Thread: Weird UK Laws

Weird UK Laws

After a discussion on peeing in our office this morning we were looking up weird laws on peeing and others and I came upon this strange article on the BBC website and felt impelled to share:

"These laws are apparently still valid in the British legal today, having not been repealed since they became obsolete. I do not guarantee their truth. However, they may be of some use to some hitchhiker somewhere:
    Being caught short: According to British law, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants. But most importantly, she can, upon request pee in a Policeman's helmet. It is also totally legal to urinate upon the rear inside wheel of any vehicle (this apparently dates back to the days when it was considered the norm to pee on your neighbours cart.
    Taxi drivers: British taxi drivers must, by law carry a shovel and a bale of hay in the back of their hackney cab. (Again, dates back to when they all drove horses and carriages.
    Christmas: It is illegal to celebrate Christmas, it must be treated solely as a religious festival, although no-one is likely to prosecute nowadays as the last conviction was in the puritan days of Cromwell.
    Policemen: Any question a policeman asks you, you may apparently ask it back. So the correct response to "What is your name?" is; "No, what's your name?".

These are a little more concerning for our Welsh friends:

Welshmen are prohibited from entering Chester before the sun rises – and have to leave again before the sun goes down, according to an old bylaw.

Which perhaps explains the fact that it is still technically OK to shoot a Welshman on a Sunday inside the city walls – as long as it's after midnight and with a crossbow.

Oh dear that is a bit concerning for DTS as he does have a Bow and arrow

Does anyone else know any other weird laws?

Re: Weird UK Laws

Not weird as such, but I don't think this occured to anyone:

According to the Dangerous Dogs Act, a dog locked in your own car is considered to be in a 'public place' if the car is parked in a public place (ie, if someone breaks into your car and is bitten by your dog, the dog can be destroyed under the Dangerous Dogs Act). Yet your own car is not considered to be public place if you are smoking in it (the new smoking law states that it is illegal to smoke in a public place that is more than 50% enclosed).

So your car is only a public place if there's a dog in it?

Quote Originally Posted by daveb9000 View Post
    Not weird as such, but I don't think this occured to anyone:

According to the Dangerous Dogs Act, a dog locked in your own car is considered to be in a 'public place' if the car is parked in a public place (ie, if someone breaks into your car and is bitten by your dog, the dog can be destroyed under the Dangerous Dogs Act). Yet your own car is not considered to be public place if you are smoking in it (the new smoking law states that it is illegal to smoke in a public place that is more than 50% enclosed).

So your car is only a public place if there's a dog in it?
    So that must mean it is illegal to smoke in your car if you have a dog in it (quite right though). That also means it's illegal for the dog to smoke.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

theres no such thing as "British Law" though

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    These are a little more concerning for our Welsh friends:

Welshmen are prohibited from entering Chester before the sun rises – and have to leave again before the sun goes down, according to an old bylaw.

Which perhaps explains the fact that it is still technically OK to shoot a Welshman on a Sunday inside the city walls – as long as it's after midnight and with a crossbow.

Oh dear that is a bit concerning for DTS as he does have a Bow and arrow

Does anyone else know any other weird laws?

I've heard that a similar law applies to any Scottish people found within the city walls of York after dark.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After a discussion on peeing in our office
    Did you discover if it was legal to pee in your office?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    You’re right; I’d better let the BBC know

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    I've heard that a similar law applies to any Scottish people found within the city walls of York after dark.
    I read that aswell but decided as it was a Scottish forum, I’d keep quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Did you discover if it was legal to pee in your office?
    It was more about clinicians being caught short in the streets, because of the shortage of public facilities in Tower Hamlets. Government cuts haven’t hit us that badly yet; we still have toilets.

Blog Entries

a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants. But most importantly, she can, upon request pee in a Policeman's helmet.
    You've just reminded me of a time when I got pulled over for speeding at the top of my road, I was heavily pregnant and I said to the policeman, "I'm REALLY REALLY sorry!!!!! but my house is 1 minute down the road and I'm asolutely desperate for a wee, you either let me go or I will have to pee right here, NOW and I'm not joking!

He let me off and now I've just realised, he might have thought I was about to ask him for his helmet!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

he might have thought I was about to ask him for his helmet!
    Must resist, must resist.....

There is some law, I forget the exact wording, but something about catching skate and to do with their genitals because they resemble human 'parts.'

And I believe that in Scotland property tax cannot be charged on a property that is not on land i.e. a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    There is some law, I forget the exact wording, but something about catching skate and to do with their genitals because they resemble human 'parts.'
    In Judaism it is forbidden to eat skate for that reason

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    No one's biting Nik...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    I found this intriguing, so I googled it and came across this article, which I think is quite interesting reading

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/s...e-1618557.html

[QUOTE=Maxine;578009]After a discussion on peeing in our office this morning we were looking up weird laws on peeing and others and I came upon this strange article on the BBC website and felt impelled to share:

Blimey, I read this quickly and thought it said 'laws on peeing on others'. I had an ex boyfriend who liked that sort of thing.

You must be really hard pushed in your office to be able to indulge in conversations about peeing lol.
    Last edited by straight girl; 5th-August-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by straight girl View Post

You must be really hard pushed in your office to be able to indulge in conversations about peeing lol.
    We take these things very seriously in the NHS

You've just reminded me of a time when I got pulled over for speeding at the top of my road, I was heavily pregnant and I said to the policeman, "I'm REALLY REALLY sorry!!!!! but my house is 1 minute down the road and I'm asolutely desperate for a wee, you either let me go or I will have to pee right here, NOW and I'm not joking!

He let me off and now I've just realised, he might have thought I was about to ask him for his helmet!
    I take it you weren't offered one of these:

http://www.shewee.com/newstore/pages/How-to-Shewee.html

Cambridgeshire police have been considering supplying them to its WPCs:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-2045592.html

Thread Information