Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: WCS - a newbie's perspective

Re: WCS - a newbie's perspective

Quote Originally Posted by alinp View Post
    I think it's worth noting that this thread was started as a newcomers perspective on WCS (and perhaps the WCS scene) and many valid points are being made by newcomers. Some may not think they're correct, but that is their perception.

First impressions can be hard to break and it seems similar impressions have been gained in different areas of the country, but with the common theme of a perceived elitism within WCS.

The question therefore is.... does the WCS community want to change this?? From some of the replies, I wonder!!
    I hear what you are saying but I still have difficulty with people (beginners or not) looking in on a dance between two people and making judgements and assumptions based on their facial expressions.

[QUOTE=emmylou25;577514]Exactly, and dancing with someone different there's always something to take away from it.

I think with WCS, some teachers need to be more approachable in freestyles. QUOTE]

Paul Warden will dance with anyone, I know that from personal experiences because he even leads me

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    I hear what you are saying but I still have difficulty with people (beginners or not) looking in on a dance between two people and making judgements and assumptions based on their facial expressions.
    Just a thought though.... assuming 2 potential partners of similar abilities, are u more likely to want to dance with the one who looks like they're enjoying themselves or the one who looks deadly serious throughout???

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post

Paul Warden will dance with anyone, I know that from personal experiences because he even leads me
    I had the pleasure of Peter following in the first class - he was very complimentary too

Just a thought though.... assuming 2 potential partners of similar abilities, are u more likely to want to dance with the one who looks like they're enjoying themselves or the one who looks deadly serious throughout???
    Again the assumption is being made that the the deadly serious one is not having a good time or not enjoying the dance. In my experience the serious ones are often the best.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay - I personally think that if you're enjoying yourself, then smiling shows this and trasmits your pleasure to your partner, hence improving the their esteem and confidence which in turn leads to a better experience for both parties.
    I don't think you need to be grinning like a Cheshire Cat, but I agree that "body language" is telling - and if the body language is one of concentration rather than, say, bliss, not only does it "lead to a better experience for both parties", it means you dance better.

Confidence: fake it till you make it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glads View Post
    a girl could get a complex by being ignored so much
    Heh. Don't try Tango, that's my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post

I must have caught him on a bad day. Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
    Again the assumption is being made that the the deadly serious one is not having a good time or not enjoying the dance. In my experience the serious ones are often the best.
    I shall remember to look extremely serious if you're around - I may get a dance then

I shall remember to look extremely serious if you're around - I may get a dance then
    Please ask me to dance or come and introduce yourself. I am just out of beginership myself. Believe me there have been many highs and lows for me too.

I think it's worth noting that this thread was started as a newcomers perspective on WCS (and perhaps the WCS scene) and many valid points are being made by newcomers. Some may not think they're correct, but that is their perception.

First impressions can be hard to break and it seems similar impressions have been gained in different areas of the country, but with the common theme of a perceived elitism within WCS.

The question therefore is.... does the WCS community want to change this?? From some of the replies, I wonder!!
    As AlinP says I started this thread, just to provide feedback on my experiences and hoped others would come forward with theirs. I'm still of the opinion that WCS venues are not as friendly towards beginners as Modern Jive classes, with the possible exception of Sam B class at ArchAngel, but this is mainly because its mostly beginners with some good dancers like Alison, James, Kasper coming along and the sense of community Sam is bringing to the class is something she reinforces throughout the lesson rather than just saying at the end dance with everyone.

Having said all this I think that the main reason people feel that its not as friendly is partly a confidence thing, partly a snobbish thing and mainly a lack of taxi's. Taxi's act as a safety net for a lot of beginners and are someone who is there to dance with them and a face they can look for an recognise in other weeks as well. The trouble with WCS is that the classes are so small in comparison, taxi's don't really work.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by rtwwpad View Post
    Having said all this I think that the main reason people feel that its not as friendly is partly a confidence thing, partly a snobbish thing and mainly a lack of taxi's. Taxi's act as a safety net for a lot of beginners and are someone who is there to dance with them and a face they can look for an recognise in other weeks as well. The trouble with WCS is that the classes are so small in comparison, taxi's don't really work.
    I find that taxi dancers work well at smaller classes. Probably better than they do at large classes.

My own opinion regarding the reputation of WCS classes is that the reputation is due to acceptance of an existing culture. And there's a reluctance to admit there's any need to change by some of the teachers and experience dancers. I'm afraid that I keep hearing the same things from students - and when I pass on the things I've heard I get the same reaction "there's no problem", "it's not happening" and "stop 'WCS bashing'".

I'm only talking about perception. I've not been to a WCS class for years. But I get dance students telling me about their visits to WCS classes on a regular basis. I'm not reporting my own experiences, I'm reporting what I've heard customers saying. And other customers have posted here that they've had similar experiences at WCS classes - ignore customer opinion at your peril.

I've been told my customers are wrong to have those opinions and those who have expressed the same opinion on here have been told they are wrong too. The counter argument seems to be along the lines of "Paul Warden is friendly therefore WCS is friendly"

...and went to Twickenham again tonight.
    Me too

...only 1 person took the effort to come and say hi to a newcomer to the venue (thanks Gerry)
    That's one more than I got!

Also a newbie-outsider-type-bloke, I found everyone both in class & freestyle quite friendly. I got plenty of dances, and generally had a decent night

Sorry I don't know who you are alinp, else I would have certainly said allo

It seemed there were the occasioanl glances from partners as if to say "what was that" and here (picking up on Frodo's point) I would have loved it if I could have had some feedback as to what wasn't working.
    I don't think it's the done thing for people to be dishing out unrequested feedback on a social dance floor? I've asked for feedback now & then, if I thought the person i'm asking would be happy to help, - i've always received a positive response

So - all in all - not a horrendous experience, although certainly not in my comfort zone.
    Godstone is a doable trip for you, - why don't you try that venue out? You will find it far more relaxed, friendly and sociable. There are always too many women there too, so you won't be short of dances.
    Petts Wood is just as relaxed & sociable, the music's better, the genders is a little more balanced - but Orpington might be a bit far for you.

there is most definitely a snobbery and elitism blatantly apparent amongst WCS dancers to a far greater degree than at any MJ venue! At the last weekender I attended I plucked up courage to ask for a couple of dances and the although the people concerned did deign to dance with me, the looks of disdain upon their faces nearly led me to walk off the dance floor!
    I'm sorry to read about your experiences

Which venues / weekenders have you experienced all this at ???

Sorry haven't figured out how to do the quote thing! Phil deB asked at which venues/weekenders I've experienced this. My main experience of WCS social dancing has been at weekenders, namely Southport and Skegness

Commercial Operator

Sorry haven't figured out how to do the quote thing! Phil deB asked at which venues/weekenders I've experienced this.
    You just click on the "post" button at the bottom of the post you wish to quote. If you don't want to quote the whole post you can delete the bit you don't need. Just take care to leave the square brackets [ and ] intact.

You can use copy and paste if you want to break the post up into bite size chunks - just make sure you copy everything including the square brackets.

In this debate any viewpoint is only as 'correct' as the perception of the person holding it.

It's a bit harder for me to relate to this impression, partly as I started WCS a few years ago now and partly because I knew many of the familiar faces on the scene from MJ events.

Your implicit assertion is that the 'WCS community' (whatever that may be and however many or few of that group read this forum) should want to change this. Why is that?

... with the common theme of a perceived elitism within WCS.
    That asks two questions.

Firstly, is the perception of elitism actually justified? The thing to remember is that MJ is, in most cases, a very simplified form of partner dancing. For that reason, most other partner dances are going to be harder than MJ. How much of the perception of elitism is simply because people find that WCS is harder than MJ and think this is wrong.

Secondly, can you explain what is wrong with elitism? All too often when I hear accusations of elitism, the real motive is more about bringing everyone else down to a lower level. Elitism is a fair charge in some cases, but in most it looks a lot more like transference...

However what I meant to add but forgot in my most recent post is that thinking about this thread did inspire me to ask a wider range of people to dance at a WCS night I attended on Friday (West Coast Amnesia - very good, excellent venue and music) so perhaps it is doing one of the things it was intended to do?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    West Coast Amnesia - very good, excellent venue and music
    I did dance with all the new followers at this event, infact I tried to dance with everyone but time got in the way and I missed a few

Such a pity that we will have to wait until Oct for the nex Amnesia event

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    Firstly, is the perception of elitism actually justified? The thing to remember is that MJ is, in most cases, a very simplified form of partner dancing. For that reason, most other partner dances are going to be harder than MJ. How much of the perception of elitism is simply because people find that WCS is harder than MJ and think this is wrong.
    I'm sure you have a point, but less defensible are things like:

"No, I won't explain that - if you want to learn, pay a Pro, like I did".
    "I'm right and you're wrong; I won't explain why, but have you had privates with Jordan about this?"

I've also seen *many* WCS explanations on here that leave me mystified - where I've felt the point of the post was "let me show how clever I am" rather than to actually inform. Now this might well be my own shortcomings - my WCS is very much at the beginner level. But I've had a fair amount of postiive feedback for my own "try to explain WCS" posts on here from people who are good, so I'm not convinced it's all my fault.

Secondly, can you explain what is wrong with elitism? All too often when I hear accusations of elitism, the real motive is more about bringing everyone else down to a lower level. Elitism is a fair charge in some cases, but in most it looks a lot more like transference...
    I agree that elitism gets a harder time on here than it deserves - it sometimes feels like "OMG, you used the E-word!".

At the same time, when (several) people post "I went to XYZ and found it unfriendly", I don't find myself impressed by posts essentially saying "XYZ is friendly - the problem is with you".

[Some venues are less friendly than others, and like elitism, that isn't necessarily bad. I don't think Hammersmith is a good place to take a beginner MJ dancer, and I don't think this is really a fault with Hammersmith. But if people were posting "Hammersmith is really friendly to beginners, the problem is with you", I'd be unimpressed by that too].

I'm aware I've slightly exaggerated some positions here - consider it shorthand for the point I want to make.

Thread Information