Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seven is definitely more than three ...

Re: Answering a simple post in a WCS thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    If I attended a Tango weekender where there was a MJ taster lesson I would still expect to dance tango in the majority of the freestyle. I wouldn't say "I'm sorry, I only dance MJ". But, for some reason, Gerry thinks acting this way is acceptable at an MJ weekender or other MJ event

I think DB summed it up.
    Obviously you must be good at Tango aswell.
    I think if you go to a Weekender where you are expecting to go to classes that are taught by a top teacher even though this dance style is the junior partner I would presume that was the sole selling point. In this instance I don't think it would be necessary for you to be able to dance MJ.

I certainly would agree with you if it was just an ordinary dance night.

There is absolutely no reason why consenting adults shouldn't dance Balboa at a MJ event.

But they shouldn't refuse the request for a dance at a MJ event because they are a Balboa purist and don't dance MJ any more.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    I have on occasions requested swing music, but mainly because I like dancing MJ to swing, rather than because I want to hijack the evening and turn it into a lindyhop event.
    Me too! A lot of swing music is perfectly MJ'able and I love dancing MJ to swing music like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    There are plenty of lindyhop events so I have no need to do that, and hey, guess what, sometimes I dance MJ at lindyhop events, and receive pitying looks from some of the lindyhoppers. Do I care? Not really

Yes, me and Gav did a bit of MJ at Twinwood this weekend and we've done it in the past at a Jump, Jive and Boogie event. Honestly, you'd think we'd murdered someone's Gran and nicked her slippers with the looks you get!! I also like wearing heels with my swing dresses, which is sooooo not the done thing. Do I care? Nope!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I also like wearing heels with my swing dresses,

.......Yes, me and Gav did a bit of MJ at Twinwood this weekend and we've done it in the past at a Jump, Jive and Boogie event. Honestly, you'd think we'd murdered someone's Gran and nicked her slippers with the looks you get!! I also like wearing heels with my swing dresses, which is sooooo not the done......

On Sunday at Camp Savoy I saw something I have NEVER seen before, they played "Revival" and NO-ONE was strolling they were 'dancing' to it

For those of you not familiar with it is the classic Rock 'n Roll stroller and in a 40's event, it is almost a sin to 'jive' to it

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

On Sunday at Camp Savoy I saw something I have NEVER seen before, they played "Revival" and NO-ONE was strolling they were 'dancing' to it

For those of you not familiar with it is the classic Rock 'n Roll stroller and in a 40's event, it is almost a sin to 'jive' to it
    Do you mean Revival Day? Got a YouTube link? Never seen a stroll done to it - would be interesting to see.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Do you mean Revival Day? Got a YouTube link? Never seen a stroll done to it - would be interesting to see.
    If you click on "revival" in Minnie's post it is a youtube link
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    If you click on "revival" in Minnie's post it is a youtube link
    Ta. I'm not being very observant today

Hmmm. I can't imagine wanting to do a stroll to that track - Revival Day gives you so much to play around with (it's a great track that I struggle unsuccessfully not to overplay - guaranteed floor-filler) - to do a stroll to it would feel (to me) like a wasted dance.
    Last edited by straycat; 2nd-September-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I think if you go to a Weekender where you are expecting to go to classes that are taught by a top teacher even though this dance style is the junior partner I would presume that was the sole selling point. In this instance I don't think it would be necessary for you to be able to dance MJ.
    Sure - and I agree that some people do this, although it seems a weird thing to do. It's like going to a steakhouse and only going for the salad, or something. But I can just about understand it.

What I don't understand is, why would you attend the freestyle in Another Dance Form? I mean, what's the point? Surely there must be something better to do - was there nothing on the telly or what?
    Last edited by David Bailey; 2nd-September-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    What I don't understand is, why would you attend the freestyle in Another Dance Form?
    I've always thought it was to show off.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I mean, what's the point? Surely there must be something better to do - was there nothing on the telly or what?
    The other reason could be that there's no freestyles in that particular dance.

And they probably need something to do while the grown-up programmes are on the telly.

Commercial Operator

Obviously you must be good at Tango as well.
    I am not good at Tango. I can do it as I've done quite a few workshops at weekenders. However, I like the "as well" - there is an unspoke compliment in there - thank you Gerry

I certainly would agree with you if it was just an ordinary dance night.
    And it's ordinary dance nights that I was talking about. Gerry brought up weekenders - although I do disagree with Gerry on the weekender thing But only partly. It's all down to the offer of the weekender. If it was promoted an MJ weekender with tasters of other dances I'd say you really should be able to do MJ. If it was a weekender with a whole programme of lessons in another dance I'd say Gerry was right.

So there you have it. I mostly agree with Gerry. However, I am his evil twin

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Now...I learnt that stroll at Just Jivin' 6 years ago (Not to Revival) and it's the easiest stroll to do, so I think it's almost insulting to such a great track to do an easy stroll to. That track is perfect to Lindy your ass off to.

Having said that, it is mildly irritating when everyone on the dance floor is strolling and the odd couple in the corner are dancing, ruining the whole aesthetics of the stroll. Either join in the stroll or watch, you muppets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I dance with everyone,
    I can vouch for that

8 moves Stew

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am not good at Tango.
    Me neither.

At best, I can say I now know what "Good at Tango" looks like.

Ghost's verging on being Good At Tango, I reckon.

Re: Seven is definitely more than three ...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Ta. I'm not being very observant today

Hmmm. I can't imagine wanting to do a stroll to that track - Revival Day gives you so much to play around with (it's a great track that I struggle unsuccessfully not to overplay - guaranteed floor-filler) - to do a stroll to it would feel (to me) like a wasted dance.
    tell that to a Rock 'n Roll dancer LaVerne Baker and Rivival Day is THE main stroller - and at a RnR dance you NEVER jive when it is on.

Actually it is really frustrating, as I agree it is a great track and fun to dance to.

Now...I learnt that stroll at Just Jivin' 6 years ago (Not to Revival) and it's the easiest stroll to do, so I think it's almost insulting to such a great track to do an easy stroll to. That track is perfect to Lindy your ass off to.

Having said that, it is mildly irritating when everyone on the dance floor is strolling and the odd couple in the corner are dancing, ruining the whole aesthetics of the stroll. Either join in the stroll or watch, you muppets!!!
    At a Rock 'n Roll event they wouldn't be any space to 'jive' when they are strolling, at a 40's event there sometimes are a couple of couples 'jiving' but they are looked down on by the strollers. (quite funny really)

Join me this weekend at Bromley Boogie or Dartford Spitfire Bounce and you will see exactly what I mean. (Great DJ's at Spitfire on Saturday, sexy French JC and hunky Jack from Yorkshire)

--ooOoo--

Thread Information