Thread: Accommodation at Weekenders/Camps

Blog Entries

Accommodation at Weekenders/Camps

I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting older, I have more disposable income or just more picky nowadays, but the thought of staying in poor or distant accommodation for a weekender or dance camp really puts me off nowadays.
    There seems to be all options available, from 5* hotels with everything in the same building, all the way to fantastic looking dance camps that don't have on-site accommodation at all, you have to book a local hotel and drive to-and-fro!
    In fact, one of the biggest and most popular European dance camps, has shared dormitories, with separate buildings for the classes and freestyles!
    Judging by the feedback, these "less than ideal" arranged camps are the best ones and not to be missed, but the poor accommodation just puts me off.

Anyone else feel the same, or is it just me?
    If you've been to the likes of Herräng/Goodnight Sweetheart etc, are we really missing out by being picky?

Re: Accommodation at Weekenders/Camps

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Anyone else feel the same,?

May be because the budget accommodation attracts the younger, attractive singletons, who are happy to dance with anyone and every one

Five star spars, attracts couples and hot shots who just want to dance each other.

It’s very expensive / difficult / impossible, to get a single room at Hotel weekends

Ooh I think I going to get a lot of flack over this post

Been there Gav and still going.

It's because you're getting older!!!!!!

I think it really does depend on what you want from the weekend, if you just want to dance your socks off then the accommodation is secondary, your probably too tired to worry about the crap bed.
    If your a couple and you enjoy the dancing but the weekender is a like a holiday away from your daily life i.e. kids etc, you will want and need some proper home comforts like a real comfy bed.

I don't think hotshots come into the equation.

I think in these times the cost of the weekender is the biggest deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Five star spars, attracts couples and hot shots who just want to dance each other.
    It's easy to make that assumption. I felt like that when I went to a Jump, Jive and Boogie weekend...everyone staying in their own little cliques and only dancing with their partners or close friends, but when you speak to people and ask them to dance, the usual answer is “Oh, I’m not very good” or “I only know a few moves”, etc.

I think those types of weekenders attract people who like seeing live bands, enjoy dressing up in retro or vintage clothing and do the occasional dance lesson so they can just about get by in a freestyle.

It’s a shame there aren’t more great dancers because the hotel at Hayling Island where we’ve been to for Jump, Jive and Boogie is superb and has everything we’d look for in a venue…most importantly for me is you can get ready, put your dance shoes on in your room and stay indoors to get everywhere you need to go…no getting wet, changing shoes or having your hairdo ruined in the wind.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Of course its nice to have a bit of luxury and thankfully I'm able to have 'other' holidays during the years when I can get this!

BUT, I firmly believe that when everyone forced into the same boat, regardless of how much they earn, whether they live in a mansion of a council flat, what car they drive or even if they're running the event or the headline act.

I reckon it brings out the best in people! There's an air of equality and camaraderie. And dare I say it, community spirit.

And if you've only got a 2ft bed to sleep on, a bathroom with no lock, a shower that only stays on if you shove a knife down the side of the button and you have to inform everyone you're having a shower and NOT to put the cooker on while you're in the middle of it....... There's a great deal of comfort to be gained by knowing that everyone else, has got exactly the same!

It gives people common ground to have a moan or giggle about and I have first hand experienced of how helpful, hospitable, willing to share and generous people can be under those circumstances..

If your in a 5* hotel, there isn't really the need for much of the above, as everything is provided and any gripes should/would be taken up with the management.

Actually, the words luxury and exclusive used to describe 5* accom, seems to go with privacy, secluded and romantic

Whereas.. chalet and campsite, seems to go with, mad parties, open doors and lots of laughter!

Both, are very nice!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I'd agree with what Lory says about the 'fun' side of cheap/budget weekenders. It's fun staying with friends, especially if you're not in a couple (my OH doesn't dance!), and there's the whole camping type feel, packing your whole life up to get a decent standard of living whilst you're there. It also means that you in theory spend more time out dancing which is effectively what I've paid to do...plus I'm a cheapskate, and I'm quite happy to slum it for the chance to get so many weekenders away dancing a year.

I'd avoid most hotel based weekenders as it really feels geared up towards couples, plus are really expensive. I'm booked for the first time at the hotel based midland swing open and it's actually working out reasonably priced, however I'm having to share with someone I'm not really that friendly with, have never been on a weekender with, and so it's a bit scary compared to the first time i went on a ceroc weekender even though none of those people I shared with then were experienced weekender people.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    I'd agree with what Lory says about the 'fun' side of cheap/budget weekenders. It's fun staying with friends, especially if you're not in a couple (my OH doesn't dance!)
    I agree with you and Lory, its just the fact that you feel the need to burn your clothes and disinfect yourself after you've been there that I hate. Oh and the mould, I hate cleaning the damn mould off the walls each time I get there.

But is part of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    its just the fact that you feel the need to burn your clothes and disinfect yourself after you've been there .
    but that's what creates the atmosphere and its the atmosphere that we all love (and love to hate)
    as you say

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    But is part of the experience.

Blog Entries

OK, We've got Southport and Camber covered, how about a 4 day dance weekender where there's no on-site accommodation and the nearest is 4 miles away? It's in February, so how do you fancy the drive in and back probably several times a day?

......In fact, one of the biggest and most popular European dance camps, has shared dormitories, with separate buildings for the classes and freestyles!
    Judging by the feedback, these "less than ideal" arranged camps are the best ones and not to be missed, but the poor accommodation just puts me off.

Anyone else feel the same, or is it just me?
    If you've been to the likes of Herräng/Goodnight Sweetheart etc, are we really missing out by being picky?
    I think over the years I have been to nearly all the dance weekenders etcs -at Herräng which is over 5 weeks (you choose how much you want to attend) - they did have shared dorms and camp sites, BUT when I went, we stayed at very nice accomodation right next to the camp, so you do have a choice. For me, that made the difference

At Goodnight Sweetheart the hotel was a drive away from the camp - it did spoil the weekend for me. Same with Jumping at the Woodside, but they had their classes splattered over the town !

Anyone remember JiveBug's Bisley weekend ???? We stayed in the barracks and shared the showers and some people even found unwelcome company in the beds

After attending LUX over the Bank Holiday, I have to say the hotel option is definitely the best.

OK, We've got Southport and Camber covered, how about a 4 day dance weekender where there's no on-site accommodation and the nearest is 4 miles away? It's in February, so how do you fancy the drive in and back probably several times a day?
    Nah........ the weekend has got to be pretty special for me to do that again - one of the joys of weekenders, is having a drink and not worrying about the car

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    ......Five star spars, attracts couples and hot shots who just want to dance each other.....
    Some do - but not all - but it is also a good oportunity for muggle partners to see what all the fuss is about too

Rock Bottoms, built their reputation from Hotel based weekenders and they ARE for singles primarily and we all know how well they have done

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    And if you've only got a 2ft bed to sleep on, a bathroom with no lock, a shower that only stays on if you shove a knife down the side of the button and you have to inform everyone you're having a shower and NOT to put the cooker on while you're in the middle of it....... There's a great deal of comfort to be gained by knowing that everyone else, has got exactly the same!
    That's no comfort if you haven't been able to sleep properly all weekend in the cold, damp, noisy room and are so tired that you can't enjoy yourself.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    At Goodnight Sweetheart the hotel was a drive away from the camp - it did spoil the weekend for me. Same with Jumping at the Woodside, but they had their classes splattered over the town !
    What was it about that that spoiled the weekend? We just did Camp Savoy, and elected not to use the camp accommodation, but stayed at a hotel around five miles away - and we had an amazing time regardless. I don't think it did anything to harm our enjoyment.

I agree it's nice to be in the center of things, staying with everyone else, but gone are the days when I was happy at Beach Boogie sleeping in a teensy tent (for example) - these days I prioritise comfort.

The only camp I've been to where that isn't necessarily an option is Herrang - you can get nice accommodation, and we generally have, but there is an element of luck involved. Is it worth the discomfort? Absolutely yes - it's rare you get the opportunity to have such intensive dancing and learning over that kind of time period - but it really depends what you want out of a camp.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Now I'm pushing 40,
    I think this is all relative. I'm 54 in a few weeks. I was talking with a guy in his seventies the other day and he said he'd love to be 54 again. So I'm now enjoying my relative youth on his behalf.

Please feel free to enjoy your late 30s in the way I would if I was your age again and able to have another go

Thread Information