Thread: Brand name or not???

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Brand name or not???

Sorry to bring this up again But in the other threads that discussed this topic, I thought we'd established that LeRoc, is NOT a brand
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Is there a 'brand' called LeRoc?
    Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post

Is "Leroc" a brand name?

Quote Originally Posted by seamus View Post
    There is no brand called LeRoc.
    BUT reading this article in Wikipedia, in the section headed ORGANISATIONS it gives the impression it is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Jive
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Brand name or not???

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ..BUT reading this article in Wikipedia, in the section headed ORGANISATIONS it gives the impression it is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Jive
    hmmmmm........... no mention of LeJive a definite influence at the start of Modern Jive and of course the start of Modern Jive competitions (who writes this stuff anyway)

Not sure why there is a mention of a couple of MJ dance champs - not that they don't deserve a mention, but there are many other more influential

We only recently (the past few years) had Ceroc down in Brighton and the surrounding areas, before then most dancers had never hear of it, and the 'brand name' for MJ dancing was leRoc

eg: I dance LeRoc

Not sure if I would call it a brand name though, you need the infamous Mr. McGregor to answer that.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Most well know brand names are also trademarks
    But Leroc is not, a legally protected brand name or trademark
    It is not owned by anyone, (although it is the name of someone’s trademarked logo)
    The word Leroc is incorporated in innumerable Brand names few, if any, are trademarks
    So I think Leroc is brand name, anyone can use but it is not unique or protected

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    hmmmmm........... ons (who writes this stuff anyway)
    The Great Unwashed

Commercial Operator

Not sure if I would call it a brand name though, you need the infamous Mr. McGregor to answer that.
    The LeRoc name is now used so commonly it is impossible to obtain trademark protection. This means that any class saying they teach "LeRoc" runs the risk of another class opening down the road with a very similar description.

LeRoc is no more protectable than other words to describe dance such as "Ballroom" or "Salsa".

If, for instance there was an organisation in the next county called "Hampshire LeRoc" they would have no legal redress if someone opened a class called "LeRoc Southampton" or "Southern LeRoc".

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(who writes this stuff anyway)
    Ahem.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Ahem.
    they let ANYBODY edit wikipedia - its a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    they let ANYBODY edit wikipedia - its a wretched hive of scum and villainy.
    Yes, I also saw MartinHarper's edits.

A brand is a fairly loosely defined concept. It is generally defined as the identity of the product. A 'brand' itself doesn't have any special legal protection or definition. In essence, a brand is what people call something - eg a product, a service or a company. It also carries all sorts of connotations of reputation and values associated with the thing. In accounting terms, the brand is actually the difference between the book valuation and the market cap value of the company. By this measure, Coca Cola's brand accounts for half of the company's value at somewhere around 75 billion.

Brands will tend to form around any company, product or service. Most companies are aware of this and try to control the brand that forms. Ceroc is, essentially, a service. With services, the brand is largely perceived through the customer experience of the service. So controlling that experience is an important part of managing the brand. When ceroc licenses a franchise, the franchisee is, at least in some part, paying for the use of the ceroc brand and the systems that support it. In return, they franchisees operate their venues, which contributes to building the ceroc brand. The ceroc brand attracts people to ceroc branded classes and events. (A friend of mine did his Ph.D on franchising systems - unsurprisingly, the branding of the franchise was a major issue).

Parts of the brand can be legally protected through things like trademarks, copyright, patents, and defamation laws. So, I believe, ceroc is a protected trademark and they have various legal remedies if people misuse that trademark. Ceroc's videos are copyrighted. In theory, ceroc would have the right to sue for libel if someone writes something untrue and defamatory about ceroc. Someone who knows the law could explain these things a lot better than I.

To my knowledge, LeRoc do not exercise the same control over the concept of 'LeRoc'. I've no idea if it's a registered trademark or not; it does sound as if they allow other organisations to use the LeRoc name. This doesn't mean that LeRoc isn't a brand; it just means that the LeRoc organisation has chosen not to exercise much control over the branding associated with that organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    .......; it just means that the LeRoc organisation has chosen not to exercise much control over the branding associated with that organisation.
    IMHO

This is were there is a lot of confusion. There is no "Leroc organisation" Many people assume there is a definate connection between everyone who teaches "Leroc". Many teachers and classes do belong to the Leroc Federation but by no means all . This means The Leroc Federation, or anyone else for that matter , cannot controll, even if it wanted to, the use of the word Leroc

If you are interested in finding out if a name is trade mark you can search here

Commercial Operator

If you are interested in finding out if a name is trade mark you can search here
    I just did a search for "Ceroc". It seems that their goods or services are as follows;

Quote Originally Posted by Trademark Registration for Ceroc
    Anal plugs, urinary drainage apparatus for use in the management of incontinence, urinary drainage bags, urinary flow monitors, urine bags, urine collection products, urine drainage bags, pelvic rests, incontinence sheets, mattress covers [incontinence], mattress pads [incontinence], mattress protectors [incontinence], mattress slips [incontinence], sheets (incontinence-), absorbent bed sheets for persons prone to incontinence, apparatus for use in the control of incontinence, articles for use by people suffering from incontinence, electronic apparatus for the prevention of incontinence, female urinary incontinence devices, incontinence sheets, medical appliances for use by persons suffering from incontinence, plastic sheeting for incontinence, sheets (incontinence- ).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

This is were there is a lot of confusion.
    You what? What an ironic sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I just did a search for "Ceroc". It seems that their goods or services are as follows;

Now you're just taking the pi55.

Thread Information