Thread: Dancing near Waterlooville next week ?

Dancing near Waterlooville next week ?

I have plans to stay “Chez Maman” in Waterlooville, Hants next week and, after spending some quality mother/daughter bonding time during the daytime, I also hope to get out for a couple of dancing fixes while I am down there.

It seems that there are plenty of options for me to choose from – so any advice or recommendations (biased or otherwise !) would be most welcome.

Tuesday choices would appear to be
    a) Waterlooville (on the doorstep – I can walk there, but I have never heard of the organiser Roc-it – ???)
    b) Hayling Island - LeRoc
    c) Chichester - Ceroc

Thursday choices are
    a) Waterlooville – LeRoc
    b) Horndean - Ceroc

I could also plump for one of Jiveasy’s nights at Portchester on Monday or Fishbourne on Wednesday (another organiser I haven’t heard of before), or even Borden (Roc-it) on Monday. Sadly I have discounted, Andover - Marmite Mix as just a little bit too far to schlep.

Suggestions anyone, for where I might receive a warm-ish welcome and a couple of nice dances ?

Re: Dancing near Waterlooville next week ?

Good for freestyles in the area:
    http://www.southernjive.co.uk/calendar.php

Good for classes in the area:
    http://www.jiveclasses.co.uk/

Good for getting the odd opinion:
    http://www.southernjive.co.uk/forum/

After the last thread am I allowed to give an opinion

Will anyway !

Ceroc became Mo'jive and then back to Ceroc again - but they still have IMO the best following - with regard to the more experienced dancer the smaller organisers in that area dont really have much of a 'week day' following.

If you can handle about a 30 min journey - Wednesday in Worthing Assembly Rooms is a fairly decent night - Mr & Mrs Under Par go there quite often - and Sharon needs her dancing fix.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

OR ........... if you fancy something different, there is a very good swing (Lindy) class in Chichester on a Thursday, most are Moderrn Jive converts so they often dance Modern jive in the freestyle part - and their MJ is good

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Thanks TAGuy - I trawled through loads of threads on the Southernjive forum but didn't find many reviews of these particular classnights.

Minnie - I suspected that that might be the case. If I have the energy I will bear Worthing in mind !
    Last edited by sunnybunny; 14th-July-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: too many that's

Chichester is a new venue that has only been going a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    Chichester is a new venue that has only been going a few weeks.
    Is that the Swing Dance Co class - or a MJ one ?

--ooOoo--

I believe it is MJ - Ceroc I think.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybunny View Post
    Thanks TAGuy - I trawled through loads of threads on the Southernjive forum but didn't find many reviews of these particular classnights.
    Actually, that should tell you something, these classes don't have the sort of dancers who post on forums! Is that good or bad do you think ?

Chichester is Ceroc Fever. I've heard good things, but never been and it is a fairly new venue.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    .....Chichester is Ceroc Fever. I've heard good things, but never been and it is a fairly new venue.
    Just remembered Ceroc Fever have classes as follows, and Chichester is a new one. Not been myself, but Ceroc have set up a good following, so should be OK

(Didn't realise they had THREE venues in Horndean though)

• Bournemouth
    • Bramshaw
    • Brighton
    • Chichester - Assembly Rooms
    • Eastleigh - Hiltingbury Community Centre
    • Horndean - Barton Hall
    • Horndean - Merchistoun Hall
    • Horndean - Napier Hall
    • Minstead
    • Poole - The Hamworthy Club
    • Salisbury Wilton
    • Verwood

--ooOoo--

Commercial Operator

Sorry sunnybunny, I've only just seen this...ahem...I DJ on a Tuesday night at Waterlooville, so I can't pretend to be particularly objective, but it depends on what you look for in a MJ night. (The music is fab on a Tuesday night )
    If you care to PM me, I can give you a bit more info.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Andy View Post
    Sorry sunnybunny, I've only just seen this...ahem...I DJ on a Tuesday night at Waterlooville, so I can't pretend to be particularly objective, but it depends on what you look for in a MJ night. (The music is fab on a Tuesday night )
    If you care to PM me, I can give you a bit more info.
    Andy is the best DJ in the area, in fact I would say on the south coast and also a fabby dancer - got to be a winner !

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Andy is the best DJ in the area, in fact I would say on the south coast and also a fabby dancer - got to be a winner !

Well, with such a ringing endorsement from Minnie (whose judgement I trust, implicitly) - it looks as if one evening is sorted !

See you on Tuesday Andy - no pressure then !

Oh, one more titbit, Ceroc Fever at Barton Hall is worth a thought on a Thursday. Night with a big buzz. That's just round the corner, 200+ people, good standard for a lesson night, Masterclasses once a month. This is the old Mojive night.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    Oh, one more titbit, Ceroc Fever at Barton Hall is worth a thought on a Thursday. Night with a big buzz. That's just round the corner, 200+ people, good standard for a lesson night, Masterclasses once a month. This is the old Mojive night.
    Thanks TA Guy - sounds encouraging. The week is panning out nicely

Please let us know how you get on SB, and say hi to Andy from me if you go

--ooOoo--

In answer to Minnie's request – here’s my (rather long-winded, it would appear) review of my south coast mini-break.

On Tuesday evening at Waterlooville Community Centre I received a very warm welcome from DJ Andy, the teacher and venue manager alike. My mum, who came along to see what all the fuss was about and what it was that I spent so much of my time and energy doing, was very impressed!

Mum & I ended up doing the beginners class as a fixed couple as my mum (aged 80 and a complete beginner) - and a few other beginners I suspect - found it a bit challenging to launch straight into a windmill from a standing start without any preamble, in and outs or arm-jiving to pick up the beat at all. I am pleased to report that by the end we had “nailed it” and I subsequently managed to successfully lead her through a few more dances during the evening.

For the intermediate class I danced as a lead to help balance things out a bit, and really enjoyed meeting all the ladies – who were very nice and complimentary (“you are the best man in the class” etc etc !). The class had some nice moves - the last one which involved a special signal, and the man subsequently gripping the follow's lower leg between his knees and both dancers then leaning back counter-balancing each other was fun – although, judging from some of the comments from the ladies – not all the chaps were quite getting it.

This is a very friendly class – and I was particularly pleased that several people took the time to chat to my mum and make her feel really welcome as she sat and watched.

My highlights of the evening were some lovely dances with charming DJ Andy. I will definitely go back when I am next down that way.

Equally, I would also return to Ceroc Fever’s class night at Horndean on a Thursday. This was a very different kettle of fish to Tuesday evening. Here, the Ceroc machine was in full flow - doing what it does, particularly well. Barton Hall is a huge state-of-the-art venue with loads of dancers. Again, most people were very friendly and the guys were very pleasant with lots of hellos and how are you?’s as I rotated round for the beginners and intermediates classes.

Throughout the night a huge screen up behind the stage showed slides with all sorts of announcements and information and one slide that I was particularly pleased to see, was one that announced that they discouraged fixed couples in classes. (Not sure exactly how it was worded, but it did get the message across very well).

There was a much wider age range here – and on the whole a better standard of dancer than on Tuesday and I had some nice dances with several rather charming partners. I did see a bit of hotshottery going on though. What is it with men of a certain age (over 55) and usually a certain stature (under 5’5”) that have to throw their partners with a certain skirt length (very short) around so enthusiastically, forcing them into one badly executed drop after another ? Never mind any musical interpretation – from where I was standing, it just looked like there were flailing limbs everywhere.

I did also have a couple of bonus dances from a familiar face – Riaz (not sure if he is on the forum or not) who was working in the area and had brought along a couple of ex-ballroom dancing friends to give Ceroc a try.

I think that Tuesday evening definitely had the edge music-wise. Andy played a wide variety of music – and while I did not expect to like every track, at least they were good tracks to dance to. There were a few odd choices at Horndean that I didn’t think were particularly danceable.

I did find one thing interesting and a bit disconcerting - at both venues. This was the lack of moving side to side, or marking time to the music in the classes as the teacher counts in “5, 6, 7, 8”. I have always been used to stepping or pulsing my arm slightly in time to the music before starting a move (semi-circle step back anyone ? - still alive and well in Horndean). At both these venues, the vast majority of the couples stood stock still, literally rooted to the spot up until the count of 8, then would suddenly burst into life on the first beat of the move. Weird.

In answer to Minnie's request...

My highlights of the evening were some lovely dances with charming DJ Andy. ..
    Thought you might I love dancing with Andy, his Lindy is fab too

..........(Ceroc Fever / Horndean) ......and on the whole a better standard of dancer than on Tuesday and I had some nice dances with several rather charming partners.
    Thought that might be the case

Thanks for the review SB - might pop down that way myself sometime

--ooOoo--

Commercial Operator

Thank you sunnybunny for your lovely comments - you are most kind.
    And at the risk of coming over all luvvie-ish, you're a fab dancer yourself!

I will pass on your constructive comments from your last paragraph, to the venue teacher, thanks.

Thread Information