Thread: JazzCotech

JazzCotech

A while ago I happened across a link to the Glasgow Jazz Festival. Idly browsing through the various events, I came across a free workshop that was being taught by someone from the JazzCotech dance troupe. Not having heard of them before, and knowing nothing more about them than what we had read on their homepage, Nessiemonster and I signed up for the workshop and went along last weekend.

It was amazing! It was a challenging solo routine to, what seemed to us, a very fast track (although having seen some videos of truly fast lindy I'm sure it wouldn't quite compare). Saying that, I found the most thought-provoking part came when the teacher and demo invited questions at the end. They were clearly incredibly passionate about both the music and style of dancing that they do, and made some points about the rhythm and structure of the music that I will probably still be digesting for a while.

What really surprises me is that all of the dancers in the troupe have little or no training. All are self-taught and started out dancing in jazz clubs. Perry Louis, who taught the workshop and also founded the troupe, commented that street-fusion jazz dance, as they call their style of dancing, is still a very young and vibrant dance and one that is still developing. He also told us that he started going to clubs in around 1976. Considering the beginnings of modern jive were only a few years later, it occurred to me that this style of dance and MJ share some common ground.

This is a link to the JazzCotech homepage:

http://jazzcotech.com/index.htm

And these are a couple of youtube videos of them in action:

Sorry for the ramble. I suppose I just wanted to share a form of dance that I had never come across before, and ask if anyone else had come across it, or indeed the JazzCotech Dancers before?

Re: JazzCotech

Wow, that's certainly fast!

The second film clip is especially good - I love the editing and the "face off" in the Burlington Arcade (?).

Thanks for sharing this.

Found another really good film which gives a potted history of the style and shows some really good bits of dancing to a variety of music (albeit within the jazz funk / jazz fusion / Afrocuban jazz etc. idiom)

Thanks Lost Leader, excellent video

Watching it, I wondered if there was any crossover or similarity with Northern Soul-style dancing? However I come from a viewpoint of knowing almost nothing about Northern Soul. Maybe someone like Fletch would have a better idea?

Do some classes

Sean is an unbelieveable dancer

Take a look at verse dance arena .com for details

Jazz dance is more in line with Tap think the Nicolas brothers. Not really northern/ Jazz dance was something that originated in London not up in t' north
    Last edited by tricky dancer two; 1st-July-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Thread Information