Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Breeze 2010 - the aftermath

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Breeze 2010 - the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    You know I don't understand why you guys don't cut to the chase and just dance tango, it's all there just waiting for you if you've been wanting that kind of dance that I see in the video that expresses the hug (embrace), the musical interpretation, and the connection don't waste any more energy
    Posture aside there does seem to be a lot in common, "culturally", between "blues blues" - the "proper blues" danced in the US that Straycat refers to - and Tango. The emphasis on connection, the generally close hold, the improvisational nature of the movements and so on.

But I'm now coming to the conclusion that there's simply no such thing as "MJ Blues", beyond "dancing MJ to slower-tempo-music".

If we haven't been able to define it any more than that, here, over the many years we've debated it, I think there's a good reason for that. It's simply a branding exercise - like "Villa Urquiza Style" in Tango, for example.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    It's all about the music ........... personally I really don't like that boring screachy tango stuff
    It's an acquired taste - and similarly, a Tango dancer from Buenos Aires would probably be equally-dismissive of most British pop music - "all that boom-boom stuff"

But Tango (traditional Tango) is at least quite tightly tied-in to the music style, that's one of its strengths. For that matter, so is "proper Blues" - there's a distinctive Blues music genre.

Less so for "MJ Blues", of course.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    But I'm now coming to the conclusion that there's simply no such thing as "MJ Blues", beyond "dancing MJ to slower-tempo-music".
    I think it is hard to describe because you can use at least 3 or 4 different dance styles for MJ blues and it is all up to the individual partnership.

I am thinking in terms of Tango, the triple step dances (Lindy and WCS) and Zouk regarding other partner dances and various individual body isolation dances such as belly dance for personal styling and movement especially for the followers.

Add to that the couples background of MJ I think you have a very wide choice of movement.

I would suggest that where a couple have a WCS backgroud compared to a Tango background they would put a totally different interpretation to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Anyone eles think we should just have a smooth jive competion instead?

One up beat funky track and one slow smooth track.
    I was wondering whether smooth jive would be the best musical interpretation of an up beat funky track?

Absolutely not

it is possible to dance MJ to slower-tempo-music without any real "connection". MJ Blues, like AT, requires a close connection with your partner

Like AT the closeness of the connection is determined largely by the follower

and like AT there are times when the connection is broken

also like AT there are many differnt styles

The biggest diffenace I have found between AT and MJ Blues, is not the dance, its the people

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Absolutely not
    Well

it is possible to dance MJ to slower-tempo-music without any real "connection". MJ Blues, like AT, requires a close connection with your partner
    Any partner dancing requires a close connection with your partner. To dance well to a slower tempo, you need to connect more, but that's simply because more accordion-style movements won't work well at slow tempos, so you need to improvise more. But that doesn't make it "Blues", that just makes it "technique and musicality".

Like AT the closeness of the connection is determined largely by the follower
    I'm not even sure that's totally true for AT... but again that applies to MJ.

and like AT there are times when the connection is broken
    Very very rarely in AT. Even dancing fully nuevo, I doubt I'd break a connection more than once in 5 tracks.

The Breeze vid showed people breaking connection constantly - dozens of times in each track.

also like AT there are many differnt styles
    Are any of these styles defined? Or is it simply individual preference?

The biggest diffenace I have found between AT and MJ Blues, is not the dance, its the people
    Of course, AT people are nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I was wondering whether smooth jive would be the best musical interpretation of an up beat funky track?
    And what's smooth jive anyway? Slotted, and no bouncing? I've never been to a smooth jive class but personally prefer slotted dancing. However, I've also never been taught to bounce in a ceroc class, so think it could just end up a ceroc competition of which there's already a few.

I liked watching the blues competition. Yes, there were some people who looked like they were just doing ceroc (most of those were out of the competition early on), and some obviously had a WCS background, but the latter didn't detract from the musicality/expression of the music which the former is more likely to do. I guess it's all about how you'd want to interpret the music & who you felt did it justice.

In the showcase for example, I preferred Dale & Jade (for me, there was more 'US' style blues - not that i have much experience of that). However I felt Susie's style was more suited to blues and better executed in the blues open.

The blues competition also provides me the chance to see different ways of dancing that I can learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I know some AT teachers who would vehemently disagree with that. Personally, I cannot stand watching (for example) AT danced to pop music. Strictly is a repeat offender on this issue - - I love the track, and the dancing is great, but my brain cannot make any connection between the dance and the music - and in consequence that performance has absolutely no appeal for me
    Very much agreed. Taken separately (for ex, the simplest way , by switching the sound off! LOL) - beautiful. Together... hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    Not such a bad idea Frisky Jim
    I won't be changing my forum name to that any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    When I say upbeat and funky I'm thinking s'funk not mainroom. And so yes I think the best S'funk dancers look very smooth to me and also really cool and relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    And what's smooth jive anyway? Slotted, and no bouncing? I've never been to a smooth jive class but personally prefer slotted dancing. However, I've also never been taught to bounce in a ceroc class, so think it could just end up a ceroc competition of which there's already a few.
    I think there needs to be a competition somewhere in the middle. I loved the DWAS competition at Twisted last year as I knew (from my experiences of dancing at Watford Twisted events) that I had more chance of drawing a dancer rather than a moves monster and that the music would be more to my liking. I love faster (or slow) funkier stuff, music and lyrics that you can play with when dancing and leaders that allow you to express yourself whilst matching them.

The Blues comp at Breeze is always very enjoyable to watch and whilst I do enjoy the mainstream jive competitions that I've attended the usual "doosh doosh" music typical of the lucky dips sends me over the edge. The music at the Twisted DWAS comp was awesome. I would be very happy if this event were to be repeated

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I know some AT teachers who would vehemently disagree with that. Personally, I cannot stand watching (for example) AT danced to pop music. Strictly is a repeat offender on this issue - - I love the track, and the dancing is great, but my brain cannot make any connection between the dance and the music - and in consequence that performance has absolutely no appeal for me
    I perceive this dancing purely as a show dance, a very heavily choreographed display of dancing with some tango steps added, and no musical interpretation delivered for the poor follower to follow, it is not a lead and follow dance. If someone likes to see a show then this is for them, but as for a tango display I don't agree that it is that at all.

With regards to modern music and traditional tango, it would very much depend on the track, for example something on the lines of 'Tango to Evora' or Apocolyptica's version of 'Nothing else Matters' works for me. I love Piazolla's 'Oblivion' it is just spine chillingly beautiful. The more traditional Carlos di Sarli is wonderful and when dancing to 'Bahia blanca' I feel I know through the music just where to place my feet and how to decorate. The traditional and the more contemporary that I have mentioned do lend themselves to Salon style tango, that is close embrase, one body four legs etc ... and on a very personal note that for me is how I like my tango.

Oh dear AT discussions have someone hijacked this thread......
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I spoke to a really lovely old guy this morning, who's rang me back 3 times.

He's popping them in the post today, free of charge! This guy has restored my faith!

Now, just in case you hear of anyone else who lost shoes, I know he also found 2 pairs of black men's shoes, in dance bags, plus one pair of ladies beige sandals, also in bag!
    Finally spoke to 'Larry', what a lovely guy, he deserves the Pontins Medal for Helpfulness, he called me back twice and has found my shoes and popping them in the post this afternoon

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    Finally spoke to 'Larry', what a lovely guy, he deserves the Pontins Medal for Helpfulness, he called me back twice and has found my shoes and popping them in the post this afternoon
    Brilliant!
    I emailed Pontins to tell them how helpful Larry was and they replied saying they'd pass the comment on.
    I hope they do but sadly, I fear my message might get lost by the 'other' staff
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Fab news ! Perseverence does pay off, sometimes.

Blog Entries

Finally spoke to 'Larry', what a lovely guy, he deserves the Pontins Medal for Helpfulness
    To be fair, it's not like that one would have a lot of competition for the award.

To be fair, it's not like that one would have a lot of competition for the award.

So true. When I left a message for Larry at reception I said shall I tell you what I need him to look for so that he can look before he calls me back and they said no!

Reading through this thread, there seems to be a fairly mixed bag of opinions, with some common issues, e.g. the state of the accommodation, the split rooms etc. There's more discussion at http://www.southernjive.co.uk/forum/...pic.php?t=1027

I went last year and really enjoyed it although I wasn't at all sure what Blues dancing was at the time. The main comment I got from other people was that they were surprised how few Blues classes there were for ostensibly a Blues Weekender. I'm not sure I would go again.

Thread Information