Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJs having a laugh

Question DJs having a laugh

Does anyone think that just occasionally ceroc DJs throw in a dreadful song just to guage the punters reaction for a bit of a laugh. Have heard, recently, an absolute horror ' I beg your pardon I never promised you a rose garden' seriously. Even taking into account different ages, cultures, taste, styles etc etc there can be no justification for inflicting such GBH of the ears.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: DJs having a laugh

personal taste too of course - I understand TheTramp finds that jive classic "the Mavericks- dance the night away" to be GBH

Blog Entries

You really should try JustJivin' in Herts/Essex.
    Mick the DJ plays nothing but cheese for most of the night*!

*I haven't been for a couple of years, but I can't imagine he's changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    *I haven't been for a couple of years, but I can't imagine he's changed.
    Correct! He's played the same set of songs, in the same order for as long as I've been dancing, but I find it quite comforting and I don't mind dancing to Shakin' Stevens Green Door occasionally. He also plays my favourite - A nightingale sang in Berkeley Square.

The thing that irritates me the most about Modern Jive DJ's is when they play songs that are far too fast for modern jive such as Candy Man and Euro-techno-acid-sh1te. The punters at my local venue are lucky they're still breathing and you get the feeling the DJ is just trying to finish them off with his music. They all look like demented chickens on crack while trying to keep up with the beat too....it's total carnage.

The DJ's answer to this when challenged is that he is playing tracks that are requested, but I think common sense should prevail when he know's a request is much too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    personal taste too of course - I understand TheTramp finds that jive classic "the Mavericks- dance the night away" to be GBH
    If its the track I'm thinking of, yes would definately agree, it has a sound similar to when the organist rises from the floor at Blackpool Tower(so I am told) !

The thing that irritates me the most about Modern Jive DJ's is when they play songs that are far too fast for modern jive such as Candy Man and Euro-techno-acid-sh1te. The punters at my local venue are lucky they're still breathing and you get the feeling the DJ is just trying to finish them off with his music. They all look like demented chickens on crack while trying to keep up with the beat too....it's total carnage.

The DJ's answer to this when challenged is that he is playing tracks that are requested, but I think common sense should prevail when he know's a request is much too fast.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he gets them to sign over their assets beforehand, yes have seen similar in local venues. but personally, would have to be assured that it was safe to go back into the room after hearing Shaking Stevens crooning 'The green door'

Quote Originally Posted by straight girl View Post
    Does anyone think that just occasionally ceroc DJs throw in a dreadful song just to guage the punters reaction for a bit of a laugh. Have heard, recently, an absolute horror ' I beg your pardon I never promised you a rose garden' seriously. Even taking into account different ages, cultures, taste, styles etc etc there can be no justification for inflicting such GBH of the ears.
    Yes - I have often asked the question: "why play the crap tunes?". And then comes the response: "well some people like it. Music is subjective".

Well actually, it isn't.

I (JiveLad) am the only reliable arbiter of taste and goodness when it comes to music. I am the only person (in the known universe) who immediately knows when a track is good or not. I can sniff a crap track out 500m away, in under 10 seconds. I have an uncanny ability to sense a great track and understand where it fits within the rich tapestry of popular music.

I have the ability to empathise with all ages, cultures, tastes and styles to ensure a diverse range is catered for and which is fully inclusive and congruent with the communitarian values of a principled dance ethos. I refuse to bow to pressures of modern media or 'accepted wisdom' about particular tracks - and instead, apply the universal values of harmony, melody, rhythm, beat and general tap-along-ability.

I listen to music through the day - analysing and understanding sounds outside of the norm, to stretch the dance envelope: before breakfast I absorb lashings of musique concrète, followed by Steve Reich, then Wagner and early Ryan Paris or Baccara. It is only right therefore that any issue with respect to 'songs' and whether or not they are 'dreadful' be brought to my attention at the earliest possible moment, so I can declare where the song fits within the pantheon of music.

For a small fee I am happy to provide my expertise. For the 'Bronze' service, I will listen to a song and provide you with a rating of 1 to 5, where 1 is 'crap' and 5 is equivalent to an aural and sensual experience unusual on planet Earth. The Platinum service includes remixing and mashing of tracks (with William Orbit, Mark Ronson or Jack Johnson, depending on availability) with a focus on tap-along-ability.

The overall aim of this service is to reduce the environmental pollution caused by DJs playing crap tracks, which as recent studies have shown by the IPCC is a key factor in global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Yes - I have often asked the question: "why play the crap tunes?". And then comes the response: "well some people like it. Music is subjective".

Well actually, it isn't.

I (JiveLad) am the only reliable arbiter of taste and goodness when it comes to music. I am the only person (in the known universe) who immediately knows when a track is good or not. I can sniff a crap track out 500m away, in under 10 seconds. I have an uncanny ability to sense a great track and understand where it fits within the rich tapestry of popular music.

I have the ability to empathise with all ages, cultures, tastes and styles to ensure a diverse range is catered for and which is fully inclusive and congruent with the communitarian values of a principled dance ethos. I refuse to bow to pressures of modern media or 'accepted wisdom' about particular tracks - and instead, apply the universal values of harmony, melody, rhythm, beat and general tap-along-ability.

I listen to music through the day - analysing and understanding sounds outside of the norm, to stretch the dance envelope: before breakfast I absorb lashings of musique concrète, followed by Steve Reich, then Wagner and early Ryan Paris or Baccara. It is only right therefore that any issue with respect to 'songs' and whether or not they are 'dreadful' be brought to my attention at the earliest possible moment, so I can declare where the song fits within the pantheon of music.

For a small fee I am happy to provide my expertise. For the 'Bronze' service, I will listen to a song and provide you with a rating of 1 to 5, where 1 is 'crap' and 5 is equivalent to an aural and sensual experience unusual on planet Earth. The Platinum service includes remixing and mashing of tracks (with William Orbit, Mark Ronson or Jack Johnson, depending on availability) with a focus on tap-along-ability.

The overall aim of this service is to reduce the environmental pollution caused by DJs playing crap tracks, which as recent studies have shown by the IPCC is a key factor in global warming.
    Sorry your not the only one. I have several at my venue's

ChrisU

Well actually, it isn't.

Blimey, thought I was opinionated. Just to test your theory, where would something like, as an example 'I like the way you move' by Outkast appear on the crapometer of good music ?

where would something like, as an example 'I like the way you move' by Outkast appear on the crapometer of good music ?
    Can I answer that one?

I would say, on the crapometer, that would be somewhere in the region of up to your elbows in it with a side helping of flies, maggots and cockroaches.

Just to test your theory, where would something like, as an example 'I like the way you move' by Outkast appear on the crapometer of good music ?
    Oh, err, um, I think I quite like that one.

Does my crapometer need recalibrating?

Am glad you said that cos I like it too, great to dance to. Think your crapometer is fine lol, though sure others will disagree.

Blimey, thought I was opinionated. Just to test your theory, where would something like, as an example 'I like the way you move' by Outkast appear on the crapometer of good music ?
    Well, normally, it is cash up front, however, I am sure you will recompense in due course, so please see below. (This is just a 'Bronze' service).

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Can I answer that one?

I would say, on the crapometer, that would be somewhere in the region of up to your elbows in it with a side helping of flies, maggots and cockroaches.
    Au contraire. It scores a respectable 3.2, and for your reference, it is above the likes of 'I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden'.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Errr, I like that one too...

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Oh, err, um, I think I quite like that one.
    I like it too
    Au contraire. It scores a respectable 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Errr, I like that one too...
    Pah! Amateurs!!

tap-along-ability
    Is that for those of us with walking sticks?

Commercial Operator

The thing that irritates me the most about Modern Jive DJ's is when they play songs that are far too fast for modern jive such as Candy Man
    MJ really has slowed down so much? Candyman's what - around 175bpm?) Back when I were a lad.... songs like Hanky Panky, Touch & Go's Would You? (both around 170ish), Mr Zoot Suit (more like 180) and so on were playing pretty frequently.

I believe there is nothing in inherent MJ which stops one dancing comfortably at those speeds. Would it be true to say that people are no longer used to dancing fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    You really should try JustJivin' in Herts/Essex.
    Mick the DJ plays nothing but cheese for most of the night*!
    Mind you there is Camembert, Brie, Rocquefort, Blue Stilton and then there is Dairylea

Au contraire. It scores a respectable 3.2, and for your reference, it is above the likes of 'I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden'.
    3.2, huh? Thank goodness I said i only quite liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prian
    Mind you there is Camembert, Brie, Rocquefort, Blue Stilton and then there is Dairylea
    If Dance the Night away is the Dairylea of MJ music, what would be the Roquefort - Love is in the Air? Maybe that's only Danish Blue in the great hierarchy of preserved dairy products?

Please note, due to early childhood imprinting, I'm very fond of Dairylea.

I've had great dances to Candyman in the Good Old Days, nowadays I need oxygen after the first minute. I don't think it's too fast, I think I'm too slow. It does help if you dance with a partner that knows how to be economical with movement. Don't ask, I couldn't possibly explain.

If Dance the Night away is the Dairylea of MJ music, what would be the Roquefort - Love is in the Air?
    More like Cheddar.

Roquefort for me would be "Let There Be Love," "My Baby Just Cares For Me" or "Stray Cat Strut."

I've had great dances to Candyman in the Good Old Days, nowadays I need oxygen after the first minute. I don't think it's too fast, I think I'm too slow. It does help if you dance with a partner that knows how to be economical with movement. Don't ask, I couldn't possibly explain.
    This was hugely popular when I started Ceroc. Talk about fast I couldn't dance to the whole song then let alone now. And I wasn't the only one.

Thread Information