Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zumba

Zumba

One of my mates has managed to persuade me to try next week. Looking at a few clips of it, it appears to be high impact dancing, but looks lots of fun. Has anyone else tried it yet? It's supposed to be the latest dance craze.

Blog Entries

Re: Zumba

I've tried it and it's the most fun I've ever had at an exercise class; I came out buzzing afterwards. I wasn't even clock watching!

The routines were a whole mix of dance styles, from line dancing to street/hip hop type stuff (technical term); at times I swear the instructor was making things up, wiggling anything/everything about and just generally being a nutter, so it's also the first time I've laughed out loud during an exercise class!

Hopefully you'll have a fab time - I've not come across anyone yet who's tried it and NOT liked it.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyWeeStar View Post
    at times I swear the instructor was making things up, wiggling anything/everything about and just generally being a nutter,
    I've done it quite a few times and its exactly as you say.... high energy dance aerobics, with lots of Woo Hoo's and as SWS said, I often feel like the instructor makes half of it up as they go along

You'll have fun!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

When I first read that I got it confused with KAZUMBA.

If you enter that into YOUTUBE search it comes up with a dance style that I came across in Portugal which I was very impressed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I've done it quite a few times and its exactly as you say.... high energy dance aerobics, with lots of Woo Hoo's and as SWS said, I often feel like the instructor makes half of it up as they go along

You'll have fun!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    One of my mates has managed to persuade me to try next week. Looking at a few clips of it, it appears to be high impact dancing, but looks lots of fun. Has anyone else tried it yet? It's supposed to be the latest dance craze.
    It's basically dancersize, rebranded.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    It's basically dancersize, rebranded.
    Looks like fun. You're welcome to join us David if you fancy shaking your wobbly bits about with me. Shall I PM you the details?

I've been doing it a couple of months. I find it great aerobic exercise, but very cheesy, with the teacher encouraging us to whoop along, and clapping after every track. As people have said, the moves are inspired by lots of different dance styles; however the emphasis is less on doing the moves "right" and more on just moving about and having fun. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like fun. You're welcome to join us David if you fancy shaking your wobbly bits about with me. Shall I PM you the details?
    Ummm, no, you're all right...

nice to read so many positive comments about Zumba, I'm waiting for classes to start after summer break.

Commercial Operator

I think there was a course to become a Zumba teacher at the last UKA conference. It sounded like loads of fun. If I'd been going I would have taken the course.

I've done a taster class, and only 5 minutes of it got my heart racing. Unfortunately there're no classes outside work time near me, and the dvd's aren't quite the same, but it's great fun - plus having danced before you'll probably find it easy to do the moves and so look like a pro after only 1 class!

I am sure it is fun (and I quite liked the clip that DT pointed to). But I wonder what the point is of going to a dance exercise class when one dances every week anyway (perhaps more than once), isn't that exercise already?

Seems to me like going to the gym so that you can get fit to go to the gym (which a lot of people do).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    I am sure it is fun (and I quite liked the clip that DT pointed to). But I wonder what the point is of going to a dance exercise class when one dances every week anyway (perhaps more than once), isn't that exercise already?
    Well having seen the clip, I don't get that much exercise when I go to Lindy Hop classes, never mind MJ.

Seems to me like going to the gym so that you can get fit to go to the gym (which a lot of people do).
    But that's down to the individual's attitude, not the content of the class.

I really fancy giving this a try, keep getting invitations on facebook for the class in Waltham Abbey. It’s just a case of fitting it all in; what do I give up

I dance between 2 and 4 times per week, on average, but definitely felt the need to improve my cardiorespiratory fitness. I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't find myself dancing every single track in a dance night. Even if I did, the tracks are of varying tempos, so my heart rate doesn't always go up a great deal through the course of the evening.

At zumba we're encouraged to move energetically to very fast tracks, almost constantly, for a whole hour. My heart rate goes up and stays up through the whole hour. As unladylike as it sounds, I sweat profusely, and easily get through a litre bottle of water during that hour.

So from my point of view, I think there's quite a lot of point in going to a dance exercise class, even though I also go dancing on a regular basis. Apart from anything else, it has improved my stamina and ability to dance very fast tracks in MJ. But (heresy alert!) dancing is not the be-all-and-end-all; I wanted to improve my fitness for the sake of my general health, and didn't feel that dancing was enough for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I really fancy giving this a try, keep getting invitations on facebook for the class in Waltham Abbey. It’s just a case of fitting it all in; what do I give up
    We're going to one in Goffs School, Waltham Cross on Monday night. If you fancy giving it a go, you're welcome to join us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't find myself dancing every single track in a dance night. Even if I did, the tracks are of varying tempos, so my heart rate doesn't always go up a great deal through the course of the evening.

At zumba we're encouraged to move energetically to very fast tracks, almost constantly, for a whole hour. My heart rate goes up and stays up through the whole hour.

So from my point of view, I think there's quite a lot of point in going to a dance exercise class
    Exactly - it's totally different and ups the anti from what your body gets used to doing at Ceroc.

We're going to one in Goffs School, Waltham Cross on Monday night. If you fancy giving it a go, you're welcome to join us.
    Ooh yes definitely – But not next week, as I’m out every night except Monday , I must have one night in

What time doe it start?

Look forward to your feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]What time doe it start
    8.15 Here's a link to the dance teachers website with details of other classes too.

Thread Information