Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DJs having a laugh

Re: DJs having a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    MJ really has slowed down so much? Candyman's what - around 175bpm?) Back when I were a lad.... songs like Hanky Panky, Touch & Go's Would You? (both around 170ish), Mr Zoot Suit (more like 180) and so on were playing pretty frequently.
    Actually, I don't find Candyman's too difficult to dance to, and although they were played more back in the day, Hanky Panky, Zoot Suit and Would You were still pretty fast for the typical MJ dancer. I suspect they were often slowed down; back in something like 2002 I remember a Ceroc DJ saying this was normal policy and said "just for a laugh, I'll do Mambo #5 without slowing it down". I can testify that it was much faster than it was normally played, and very very few people were able to keep up with it.

It's interesting how much difference phrasing (or not) makes as well. I remember chatting to Nigel about the tracks for JiveMasters, and he was astonished that Tequila was at the higher end of the speeds - it's so strongly phrased that you almost get a couple of beats to rest at the end of each phrase, so even at almost 180bpm, it's quite easy to dance to. On the other hand, I'm So Excited at 184bpm, 4-to-the-floor, is really really tough to MJ to.

I believe there is nothing in inherent MJ which stops one dancing comfortably at those speeds. Would it be true to say that people are no longer used to dancing fast?
    I think a lot of it is due to the Westification of MJ (*); dancing at 170bpm is a lot harder if you are keeping to a slot and anchoring at the ends. A lot of it is that people don't do it much either, and don't know how to adjust their technique.

[But if you just want to make the point that Lindy has a far greater effective BPM range, feel free; as a MJ dancer,the range for Lindy is something I find pretty amazing myself. Although on a MJ forum, I do find myself thinking "yeah, whatever, go back to your Lindy forum" after a certain amount of repetition of the point].

(*) I actually think MJ would have moved in the direction it has without WCS as well. But as shorthand, Westification works for me.

With regards to Candy Man - yes you can dance to it, but you need a lead who knows what he's doing. Personally I'd throw in some Lindy or 6 count to smooth it out a bit. Unfortunately, as a follow, it's a bloody nightmare when you get a lead who wants to do 300 beginner to advanced moves during Candy Man and you end up on your arse, with a twisted arm or a knackered back (or all three).

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    With regards to Candy Man - yes you can dance to it, but you need a lead who knows what he's doing. Personally I'd throw in some Lindy or 6 count to smooth it out a bit. Unfortunately, as a follow, it's a bloody nightmare when you get a lead who wants to do 300 beginner to advanced moves during Candy Man and you end up on your arse, with a twisted arm or a knackered back (or all three).
    I find one of the biggest problems with such tracks, isn't the tracks themselves, but that people get over excited and expend far too much energy.

For me, the faster the track, the simpler the dance.

Excellent, there's nothing quite like a discussion on music to polarise opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I understand TheTramp finds that jive classic "the Mavericks- dance the night away" to be GBH
    Well that makes at least two of us

Quote Originally Posted by straight girl View Post
    Blimey, thought I was opinionated. Just to test your theory, where would something like, as an example 'I like the way you move' by Outkast appear on the crapometer of good music ?
    Until I checked it out on Youtube, I initially assumed you were talking about this:

Which used to get played quite a lot, and had me running for cover everytime it came on

Is this the track being discussed?

The fade out at the end is a bit of an anti-climax, but perhaps the real version has a 'proper ending'. I'd give it a crapometer rating of 2 (where 0 is 'it stinks' and 5 is 'play it loud and often')

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    MJ really has slowed down so much? Candyman's what - around 175bpm?) Back when I were a lad.... songs like Hanky Panky, Touch & Go's Would You? (both around 170ish), Mr Zoot Suit (more like 180) and so on were playing pretty frequently.

I believe there is nothing in inherent MJ which stops one dancing comfortably at those speeds. Would it be true to say that people are no longer used to dancing fast?
    Several of the venues I used to attend years ago played Hanky Panky, and Would You. Really fast music seems to have almost disappeared from many playlists. A few years back I regularly danced MJ at a Rock and Roll night, which is great practice for dancing fast. It's a skill, but not one that's currently in fashion, look at the number of workshops for 'Blues', compared to the number for 'Coping with Fast Music'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    You really should try JustJivin' in Herts/Essex.
    Mick the DJ plays nothing but cheese for most of the night*!

*I haven't been for a couple of years, but I can't imagine he's changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    Mind you there is Camembert, Brie, Rocquefort, Blue Stilton and then there is Dairylea
    I wonder which variety of cheese Barry White is? I've always enyoyed dancing to You're my First, my Last, My Everything. I think it has nice structure and lots of lovely little mini-breaks.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I actually think MJ would have moved in the direction it has without WCS as well. But as shorthand, Westification works for me.
    If WCS *is* influencing MJ playlists then perhaps it's time for a greater separation of the two dances. I think MJ freestyles should be about playing a wide variety of music for MJ without worrying about what the Westies need or want.

Quote Originally Posted by alinp View Post
    I find one of the biggest problems with such tracks, isn't the tracks themselves, but that people get over excited and expend far too much energy.

A lot of the faster tracks are perfectly possible with good connection, simple, easily led moves and keeping the moves small and manageable

Have heard, recently, an absolute horror
    What, this?

I'd dance to it

AAAAAhhhhhhh thanks for reminding me, you'd have to be drunk surely?

until I checked it out on Youtube, I initially assumed you were talking about this:

Which used to get played quite a lot, and had me running for cover everytime it came on

Is this the track being discussed?

No no, that was ok about 3 years ago, its the Outkast version I was talking about, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    What, this?

I'd dance to it

These people don't look too bad dancing to it.

Playing it would break up the monotony a bit.

If WCS *is* influencing MJ playlists then perhaps it's time for a greater separation of the two dances. I think MJ freestyles should be about playing a wide variety of music for MJ without worrying about what the Westies need or want.
    That's not what I said at all, however. At most, you might say WCS is influencing MJ dance styles, and as a result the appropriate tempo for MJ has gone down. But even that ignores that I also said that I think MJ dancing would have moved in that direction anyhow.

Bluntly, the reason MJ freestyles play slower music than they used to because that's what people want to dance to now.

Quote Originally Posted by alinp View Post

In fact that was taught a lot by Ceroc teachers. And conversely the slower the song the more expressive. And more technical moves.

I wonder which variety of cheese Barry White is? I've always enyoyed dancing to You're my First, my Last, My Everything.
    Certainly something you would find on a cheeseboard. I do like dancing to it too.

Incidentally Mike Ellard says that as a general rule the best music to teach someone Ceroc to is 70's disco

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post

These people don't look too bad dancing to it.

Aaaaah! Reminds me how much I love country music, if only it would come back into fashion at last!
    They don't look too bad, but they don't look brilliant either. I like the natural-looking style with relaxed shoulders - would we see that at an MJ class?- but the little kicks are a bit twee.
    Did I see two blokes partnering each other in the circle? Shouldn't they be being lynched, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble
    A few years back I regularly danced MJ at a Rock and Roll night, which is great practice for dancing fast. It's a skill, but not one that's currently in fashion, look at the number of workshops for 'Blues', compared to the number for 'Coping with Fast Music'.
    Do you think it's got anything to do with the aging demographic of MJ?

That Bodyrockers track and video probably sums up everything that's loathsome about that style of music, a clear case of testosterone poisoning.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    That Bodyrockers track and video probably sums up everything that's loathsome about that style of music, a clear case of testosterone poisoning.
    Errrm I quite like the Bodyrockers version also.

Clearly there's no hope for me

If you want to see the perfect example of how MJ can be danced effectively to Candyman without bursting a blood vessel look at Mr & Mrs Fitz in the Ceroc Champs Advanced Final from (I think) 2008.

Very, very deserving winners (did I really just write that in relation to the Ceroc Champs.......)

EDIT: I do like that Bodyrockers track too.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    Incidentally Mike Ellard says that as a general rule the best music to teach someone Ceroc to is 70's disco
    When did he say that? In the 80's?
    Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    EDIT: I do like that Bodyrockers track too.
    Me too, in fact I might just have to play it tomorrow
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    When did he say that? In the 80's?

Close, actually it was sometime in 1998 when I asked him for advice on being a Taxi.

AAAAAhhhhhhh thanks for reminding me, you'd have to be drunk surely?
    If it's a choice between 'I beg your pardon' and the Bodyrockers version of 'I like the way you move', then I'll pick 'I beg your pardon everytime. 'I beg your pardon' does at least have some melody, while Bodyrockers 'I like the way you move' is just a torturous aural mash-up. I always used to flee the room when it came on, in case someone asked me to dance to it

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Errrm I quite like the Bodyrockers version also.

Clearly there's no hope for me
    Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I do like that Bodyrockers track too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Me too, in fact I might just have to play it tomorrow
    I wish I'd never reminded anyone of its existence, please leave it in the dustbin of history, where it belongs.

Commercial Operator

I wonder which variety of cheese Barry White is? I've always enyoyed dancing to You're my First, my Last, My Everything. I think it has nice structure and lots of lovely little mini-breaks.
    This regularly makes it on to my playlists. So does the Peter Grant version.

I have observed a phenomenon recently where the WCS dancers seem to bombard the MJDJ with requests for slower WCSable music. As most people don't make requests the DJ then plays more from the slow list.

I agree with Bubble that the MJDJ should be playing a wide variety of music. And I also agree that they shouldn't worry about playing music for WCS. However, you have to remember to play music for all the MJ dancers in the room - that includes the people who also dance WCS.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wish I'd never reminded anyone of its existence, please leave it in the dustbin of history, where it belongs.
    I remember discussing it a while back - ah, here we are.

In fact, here's a thread about it...

Commercial Operator

Thanks for the reminder I'm playing it tonight in Worthing and Saturday night in Eastbourne

Though I'll probably only play it once next week

N.B. The last time I appeared on TV I was dancing to this song on the Money Programme.

Thread Information