Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What spoilt last night for you

Re: What spoilt last night for you

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I think it just better in all things to create an environment of positivity and balance than negativity.
    How are you finding those stripes Mr Leopard?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    How are you finding those stripes Mr Leopard?
    Itchy...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fine, but shouldn't discussion lead to resolution of issues if enough people are genuinely concerned about them?
    Dunno. It never has so far.

Wouldn't it be better if the Forum actually had some influence rather than organizers ignoring it exactly for this reason??
    Organisers don't ignore the forum because it's too negative. They ignore the forum because it's not seen as important or relevant to their business. And they may be right to do so, as the feedback on this place is a very very small and unrepresentative sample of their customer base.

Wouldn't you rather feel that you could make a difference with your comments and actions than being ignored because very few people ever follow up on their complaints?
    Actually, I kind of assume no-one reads this stuff anyway.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I have to concur with everything LL says, and actually I don’t think he’s being particularly negative. It was rammed. I was on the verge of leaving and asking for my money back But I won’t get a chance to dance much for the next couple of weeks, so resigned myself to it. I talked to several people, and they all complained about the conditions.
    See.... I can actually see Rocky's point here.

If it was that bad, you should complain - both verbally, getting your money back, and by sending them an email to follow up. If nothing else, it's cathartic.

By all means, whinge on here too - that's where I disagree with HippyRocky - but also send a complaint along.

LL – the floor on the boat is either sticky (that was the worst I’ve ever seen it), or as slippery as an ice rink. Not only was an announcement made asking people to take care and watch where they were going when dancing, David Bradley was actually sprinkling talc on the floor.
    I remember dancing there about 10+ years ago, and Lindyloo was wandering around in, basically, a bikini, doing the same.

Made the event worthwhile

And no, I don't want Dave Bradley to wear a bikini.

As for complaining to the management, well, I wouldn’t have seen the point on Monday. They knew the floor was diabolical. They knew that it was raining, but still packed as many people in as they could, despite one dance area being out of action (actually, some brave/daft souls did dance outside, in the rain – that is how bad the overcrowding was!).
    See, thing is, if you want to go again, then if you don't complain and it's as bad next time, the organisers can say "well, no-one complained before"...

As for the aerials, I didn’t approve, but it’s up to management to deal with it. I am not happy with the idea that are expected to report them. Management could have included the aerials ban in the floorcraft announcement they made if they really wanted to.
    I agree Ceroc could do more to enforce and publicize the ban, and I also agree that it's up to the event organisers to have a word with anyone doing aerials. But it may be helpful for a punter to point out aerialists to the organisers, as the organisers are busy people and may simply have missed seeing them.

Cool Re: What spoilt last night for you

I think this is an incredibly negative thread and should be withdrawn. All organizers are struggling at the moment and work very hard to put the nights on that they do. And this is usually backed by the additional hard work put in by the teachers and Dj's...
    -(insert loads more complete sense here)-
    ...you can hardly complain about problems at an event time after time if no-one can be bothered to actually put their complaint in writing to the relevant person.
    I totally agree. This thread typifies the mind-set that the original thread was trying to escape from. Let's stay focused on the happy.

You are right though Pete, negative feedback is important, but only if it goes to the right place; the event organiser. It may be that your idea is easy to accommodate and the event is improved in the future, not only for you, but for everyone.

Apart from focusing on the happy, the idea also skates on very thin ice regarding the forum rules on naming and shaming too.
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 2nd-June-2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: FORgot

Blog Entries

Sheesh, sometimes people just want to blow off a bit of steam and know that the people at the other end understand what they're talking about. Sometimes they're after hearing whether anyone else felt the same or if it was just them.
    I can't see me using it, but if you really find it that offensive, don't read it f.Fs!

I think this is an incredibly negative thread and should be withdrawn.

last was good for me, no complaints

Whatever happened to free speech?

Commercial Operator

I think it just better in all things to create an environment of positivity and balance than negativity.
    By definition, do we not need negativity to balance positivity? How can something be all positive and yet remain balanced?

Yin and Yang, and all that...

I'm not a fan of moaners, etc and I'd be gutted if my events took a shoeing, but does that mean we shouldn't allow it??

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whatever happened to free speech?
    I really don't think there is a 'free speech' issue here.
    I tend to agree that a thread devoted to negative reviews is a step in the wrong direction. I had read Rocky & Stokebloke's posts as such, not that people should not be allowed to post negative stuff about events they've attended.
    As an organizer myself, I read the reviews in here and on Facebook, and find the bad as useful as the good, but I prefer a more balanced approach.

To clarify, once more, this forum welcomes all discussions (good & bad) about events and organizers as well as all aspects of the dancing world, and if the title of the thread had been "My review of The boat last Sunday" for example, it would have been a discussion about that event, with dancers agreeing or not about the topic.
    The concern is that this thread might become a flag pole for everyone to post negative reviews about events, rather than a more balanced perspective.

My personal views is that everyone should post more reviews along the week-ender aftermath threads, with the good, the bad, etc... That way forumites would be able to form a proper opinion on whether an event would be suitable for them. Few events are so bad, that they only have negative features.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Actually, I agree with you Franck. I should have used the quotes - it was the repeated request to have the thread pulled and only focus on the positive that I was referring to in my comment on free speech. I'd already suggested further up renaming the thread. I'm all for balanced discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    My personal views is that everyone should post more reviews along the week-ender aftermath threads, with the good, the bad, etc... That way forumites would be able to form a proper opinion on whether an event would be suitable for them. Few events are so bad, that they only have negative features.

But we didn't have a thread for that till this one came along. Posting something on the "was last night amazing for you" thread feels wrong. Maybe I should have started one when I had a less than glowing review to post, but I didn't.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But we didn't have a thread for that till this one came along. Posting something on the "was last night amazing for you" thread feels wrong. Maybe I should have started one when I had a less than glowing review to post, but I didn't.
    I think that's the issue, maybe starting a new thread is too scary to most people, but it's really simple, click on new thread, give it a meaningful title and make your point. If people want to talk about it, they will, if nobody's interested, you'll find out quickly!

Whilst the forum went through a quiet period recently, it is easy to forget how negative things had become for a while, and how discouraging things were for all organizers. the "Was last night amazing for you too?" thread was started to compensate for all the negative, as most people would post only when something had gone wrong. That thread was very successful in reversing the trend, to the point where it appears forumites want more 'critical' reviews again. All good, but I would rather this was done on a thread by thread basis.

There are two constructive ways to address a failing at an event:

- Write a full review of the event (including the good, bad, ugly, amazing).

- Start a thread discussing the specific issue, but not necessarily the specific venue i.e. "How should event organizers deal with overcrowding?"

Either of the above would have helped with the 'letting off steam' aspect and the 'constructive criticism' aspirations.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

I dont think we a separate thread for every class or dance
    but how about a new thread

How was for you

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a discussion forum and one of the biggest talking points is surely what makes a good or bad night.

Sometimes, we just need reassurance that it was not just 'us', that suffered the 'problem' before going to the powers that be and making a complaint!

I do appreciate that 'most' of the time, the reason people don't enjoy an evening, is down to them and how they feel about themselves that night and that's why I think its good to have this outlet, it can put things into perspective.
    If it turns out that no one else had the same problem, then its clear to the organisers and the other readers, that it wasn't a 'general' problem

Also, as with some of the posts at the top, its nice when we've had a complaint, i.e. the floor at Hammersmith and it gets reported back, that it's now been sorted!

I understand that the organisers wouldn't want to see their venue talked about in a negative sense but as a paying punter, if the organiser is providing a poor quality of service and charging for it, then I think its fair game.

Of course the organiser will also have the chance to, offer an excuse, explanation, apology and/or a promise to try to rectify things in the future.

AFAIC, when an organiser does this, instead if simply ignoring they usually come through looking good.

We're not stupid, we 'can' understand when unexpected things happen and they turn out to have been out of the control of the organiser. What's not acceptable is when a known problem happens time and time again and nothing appears to be done about it.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The thread makes an assumption that the organizers of these events actually read this Forum - and the vast majority don't.
    I'd have to say that this comment is contrary to the many Ceroc and independent organisers I have spoken to over the years. A lot (almost all, in fact) of them stalk, but don't post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think its good to have this outlet, it can put things into perspective.
    If it turns out that no one else had the same problem, then its clear to the organisers and the other readers, that it wasn't a 'general' problem

I think Lory makes a good point here that sometimes you do wonder if it's just you with the issue and want to test the water with other forumites to see if anyone else agrees that you have a genuine reason to complain.

Blog Entries

The thread makes an assumption that the organizers of these events actually read this Forum - and the vast majority don't.
    Hmm, I find this very strange.
    I know if I was an organiser, I'd make it my business to read what people have to say about my event (and the competition), good or bad.
    A good organiser 'should' be bothered by what their punters think of the experience they have.
    Even if its just a minority who give the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I totally agree. This thread typifies the mind-set that the original thread was trying to escape from.
    And that's why the posts were 'moved' out of that thread and into this separate thread, so as not to contaminate the feel good factor of that thread.
    You are right though Pete, negative feedback is important, but only if it goes to the right place; the event organiser.
    I've heard that some people who've given direct feedback, have been met with a hostile and defensive response
    Or, simply 'no reply' at all, to an complaint made via email

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    I really don't think there is a 'free speech' issue here.
    I tend to agree that a thread devoted to negative reviews is a step in the wrong direction. I had read Rocky & Stokebloke's posts as such, not that people should not be allowed to post negative stuff about events they've attended.
    I would be reluctant to withdraw this thread, unless the 'opposing' thread, "was last night amazing for you?", was also withdrawn and both were replaced with a single thread, "How was last night for you?", where people would be encouraged to write 'balanced' reviews
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Cool Re: What spoilt last night for you

I've heard that some people who've given direct feedback, have been met with a hostile and defensive response
    Or, simply 'no reply' at all, to an complaint made via email
    Then you vote with your feet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Then you vote with your feet
    I agree but should you go quietly or let other paying punters on the Forum know about your experience?

I agree but should you go quietly or let other paying punters on the Forum know about your experience?
    Personally I went quietly. There seemed to be enough people who were happy with the way things were. However, if someone asks me directly "are you and Essie going to be at ___________?" I will happily tell them that we won't be, and if they ask, of course I will tell them why. I also understand that their experience may be different to mine.

One man's meat is another man's poison and all that.....

Blog Entries

OK, lets not talk specifics but you were a fully paying punter?

You had a genuine complaint? (Flooring? Lack of fans, aircon? Price of drinks? Rude staff?)

And there was no other underlying reason that you might have had a problem with this organiser?

If it were me, I'd firstly like to know if I were the only one who felt like this, so I might ask here.

And secondly, had anyone else broached the subject with the organiser before?

And lastly, if I then took it up with them and got a bad response or none at all, I'd make damn sure that other people knew that I'd tried but to no avail, before I went quietly!

Thread Information