Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utopia,Twickenham Friday 9th July Aftermath thread

Re: Utopia,Twickenham Friday 9th July Aftermath thread

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    Normally frodo I would say you're right but with Minnie if she's at an event she is either helping out or on the guest list..
    Actually that is very true

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    .... She's also a great dancer
    thank you

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ignoring the specifics:
    Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Either crew status matters to how a review would be taken, and should be disclosed or it shouldn't.
    It's a reasonable question.

We have restrictions on this forum, for example, on "commercially-linked" operators advertising their own venues or events.

If Rocky or SilverFox posted a review of a Utopia event, then most of us would probably view their comments through the "organiser" filter. That doesn't mean their reviews would be useless, just that we'd know they're looking at things from a certain perspective which might involve a conflict of interest; i.e. they're probably not going to say a lot of bad things about their own event.

They don't have to "disclose" anything, or declare interest - but then, maybe that's because everyone knows they organise the events.

So yes, I think most people do assign a "credibility factor" to reviews, some part of which is based on whether the poster has some sort of link to the event. I'm not sure if there's anything that could be done to make it transparent - a "declaration of interest" maybe? Or would that be too cumbersome?

With regards to the specific event:
    So are you saying it isn't necessary to disclose crew status, if you can find out by searching for it
    I'll be honest here - when I read Minnie's review, I did indeed apply the "crew filter" to it. To me, the reviews of someone like Robd, who tells it like it is from a customer point of view, have more "credibility" than the views of Minnie in this case. Sorry, Minnie.

(On the other hand, Minnie's much nicer than RobD. )

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I think most people do assign a "credibility factor" to reviews, some part of which is based on whether the poster has some sort of link to the event. I'm not sure if there's anything that could be done to make it transparent - a "declaration of interest" maybe? Or would that be too cumbersome?
    Talking in general terms, I almost always (consciously or unconsciously) add a 'credibility factor'
    Like many on here, having been on the scene for quite some time now, I realise some of us are probably slightly more aware of who's 'in' with who, than many of the newer members, making it simple to apply the 'factor'.
    And that's why I appreciate it, when someone openly declares if they have an interest, as it give's everyone a chance to view the review with equal insight

With regards to the specific event:

I'll be honest here - when I read Minnie's review, I did indeed apply the "crew filter" to it. To me, the reviews of someone like Robd, who tells it like it is from a customer point of view, have more "credibility" than the views of Minnie in this case. Sorry, Minnie.
    But I'd also like to add, that having the advantage of 'knowing Minnie' well. I also, allowed for the 'genuinely saying how she really feels' factor!

But I'll be honest, if I read a review from someone I don't know personally but found out they worked on the door, I'd quite probably read it as a plug too!

Sorry guys, that's just how I am

p.s., if someone disses (sp?) an event, I also apply similar 'factors'
    Last edited by Lory; 14th-July-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Just to add my two penneth, Minnie also compiles Linda's List highlighting all the MJ dance events through out the country.

Minnie is based somewhere in sussex and has to drive a minimum of two hours just to be on the door at Utopia.

I am sure the free admission to Utopia would still not cover her petrol costs

Lastly as I have know her for at least 3 years I find her comments to be her opinion rather than through rose tinted glasses.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Minnie is based somewhere in sussex and has to drive a minimum of two hours just to be on the door at Utopia.
    You've obviously never been driven by Minnie. It's probably under an hour with her at the wheel ....

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Just to add my two penneth, Minnie also compiles Linda's List highlighting all the MJ dance events through out the country.
    It is actually Lynda's List

And it is an essential resource for any dancer in the South (actually would be good if could extend slightly further North ). Lynda does a fantastic job in compiling this - and it is always there.

On the question of the reviews, generally speaking they are too 'gushing' and luvvie for my liking - though having said that, I've done my fair share of those reviews myself.

However, if you know the reviewer, and their reputation (eg. David Bailey or Maxine in my case) then I would be more likely to 'trust' even a 'gusher-luvvy' of a review by them.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    However, if you know the reviewer, and their reputation (eg. David Bailey or Maxine in my case) then I would be more likely to 'trust' even a 'gusher-luvvy' of a review by them.
    In that case, you should know that the Tango class at Berkhamsted was unbelievably good. The teacher is clearly a genius, and deserves to be immediately inducted into the Tango Hall Of Fame. If there isn't a Tango Hall Of Fame, the AT community should create one, right now, especially for him. I felt privileged to be in his presence.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post

I can understand my reviews being perceived as gushy, less likely as luvvie (as I don’t think I have sycophant tendencies). The reason is I prefer to give positive feedback rather than be too negative because I appreciate that the organisers have put in a lot of effort to run an event. Also I often think that if things are written in too negative terms then this could have a detrimental effect rather than improve the situation.

I will never say I enjoyed something if I haven’t, I would just keep quiet.

Incidentally, I would have said how good this week’s Utopia and Daventry were but I felt it would be one too many ‘amazing night’s post, so I held my gushiness back on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Yes I am 'crew' but I am also a punter - I really really do enjoy the social side of the evening and my review was a personal one although I may appeared to go OTT
    yawn............ this is getting boring

Sorry frodo, I know you like an argument, but biased or not, many people do agree with my review.
    Thank you thank you thank you to all those lovely compliments and support you guys have given me ............

I didn't mean to ruin DD's thread and am getting very embarassed by it all now - I apologise for not making it clear who I am.

I have given reviews on here for other venues/events even though I have 'worked' for them and it has never been an issue - personally I think Frodo has an issue with this particular event (I've been playing with the search facility too)

Anyway, it was a genuine review, maybe a little OTT but I have history at the Winning Post (I previously ran the Winning Post Rock 'n Roll & Swing Club for a couple of years) so I know the venue better than most - and I really truly think it is a great venue.

AND......... I am very very very lucky to work and dance (I get over 2hours dancing at least) at my favourite Modern Jive event and it guarantees me a female place every month

PS: I live in Brighton - so it is a schlapp for me to get to, and horrible driving home alone (but soooo worth it)
    Last edited by Minnie M; 14th-July-2010 at 03:41 PM.

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

no I'm not the organiser - the organisers are Rocky, Silver Fox & Val

My three fave venues are, The Rivoli, Dorking Halls and the Winning Post - I have never had a bad night in any them - I can review the other two if you wish
    Dorking Halls is a firm favourite of mine too

yawn............ this is getting boring

Sorry frodo, I know you like an argument
    You don't know that. It is not true.

I like correctness and accuracy.
    I like attempting to find a correct conclusion by debate.
    I like it if people with independent viewpoints feel able to contribute to a debate.

I find it quite distressing when, with a weak argument, people do not distinguish between debating a viewpoint, and attacking a person.

... personally I think Frodo has an issue with this particular event (I've been playing with the search facility too)...
    Similarly.

You don't know that. It is not true.

I like correctness and accuracy.
    I like attempting to find a correct conclusion by debate.
    I like it if people with independent viewpoints feel able to contribute to a debate.

I find it quite distressing when, with a weak argument, people do not distinguish between debating a viewpoint, and attacking a person..
    I thought you were attacking me

I do have independent viewpoints, I have explained that above a couple of times and other forumites who know me have confirmed that. I have also apoogised for not making it obvious who I am, I don't know what else you want me to say for you to have closure on this.

As I have said, I often review events and venues, but haven't in the past mentioned that I have 'worked' for them, didn't think it was relevant (realise now to some it is) AND ........... it also helps me to get to know the organisers and crew in order for me to give a better review to other dancers (I have many email requests for this)

I look forward to you coming to one of the Utopia events frodo and hopefully we can have a dance

--ooOoo--

Re: Utopia,Twickenham Friday ...13TH AUGUST.. Aftermath thread

Did you make last night Dundee Dancer ? Would love to hear your review

It was yet another fabby night, I am sure others would agree too !

PS: Thanks to Gerry, Herbie, and a few others I introduced to my 'friend Tracey' and a Cruella, Sunny Bunny and Maxine I introduced to her husband Clem, it was their first time, and you helped to make their experience even more pleasurable with your fab dancing.
    Last edited by Minnie M; 14th-August-2010 at 08:12 AM.

--ooOoo--

Did you make last night Dundee Dancer ? Would love to hear your review

It was yet another fabby night, I am sure others would agree too !

PS: Thanks to Gerry, Herbie, and a few others I introduced to my 'friend Tracey' and a Cruella, Sunny Bunny and Maxine I introduced to her husband Clem, it was their first time, and you helped to make their experience even more pleasurable with your fab dancing.
    Yes I had a fabulous night, just what I needed. By the way really enjoyed dancing with Clem he was a lovely dancer

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Yes I had a fabulous night, just what I needed. By the way really enjoyed dancing with Clem he was a lovely dancer

Thread Information