Thread: AA Membership - resurrection!

AA Membership - resurrection!

I was a member of the AA in 2001 - I phoned and cancelled the membership that December as I was selling my car and not replacing it. I remember it well 'cos I was pretty annoyed that they wouldn't refund the 6 months I had left on my membership!

On my bank statement today I noticed that they had charged me for membership again.

After a few phone calls it would appear that they think I only suspended my account in 2001 and re-activated it in 2006 and started charging me for membership again!

During that time I'd moved house so I never got any correspondence from them to say they were re-activation my membership - obviously I never told them I had moved (as the guy I spoke to pn the phone insisted I should have done) because as far as I was concerned I was no longer a member.

Apart from checking my bank statements more thoroughly (I've obviously missed the payments under various AA guises for the last 4 years!) and writing them a letter telling them I want a refund of the £411.75 they've taken from me without my permission over the last 4 years - is there anything else I can do?

And do they have the right to re-activate my membership and start taking money from my account again, 5 years later, without my permission?

Any help on this would be great - at the moment I feel like I'm embarking on yet another letter of complaint that will end in me getting nothing back from a large corporation.

Cheers
    gb

Commercial Operator

Re: AA Membership - resurrection!

Quote Originally Posted by gamebird View Post
    Any help on this would be great - at the moment I feel like I'm embarking on yet another letter of complaint that will end in me getting nothing back from a large corporation.

Cheers
    gb
    Go to your local citizen's advice. They'll know what to do.

Take them to the small claims court

Try contacting a national newspaper and see if they'll feature you as one of their weekly customer service horror stories.The Guardian does a good column of these every Saturday. Also try the Citizens' Advice Bureau.

Thread Information