Thread: IT Job Market - Grim Up North?

IT Job Market - Grim Up North?

I'm currently in the process of recruiting business analysts in a financial services organisation. We're expecting to do well as contractor rates are down as are permanent vacancies. However, I was amazed by the number of roles that seem to be available in London and the comparative rates. Up here I'd expect to pay no more than £300-350 per day for a decent contractor. Down South it looks like a similar contractor could charge around £500 and more? Is this just a bunch of recruiters posting false job adverts to get better class CVs on their books or can these rates really be achieved? (If so .... I think I'll start contracting again )

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: IT Job Market - Grim Up North?

That sounds about right - but it is consistent, London has always been that amount higher even in the financial good times. There is always the accomodation or travel to think about though, the rates are not that surprising.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You have to take into consideration how much more it costs to live down here. I think you'll find you wouldn't be any better off!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Those rates def can be achieved for a BA, but not very often. and don't forget that you're talking about thieving, lying, cheating agencies too. They mostly couldn't give a t0ss whether they get the best person for the job or not, just as long as they get someone the job, they get their commission.

Also, if you're getting work through agencies, you either submit your application and hope for the best, or if you want a decent chance you have to invest some time in speaking to the agency, building a relationship and making sure that they take the time to look at your application and listen to your sales pitch. If not, the chances are that your application will be overlooked with the '000s of others.

Having said that, unfortunately some of the bigger clients will only take on contractors through their recommended agencies so you have to sell your soul and apply.

I've managed to make a fair success from a similar level role in London (both through agencies and directly), including a very long, on-going contract in the finance sector, but the biggest issue at the moment is that people who would've refused to get out of bed for less than £5-600 a day are now prepared to work for the same rates that I would usually demand (slightly lower ) which makes the contracts that I bid for, much harder to get!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I've managed to make a fair success from a similar level role in London (both through agencies and directly), including a very long, on-going contract in the finance sector, but the biggest issue at the moment is that people who would've refused to get out of bed for less than £5-600 a day are now prepared to work for the same rates that I would usually demand (slightly lower ) which makes the contracts that I bid for, much harder to get!

When I was contracting as a BA, 3 years ago, my asking rate was about £400 - £450. I contracted in the West Country, Scotland & London. The market dropped & I went permie, but I keep an eye out & rates do seem to have picked up again. I think your rates sound a bit on the low side, but what have the agencies said?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

When I was contracting as a BA, 3 years ago, my asking rate was about £400 - £450. I contracted in the West Country, Scotland & London. The market dropped & I went permie, but I keep an eye out & rates do seem to have picked up again. I think your rates sound a bit on the low side, but what have the agencies said?
    The thing is that I'm not a BA, but I'm currently looking at training courses because I think I probably should be .

Blog Entries

The thing is that I'm not a BA, but I'm currently looking at training courses because I think I probably should be .
    Good plan.

BTW, I just reread my post & I've been really unclear. The bit where I said
    I think your rates sound a bit on the low side, but what have the agencies said?
    was directed to Gus! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Up here I'd expect to pay no more than £300-350 per day for a decent contractor. Down South it looks like a similar contractor could charge around £500 and more?
    Both of those rates sound pretty grim to me.

but the biggest issue at the moment is that people who would've refused to get out of bed for less than £5-600 a day are now prepared to work for the same rates that I would usually demand (slightly lower ) which makes the contracts that I bid for, much harder to get!
    Make sure you're not getting underpaid by checking this website regularly.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

gah, there are enough Business Arse's in the world

But if I can do it, you certainly can Now I am aiming to be a PM, got the certificate, and now just need a bit of practice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Now I am aiming to be PM
    Do you need a Nick Clegg? If so, gissa job! I can do that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    Both of those rates sound pretty grim to me.
    What do you do? drug dealer? Government contractor?

Now I am aiming to be a PM, got the certificate, and now just need a bit of practice.
    Well as long as you don't mind no-one you work with actually liking you, it sounds like a sensible move

Blog Entries

Premiership footballer? Jonathan Ross?

Well as long as you don't mind no-one you work with actually liking you, it sounds like a sensible move

Evidently I need to work on my humour a little more; although I was hoping that the weblink in the second comment of my original post would give away the true nature of my first comment

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Evidently I need to work on my humour a little more; although I was hoping that the weblink in the second comment of my original post would give away the true nature of my first comment
    yeah, some of us got the joke Gav is already a typical BA, missing the important details

Blog Entries

yeah, some of us got the joke Gav is already a typical BA, missing the important details
    What's a BA?

Blog Entries

I'm glad it was meant as humour. I checked the link, but I wasn't sure whether it was meant to be a dig, or even if you'd misread the rates. I thought Gav's response was an elegant way of avoiding the ambiguity.

Hmmm typical PM ... doesn't do any work except blaming the BA

Interesting comments so far. Re the N West, with the three major banks all cutting back on contractors, the simple fact is that rates should drop to sensible levels ... as long as HBOS stop recruiting them to sit on their hands!!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

What's a BA?
    Mr.T. Although not in the new film. The crazy fools.

Thread Information