Thread: IE9 Beta

IE9 Beta

Oh ****, I downloaded Explorer 9 Beta and am beginning to wish I hadn't bothered. In tidying up the interface they've made some, to me, unwelcome changes. For some reason they've moved the Favorite/History listings from the LH to the RH side. And my poor little mouse is getting jolly tired scampering about (I fear for his knees) from left to right and back between Favorites and Back button. Besides that where's the Searchbox, where I could formerly choose which engine to use. I'm only saved by the BT Yahoo toolbar with its Web Search ...... but that annoys by leading with a whole clutch of sponsored sites. I'm used to Google, and I want Google.

Ahh, managed to pin Google to the Taskbar.

Commercial Operator

Re: IE9 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I'm used to Google, and I want Google.
    Stay away from Microsoft then - I prefer Chrome & Safari & only use IE when some muppet creates a site that only uses IE (I try to avoid these but some I can't)

The Oracle

goto Settings (the gear icon next to favourites), and select Manage Addons.
    Select Search Providers, then select Google and set it to be the default.

Alternatively when you add new search providers by clicking 'Add' at the bottom of the search list, you can then set it to be the default.

Unfortinately it doesn't let you right click on an existing one and change it to be the default.

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    Stay away from Microsoft then - I prefer Chrome & Safari & only use IE when some muppet creates a site that only uses IE (I try to avoid these but some I can't)
    I suppose that was predictable. But back in the days when I was a (very amateur) webmaster, some touted Netscape as the superior product and where's that now? For me it was fatally flawed and couldn't render my pages as I wanted them.

These days I just want an easy life, one browser and one familiar interface. I'm not minded to keep jumping ship as the browser wars briefly shoot one or another pretender to the fore.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    These days I just want an easy life, one browser and one familiar interface.
    For years I've resisted all the recommendations to scrap IE for similar reasons, but I've just moved to Google Chrome, interface wise it's so easy you'll be familiar within minutes. And speed wise? Well I won't be going back to IE.
    So why not give it a try? I nearly gave up when it wouldn't download first time (I'm running Vista ) but I'm glad I persevered.

Greg

Thread Information