Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utopia,Twickenham Friday 9th July Aftermath thread

Post Utopia,Twickenham Friday 9th July Aftermath thread

How was it?
    Time did it go on to?
    Number of rooms? Number of people? Worth travelling to?

Thanks DD.

Re: Utopia,Twickenham Friday 9th July Aftermath thread

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    How was it?
    Time did it go on to?
    Number of rooms? Number of people? Worth travelling to?

Thanks DD.
    Having an "aftermath" thread for the monthly Utopia Twickers will become boring, because there has NEVER been a bad one

The venue (the Winning Post) is the function room of the 'pub' which also has a "Premier Inn" attached to it. The pub also has a decent restraurant. The hall itself is one big room that can (if necessary be split with dividing doors) but it does feel like there are two rooms. The floor itself is sprung and great for dancing.

Is it good ???? With top DJ's like Foxy & Rocky it has to be a winner They also seem to make each event slightly different from the last - some better than others but ALWAYS GOOD.

The atmospher is very friendly and cozy (well decorated) and the standard of dancing is always high.

Last night was FANTASTIC even more so as there wasn't a Utopia in June.

The next one is Friday 13th August - unlucky for some if you don't book early !

PS: Approx 200 dancing (they never over-fill, so there is always room for dancing) and gender balanced, finished at 1am, and definitely worth going to
    Last edited by Minnie M; 10th-July-2010 at 05:59 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Having an "aftermath" thread for the monthly Utopia Twickers will become boring, because there has NEVER been a bad one

Is it good ???? With top DJ's like Foxy & Rocky it has to be a winner They also seem to make each event slightly different from the last - some better than others but ALWAYS GOOD.

The atmospher is very friendly and cozy (well decorated) and the standard of dancing is always high.
    Sounds like an organiser reviewing their own event.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    no I'm not the organiser - the organisers are Rocky, Silver Fox & Val

My three fave venues are, The Rivoli, Dorking Halls and the Winning Post - I have never had a bad night in any them - I can review the other two if you wish

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

The venue (the Winning Post) is the function room of the 'pub' which also has a "Premier Inn" attached to it. The pub also has a decent restraurant. The hall itself is one big room that can (if necessary be split with dividing doors) but it does feel like there are two rooms. The floor itself is sprung and great for dancing.

PS: Approx 200 dancing (they never over-fill, so there is always room for dancing) and gender balanced, finished at 1am, and definitely worth going to
    agree

couldn't make Fri but looking forward to Aug

ok well i am not the organiser either and i completely agree with minnies post

she missed on vital thing
    the atmosphere was absolutely electric
    Everybody there were up for a good time,
    Every time you looked around you saw another fantastic dancer you needed to dance with
    IMHO it felt just like a weekender

If you disagree with Minnie's post tell us why.

If you agree then whats the problem?

If you have never been why not go and then gives us your own unbiased report.

I am not part of the Utopia organisation, just a punter. I agree with what Minnie has said. I have been going to Utopia practically since the event started up and if you look on, was last night amazing thread, you will see that on several occasions I have written to say what a good time I had.

The crew always put in a tremendous amount of effort in getting the ambience right with décor, which just helps the evening feel a bit more special. The music is to my taste (possibly not everyone’s), not standard ceroc, which is the reason it attracts me.

The standard of dancing is very high, but not exclusive or hot shottish, but I always come away having had some fantastic dances.

So if you are in London DD, when Utopia is on, I would say give it a try, I travel across London to get there, taking me almost 1.5 hours ish, so it must seem worth it for me.
    Last edited by Maxine; 12th-July-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post

Frodo said it 'sounds like an organiser reviewing their own event', which it does.

Sounds like people had a great time , so whats with the jumping down peoples throats

I didn't think it was one of the better ones for me but the two main factors contributing to that were pretty much out of the organisers control.

1 - The heat was stifling even when just sitting around but there were fans and the door was open. When it is so warm and stuffy outside it is next to impossible to keep a reasonably busy dance venue cool
    2 - I wasn't enjoying my own dancing. Everyone gets nights like that but it tends to lead to me wanting to sit and watch rather than dance.

I think it was below capacity as it never felt overcrowded on the floor though the heat may have meant people dancing less than usual. Music seemed typically Utopian to me - some good, some indifferent. I'll still book for the next one because when all's said and done a below par Utopia is still better than most other events.

The possible issue (I don't know that it is necessarily a problem) is disclosure.

Two things in combination struck me:-

• Appearing to be a little over the top positive.

• IIRC Minnie M has posted about a past event saying someone could find her easily because she was on the door.

While she has partially clarified her status, if she is or was crew, I believe that also affects how a review is read.

The possible issue (I don't know that it is necessarily a problem) is disclosure.

• IIRC Minnie M has posted about a past event saying someone could find her easily because she was on the door.

While she has partially clarified her status, if she is or was crew, I believe that also affects how a review is read.
    Yes I am 'crew' but I am also a punter - I really really do enjoy the social side of the evening and my review was a personal one although I may appeared to go OTT

--ooOoo--

Based on past requests by yourself, I would have thought it more appropriate to obtain clarification rather than trying to wrap up an opinion as a statement of fact, before you had all the facts.

As regards working the door I think you will find that Minnie has mentioned this a number of times in the past and other posters have also mention her working there in various ways.

As regards responding to a request about an event in the South East of England Minnie has more knowledge than anybody else on this Forum and I think that is why her post comes across with so much authority. The fact that her post is correct also adds to that.

........As regards responding to a request about an event in the South East of England Minnie has more knowledge than anybody else on this Forum and I think that is why her post comes across with so much authority. The fact that her post is correct also adds to that.
    thank you Ant

Actually you will find me "on the door" at many events including weekenders (not just Ceroc and not just Modern Jive), that is why I didn't mention it, plus most people know this anyway.

Apart from centering on me Frodo, not sure where (location wise) you are, but judging on how long you have been posting on here, Utopia events (all of them) do have the winning formula and well worth a visit.

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    So if you are in London DD, when Utopia is on, I would say give it a try, I travel across London to get there, taking me almost 1.5 hours ish, so it must seem worth it for me.
    I plan at some point to make a special effort to come along to a Utopian night.

I have friends near Kew Bridge who I normally stay with when down in London.

At least I know times and locations now, time to start hatching a plan

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    I plan at some point to make a special effort to come along to a Utopian night.

I have friends near Kew Bridge who I normally stay with when down in London.

At least I know times and locations now, time to start hatching a plan
    Let me know when you do and I'll look out for you

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Let me know when you do and I'll look out for you
    me too

--ooOoo--

Based on past requests by yourself, I would have thought it more appropriate to obtain clarification rather than trying to wrap up an opinion as a statement of fact, before you had all the facts.
    Obscuring the argument when you have an indefensible case is common political strategy. I don't think it is appropriate here.

Either crew status matters to how a review would be taken, and should be disclosed or it shouldn't.

Are you saying it shouldn't.

As regards working the door I think you will find that Minnie has mentioned this a number of times in the past and other posters have also mention her working there in various ways.
    So are you saying it isn't necessary to disclose crew status, if you can find out by searching for it ?

Actually you will find me "on the door" at many events including weekenders (not just Ceroc and not just Modern Jive), that is why I didn't mention it, plus most people know this anyway.
    Well most people who go to regular events you're on the door at, probably do.

.........Well most people who go to regular events you're on the door at, probably do.
    yawn............ this is getting boring

Sorry frodo, I know you like an argument, but biased or not, many people do agree with my review.

--ooOoo--

Normally frodo I would say you're right but with Minnie if she's at an event she is either helping out or on the guest list. She's also a great dancer

Thread Information