Ugly
    Couldn't believe when one of my chalet mates said that she thought Brean was the best of all the layouts...mmm, kitchen rubbish, bath-y shower thing, split dance rooms, lack of facilities (storage) that you seem to get in other club (or lesser standard) chalets at other Pontins. Agree the place needs wrecking.

Thread Information