Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zumba

Re: Zumba

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    But I wonder what the point is of going to a dance exercise class when one dances every week anyway (perhaps more than once), isn't that exercise already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Well having seen the clip, I don't get that much exercise when I go to Lindy Hop classes, never mind MJ.
    Totally agree with Gav here.

In my 20's I went to a lot of high impact aerobic classes, but all that jumping around used to kill my boobs, so I moved on to high impact step aerobics, but I busted my ankle doing that. Zumba, for me, looks like the perfect answer….it’s still high impact, but it looks more like foot work than actually jogging up and down on the spot whilst doing arm exercises, which I simply can’t do anymore. One whole hour of Zumba will definitely burn up more calories than a beginners class, a few freestyle dances and a bit of gossip at MJ.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    We're going to one in Goffs School, Waltham Cross on Monday night.
    Blimey, Goffs School's not in Waltham Cross. It's between Cheshunt and Goffs Oak.

I can say this with some authority, having attended the place for 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Blimey, Goffs School's not in Waltham Cross. It's between Cheshunt and Goffs Oak.
    So, anyway...I went to Zumba at Goffs School in Cheshunt tonight.

I'd never heard of Zumba until last week...it seems I was the last person in Essex to hear about it as the class was packed! I reckon there were at least 100 women there tonight and we were urged to get there early as they were turning people away last week.

There's a good reason it's so busy...It's absolutely brilliant and I loved every minute of it. After 20 minutes I was dripping sweat...after an hour I was buzzing and it felt like only 5 minutes ago that we'd started.

It's fast, high energy, high impact exercise and dancing. You've got to concentrate and work hard...a few ladies dropped out because it was just too fast for them but you can take it down a pace or two if you're struggling.

I'd recommend it to anyone aged between 16 and 60 with a reasonable fitness level who doesn't mind dancing like there's no one else in the room, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

There's a good reason it's so busy...It's absolutely brilliant and I loved every minute of it. After 20 minutes I was dripping sweat...after an hour I was buzzing and it felt like only 5 minutes ago that we'd started.

It's fast, high energy, high impact exercise and dancing. You've got to concentrate and work hard...a few ladies dropped out because it was just too fast for them but you can take it down a pace or two if you're struggling.

I'd recommend it to anyone aged between 16 and 60 with a reasonable fitness level who doesn't mind dancing like there's no one else in the room, if you know what I mean.

I definitely want to give this a try; if I survive next weekend’s dance extravaganza I’ll be there.

Blog Entries

Glad you enjoyed it!

My better half went to her first Zumba class last night and came home raving about it.

You have made me curious...going to try my first zumba class on Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by Welshy View Post
    You have made me curious...going to try my first zumba class on Tuesday
    I'm going again tonight at Wolsey Hall in Cheshunt. Twice in 1 week!! I'm lovin' it!!

Tell us about it when you go.

I was curious too and went to my first class tonight in Dundee and it was absolutely buzzin' ! It certainly is a workout in disguise. Laugh a minute, great fun and sweated buckets and just feel alive ! Great routines, easy to do and great music.

So busy I heard they had to turn about 50 away and this was a HUGE venue.

I want to go again..... NOW !

And there was one man there as well. Some may know him..... Ian from Perth.

More men should try it if you wish to keep fit and be surrounded by over 200 women ! You may even find yourself a dance partner !

I tried a class a few weeks ago. Peaches was the instructor and she did a great job, though I'm sure I made her a little more nervous than usual. This was a small venue and it was packed, she's now running several classes each week and I'm going to go along again tonight.

There really is a huge variety of women there and each and every one seemed to be 'lovin it'. Many had clearly not been used to exercising at all but everyone seemed to be getting something from it and the whole thing must be good as its getting people off their butts and burning calories.

I'm off again tonight and yes I am the only man in the class but hey ho that's not going to put me off.

John Lusby has just finished his instructors course and I believe he is starting classes soon, so there at least I know I'll not be the only man in the hall.

Hey Tiger,

Was the class in Dundee you attended ? Whereabouts ?

Just been to my second class in Dundee tonight. It's a breathe of fresh air !

Trouble is at the moment the classes I have heard about are generally busy with little room to move. I know the teacher from my classes is now restricting numbers for safety reasons but at least she has very large venues.

I think Zumba will find it hard to attract males though. My better half took one look and buried his head back in his golf magazine. Alot of the arms movements are a bit girly but guys dont have to do them I suppose.

I went to my first class last night and as soon as it had finished I raced home to shower and made it to the intermediate lesson/freestyle part of my ceroc class (obsessed...me?...never!!! )

I was a bit disappointed after watching videos of it and reading your reviews. I was hot and sweaty but mainly because it was hot outside. I was hoping for a real cardio workout and it didn't really do that for me. We stopped after every song (did others do this?) and they were no longer than your average ceroc track.

I enjoyed doing it though and did wonder whether I would be able to make it harder for myself once I'm more familiar with the moves. The teacher suggests getting lower into the moves and using arms more for this.

From looking at the Zumba website it seems to be relatively easy to train for this and so I think maybe the quality of the classes will vary quite a lot between teachers.

If the class didn't clash with a ceroc night I would be more likely to go regularly but as it was, it wasn't enough of a challenge for me to keep me going back for more.

I still like the idea of zumba and I may give it a second chance next week or maybe try a different venue as there are a few in my area (Wiltshire).

Quote Originally Posted by melissas View Post
    Hey Tiger,

Was the class in Dundee you attended ? Whereabouts ?
    Not Dundee, I went to the class in Blairgowrie. The class has been running for about 7 weeks now and there were a lot of familiar faces there from the first time I had gone. I must say I had noticed that one or two had lost some weight and certainly didn't seem as completely exhausted as they had the first time I was there. I did mention this to Fiona at the end of the class and she told me that one woman in the class, who was going to classes several times a week had lost 2 stone, so obvious benefits there.

We stopped after every song (did others do this?) .........
    The first time I went they certainly stopped after every track, but last night there was no stopping at all, people were just grabbing towels and a quick drink in the seconds between tracks. I think the instructors have to work slowly to begin with and then build up to more challenging routines as the weeks go on and levels of fitness increase.
    I enjoyed doing it though and did wonder whether I would be able to make it harder for myself once I'm more familiar with the moves. The teacher suggests getting lower into the moves and using arms more for this.
    I think that's probably why its so popular just now, you really get something from it no matter what your level of fitness and its certainly possibly to stretch yourself more than the average joe if you are already quite fit. I noticed that most of last nights class were familiar with the sequence of moves in some of the tracks as some were at times two or three steps in front of the instructor ..... some things never change, eh?

Again. I really enjoyed the class, its fun and as before I was the only man. It probably is something that's going to remain mainly a girlie thing but I didn't think that the arm movements made it particularily effeminate (though that might just be me) but given that it is so much fun I'd urge any man to give it a bash, or do what the women do and go with a friend, your sure to cause a stir.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post

Again. I really enjoyed the class, its fun and as before I was the only man. It probably is something that's going to remain mainly a girlie thing but I didn't think that the arm movements made it particularily effeminate (though that might just be me) but given that it is so much fun I'd urge any man to give it a bash, or do what the women do and go with a friend, your sure to cause a stir.
    Was great to see you at my class last night, you do cause a wee bit of a stir, requests for you to move nearer the front please, everyone wants a bit of your hip action!
    Thanks for helping me out too.

Went to my first class last night and totally loved it.

Was wearing a calorie monitor and managed to burn about 400 cals in 1 hour.

For those who have done Zumba classes in Glasgow (firefly, Isis, others?) may I ask what was the Zumba organisation that you went to for weeknight classes?

I did a quick Google, there seems to be several Zumba groups that offer classes - "spoilt for choice" is what came to mind!

I went to 'Zumba with Michelle' (check out the page on Facebook).

Tuesday nights at the Steiner School, Lumsden St 7-8pm,

Wednesday at Cleveden Secondary, Cleveden Road 6-7pm and 7-8pm (says earlier times on Facebook at the mo but those were just during the summer hols)

Thread Information