Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planet Facebook hits 500million

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Planet Facebook hits 500million

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Just to continue the 'Vaguebooking' theme. There is a FB site dedicated to it http://www.facebook.com/pages/Facebo...489?ref=search which is mildly amusing.

Specifically, it is defined as: "Vaguebooking - An intentionally vague Facebook status update, that prompts friends to ask what's going on, or is possibly a cry for help. ".

It doesn't always work - as per this example:

Facebook friend posted this: "please exit my mind... thankk youuu " One of her friends posted this: "?????" and then that person went on to say it was none of his business.

Other classics on this site are:

"Ugh... Not good. Don't know what to do."

"woke up to a most disturbing shock this morning. No one will ever guess . . ."

"This is the worst anything, ever."

"Is very happy!!!" (Same person a couple posts ago but now 3 exclamation points)

"is totally exhausted, but it was worth it! I hope."
    Sounds like the "What made you smile / frown" threads...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    but that's the great thing about Facebook (IMO), if someone irritates you, they get culled.

I wish 'friends' who have dance 'businesses' would create separate personal accounts. As I don't really want to cull some of them, as I like them as 'people', but I don't appreciate the spam advertising!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    I’ve done a blocking of certain people’s postings so you don’t see what they write, it’s a kinder way of culling, because to all intent and purpose you’ve culled them – only they don’t know.
    Yes, I've blocked certain peoples notifications, as it used to take me half an hour just to wade through their crap!

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Sounds like the "What made you smile / frown" threads...
    Argh, I'm paranoid now ... I'm going to look at my last posts!

Although, if something does make me laugh or frown, I 'think/hope' I usually explain what.. cos I can't see the point otherwise

Unless of course someone's simply using the facility as a way of sending messages to ONE person in particular and hoping in the process, everyone else reading is putting two and two together, which will in turn, give added impact to the message! ... OOOh its deep you know!

What intrigues me is, do they think we don't know what the game is.. or are they fully aware and post intentionally?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Unless of course someone's simply using the facility as a way of sending messages to ONE person in particular and hoping in the process, everyone else reading is putting two and two together, which will in turn, give added impact to the message! ... OOOh its deep you know!

What intrigues me is, do they think we don't know what the game is.. or are they fully aware and post intentionally?
    P.s. added thought........ maybe its just that I'm super intelligent
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Well, yeah. Exactly.

I mean, we all know what this stuff is about; why do people feel the need to broadcast "Oooh, I've recently acquired / argued with / lost my boy/girlfriend, I'll be all mysterious about it" messages?

P.s. added thought........ maybe its just that I'm super intelligent
    Ummm, maybe...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    One example, is what is referred to as 'vaguebooking'. This is where someone will post something on their status which is deliberately vague, prompting others to ask "what's up?" or "what do you mean?".
    I've just seen the best example of Vaguebooking by one of my 'friends'

Status = Oh oh oh :-((

Friends reply = Oh what's up hun
    = What's happened

The reply = I can't tell you, its personal :-(

Status = Oh oh oh :-((
    Maybe they were just quoting lyrics from 'She Said'?

One of the oddest things I find on FB now is people who use the Places functionality and 'Check In' at their home address thus broadcasting where they live to all their FB 'friends' (or further dependent on their privacy settings)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    One of the oddest things I find on FB now is people who use the Places functionality and 'Check In' at their home address thus broadcasting where they live to all their FB 'friends' (or further dependent on their privacy settings)
    My sister has only just joined FB and she really made me laugh the other day. She takes he little ones to dance classes near and while waiting, she sometimes goes to the hotel next door for coffee.

When she went to the school the next day, 2 of the mothers asked her what she was doing checking into a 'hotel' in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday?

Thankfully she was with my parents at the time!

Yes, I've blocked certain peoples notifications, as it used to take me half an hour just to wade through their crap!

Blocking 'friends' status messages is far better....says the Man who randomly writes crap in his FB status pages

The sort of post that I find most...um...remarkable are the ragingly fatuous platitude posts. You know, the ones that sound like somebody found them in a bad greetings card.

'Remember the friens of yesterday for the friends of tomorrow aren't here yet'

or

'Life can be sunshine and flowers or it can be rain and cloud; enjoy the sunshine and flowers while they last so you can remember them when it is rain and cloud.'

It takes every ounce of self-control I possess not to respond with sarcasm and cutting wit. Well, sarcasm and cutting, anyway.

Blog Entries

I think we are all guilty initially of doing these silly random things. Even now, sometimes if im in the mood i will write something romantic to my husband, in code that only he understands, knowing that others will want to know what it means or take guesses at it.

Its all part of the fun.

It can, on the other hand, be irritating when you see other people doing things. Love messages that are sickening, stupid quotes, etc but i think thats more to do with the fact that they are either always doing it or you just find them annoying generally.

block em... thats the key, then your day is so much nicer.

Mind you, i cant get it on it much these days which when it first happened was horrible but now im glad.

Facebook is, at the end of the day, mostly Chav city or free advertising aside from all of my friends that is. !!

I really hate vaguebooking or attention seeking as I prefer to call it.

Or as BS has brought up all these inspirational quotes (yuck)

Too many of these and I’m horrible; they either get their status blocked or I de friend them. I know I mean but I want to be amused by my friends not made to want to vomit

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Even now, sometimes if im in the mood i will write something romantic to my husband, in code that only he understands, knowing that others will want to know what it means or take guesses at it.
    I can't speak for all of your friends, obviously, but I personally have no interest in any vague or coded messages that are aimed at one specific person. You don't do it all the time but facebook friends that constantly write vague or personalised messages get culled, or if I'm feeling diplomatic I'll remove their status updates so I don't have to read them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    You don't do it all the time but facebook friends that constantly write vague or personalised messages get culled
    Pah, I'm still in pain from that.

Blog Entries

I can't speak for all of your friends, obviously, but I personally have no interest in any vague or coded messages that are aimed at one specific person. You don't do it all the time but facebook friends that constantly write vague or personalised messages get culled, or if I'm feeling diplomatic I'll remove their status updates so I don't have to read them.
    M.F.U.R

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    M.F.U.R
    Most Fanciable Underrated Relative?

Facebook has gone mental.

This morning I actually thought I'd logged on as someone else because I could see and comment on if I wanted to, loads of status updates and photo's of folk who are not on my friends list.

On further investigation I realised that if any of my friends comment on any of their friends stuff, it comes up on my page!! As if there isn't enough crap for me to read though every day! Total strangers status's and photo's there for me to see, it's just wrong and really irritating.

My privacy settings have everything set to "Friends only", I wish everyone else would do the same.

This morning I actually thought I'd logged on as someone else because I could see and comment on if I wanted to, loads of status updates and photo's of folk who are not on my friends list.

On further investigation I realised that if any of my friends comment on any of their friends stuff, it comes up on my page!! As if there isn't enough crap for me to read though every day! Total strangers status's and photo's there for me to see, it's just wrong and really irritating.

My privacy settings have everything set to "Friends only", I wish everyone else would do the same.

I don't understand why people would not set their settings to friends only - Why allow complete strangers to see your information/photographs/email address etc

Thank you so much for the Help this morning and I owe you a

Thread Information