Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DJs having a laugh

Commercial Operator

Re: DJs having a laugh

Hmm...reading through the above posts makes me wonder if it's worth giving a play to Middle Of The Road's 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep'...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I have observed a phenomenon recently where the WCS dancers seem to bombard the MJDJ with requests for slower WCSable music. As most people don't make requests the DJ then plays more from the slow list.

I agree with Bubble that the MJDJ should be playing a wide variety of music. And I also agree that they shouldn't worry about playing music for WCS. However, you have to remember to play music for all the MJ dancers in the room - that includes the people who also dance WCS.
    Andy
    I wouldn't have thought that your Freestyles would be getting so many dancers wanting to practice their WCS that you would be BOMBARDED with requests for slower music.

As a member of the forum that dances at MJ events aswell as WCS events, I feel that the vast majority of WCS dancers would and will be able to dance to quite alot of the faster MJ tunes with a few exceptions.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Errrm I quite like the Bodyrockers version also.

Clearly there's no hope for me
    I like it as well. It does have breaks and musical variety in there.
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    But if you just want to make the point that Lindy has a far greater effective BPM range, feel free; as a MJ dancer,the range for Lindy is something I find pretty amazing myself. Although on a MJ forum, I do find myself thinking "yeah, whatever, go back to your Lindy forum" after a certain amount of repetition of the point].
    Well - I might make that point (it impresses me also), but a couple of points on that - firstly the Lindy speed range is pretty dependent on where you are. Some venues don't venture far outside the MJ range of speeds, while some play a huge range, so you have the same 'what people are used to' issue as with MJ. Also, it's comparing chalk and cheese - a lot of the basics of Lindy are geared to allow you to move fast - less so with MJ. The one I do the comparisons with is WCS - as that's an obvious offshoot of Lindy, I really can't see why it has the perceived speed cap that it does.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Andy
    I wouldn't have thought that your Freestyles would be getting so many dancers wanting to practice their WCS that you would be BOMBARDED with requests for slower music.
    That's how it feels when the same person comes up for the 5th or 6th time requesting little known tracks at the slow end of the spectrum and offering you tracks recorded on their phone whilst insinuating that you're rubbish because you don't have them on your PC.

Of course I don't play those tracks because I can't be sure they're legal copies.
    As a member of the forum that dances at MJ events aswell as WCS events, I feel that the vast majority of WCS dancers would and will be able to dance to quite alot of the faster MJ tunes with a few exceptions.
    I agree with this. I've no objection to people doing different dances so long as they do so in safety. But I think an MJ night should cater for people who want to dance MJ all night. If people want to dance other dances they really do need to bear that in mind and fit in with the music that being played for MJ - most of them do but there's the odd one or two who expect you to change what you play to accomodate dances other than MJ - that applies equally to AT as well as WCS.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Andy View Post
    Hmm...reading through the above posts makes me wonder if it's worth giving a play to Middle Of The Road's 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep'...
    I was thinking of "Son of my Father" by Chicory Tip

Blog Entries

I think an MJ night should cater for people who want to dance MJ all night. If people want to dance other dances they really do need to bear that in mind and fit in with the music that being played for MJ - most of them do but there's the odd one or two who expect you to change what you play to accomodate dances other than MJ - that applies equally to AT as well as WCS.
    I agree and whilst I'll occasionally request something with a bit of swing so I can have a quick Lindy Hop, I'd only ask for something that I know is acceptable for MJ; so I probably won't be requesting Bugle Call Rag at 230 BPM .

I agree with this. I've no objection to people doing different dances so long as they do so in safety. But I think an MJ night should cater for people who want to dance MJ all night. If people want to dance other dances they really do need to bear that in mind and fit in with the music that being played for MJ - most of them do but there's the odd one or two who expect you to change what you play to accomodate dances other than MJ - that applies equally to AT as well as WCS.
    But there are so many tracks that comfortably sit in both camps that allow MJ and WCS dancers to have lots of fun.

All I would say is keep your mind open you might be missing some real gems on the music front

Commercial Operator

But there are so many tracks that comfortably sit in both camps that allow MJ and WCS dancers to have lots of fun.

All I would say is keep your mind open you might be missing some real gems on the music front
    I'm fully aware of this and do my best not to miss any gems. However, what I'm saying is that a DJ who lets one or two people unduly influence the mix of tracks played to a whole room of people isn't really doing his job. And, in my experience, there are a few people who want to dance other dances who try to exert that undue influence. If you succumb to that influence you end up playing for the minority rather than the majority.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    so I probably won't be requesting Bugle Call Rag at 230 BPM .
    Spoilsport

Quote Originally Posted by straight girl View Post
    Maybe he gets them to sign over their assets beforehand, yes have seen similar in local venues. but personally, would have to be assured that it was safe to go back into the room after hearing Shaking Stevens crooning 'The green door'
    I have to smile at this. Personally, having never been exposed to Shakin' Stevens a great deal in the past, and being a lover of all things cheesy in general, I have no scruples about playing SS at a MJ night once in a while, and by all means I get the occasional quizzical look or comment, but when a floor packs out to the song I can only assume it's either because (a) People are that desperate for a dance or (b) There are quite a lot of people who actually like the song enough to enjoy a dance to it.

But then, some people are just prone to disliking cheesy, mass-consumed, overplayed 'trash'. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and I can fully empathise if you've been subjected to Shakin' Stevens more than enough times to fill your quota for life and beyond. Me, I'm a simple person who pleases easily on sugar-coated pop/rock.

I personally get tired of DJs who endlessly fill the night with Freemasons/David Guetta/Bimbo Jones/Moto Blanco/etc. remixes/dance tunes that no-one's actually heard of unless they're nightclubbers or just generally into that genre. Don't get me wrong - I know get played because they are extremely beginner-friendly. But 1 or 2 in an evening is enough, thanks!! There are so many well-known mainstream tracks that are just as beginner friendly and won't thump-thump-thump your dancers into agonising boredom.

If I fancy putting a giggly smile (read: embarrassed laugh) on some people's faces, then out comes the Eurovision stuff.
    Last edited by DJ Mike; 14th-July-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Mike View Post
    I have no scruples about playing SS at a MJ night once in a while, and by all means I get the occasional quizzical look or comment, but when a floor packs out to the song I can only assume it's either because (a) People are that desperate for a dance or (b) There are quite a lot of people who actually like the song enough to enjoy a dance to it.
    I went to Just Jivin’ last night and made a note of the first hours play-list. Mick, the DJ, didn’t disappoint with his predictable cheesy choices although he did play Paolo Nutini during “Strolly-wolly” time.

The six songs below have been played every Tuesday for as long as I can remember. They’re so familiar to me that if I hear them on the radio, it instantly reminds me of Just Jivin’ on a Tuesday.

That don’t impress me much – Shania Twain
    Lucile – Little Richard
    Two Times – Ann Lee
    Holiday – Madonna
    You Drive me Crazy – Shakin’ Stevens (Shaky always gets a look-in on a Tuesday)
    Just the way you look tonight – Frank Sinatra (love this one)

Predictable? Yes...cheesy? Yes, but I prefer his stuff the standard Ceroc techno trash.

You see, the 6 you list there are fine by my book. My thing with cheesy stuff is not to play the *same* cheesy song too often. There's far too many out there to annoy people with the same track week-in week-out.

I'll presume when you say "techno trash" you're referring to exactly to the "Freemasons" etc. stuff I mentioned in my previous post. Maybe this is something quite specific to Ceroc, but as a new (well 6 months old now) Ceroc DJ, I've made it my mission NOT to go down that route. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Andy View Post
    I was thinking of "Son of my Father" by Chicory Tip
    Or how about Hot Butter's 'Popcorn'?

Thinking about it, maybe there is an opportunity for someone to create a synth based night (just like CJ did with guitars). Especially as 'Son of my father' featured a synth (or was it a stylophone?).

Methinks there is a dearth of 1980s synth music played at Ceroc/MJ.

Maybe Oxygene 4 by Jean Michel Jarre?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Lucile – Little Richard
    Two Times – Ann Lee
    You Drive me Crazy – Shakin’ Stevens (Shaky always gets a look-in on a Tuesday)

Although I've played, possibly overplayed, the other 3 tracks, I've never played these 3 tracks. Not once!

That will be corrected tonight

This has got me thinking. If there's cheese out there that I'm not playing I need to hear about it.

So I've started a thread here.

Thread Information