Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a friendly reminder....

Re: Just a friendly reminder....

Heavens above,now you want to have your say on what I damn well wear.

Sometimes I am not sure whether your are taking the **** or not.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Are you talking to 'me'

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Are you talking to 'me'

.. mother****er

Are you talkin' to ME?!

I couldn't resist.

But, as it happens, I agree with the sentiment behind djtrev's post. There's too many people who are the self-appointed fashion police. They feel that it's OK to comment negatively about what guys are wearing. Either in person on sniggering and pointing in corners.

Us guys are rubbish at choosing clothes to wear. It's because most of us have some sort of uniform for work. And we find it difficult to be casual, especially smart casual. And smart casual is probably correct for attending an average MJ night.

(hijack alert!! )

As I happens I'm currently putting together an article on "smart casual". It's aimed at baby boomers: no younger than 50. It does need a bit more polishing. But it does mention that shorts and socks are a hanging offence! The final piece will have pictures of very handsome male models. I'd love to receive comments and suggestions for improvement. Either by PM or on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McG
    Smart Casual - Could it Win an Election?

Love or hate the term, we're stuck with it and need to know what to do when the invitation says “Dress Code: Smart Casual”. Speaking personally I fall into the "hate" camp that says that "smart" almost certainly needs a suit or a jacket and trousers with a crease and that "casual" definitely means that a suit is too smart. This makes "smart casual" a contradiction in terms, an oxymoron that is designed to confuse and befuddle rather than enlighen. Thankfully we aren't alone in our befuddlement. We might even remember the shadow cabinet when the order went out to dress in “smart casual” for a bonding weekend. Out came the old golfing sweaters and tired shirts. It all looked rather desperate and might even have contributed to another 5 years on the opposition bench! Here is what David Willets, Conservative MP for Havant, said in June 2005 “when the Conservative party has mastered smart casual it will once more be ready for office.” Well now they are in office, but we’re still not sure of their mastery of “smart casual”!

Us mature men are usually very good at knowing what to wear for a formal occasion or work, especially if there’s a uniform. This can be an actual uniform or a suit, shirt and tie. But we keep being told that men are rubbish at casual or civilian dress. We’re not too bad at being smart, but in the domain of “smart casual” we often get it wrong. And take us on holiday - things start to get grisly – floral shirts & floral shorts, socks & sandals, Speedos & bellies!

Men can no longer be forgiven for looking boring when off-duty. We should pay attention to our appearance at all times and dress with style for the sake of our ladies if nothing else. And it is completely unforgiveable if you seem to have made an effort and got it completely wrong - as the Conservative party did all those years ago!

Women are often our biggest critics. That’s because they know what they’re doing. They’ve grown up thinking about clothes. Unlike us men they’ve got no obvious uniform, so they’ve always had to think about what to wear each morning, and again in the evening as well. And for a special event they’ve probably been planning their outfit from the moment they were invited.

Where does Smart Casual fit?

First of all we need to know where “Smart Casual” fits into the general scheme of things. So we need to establish a few categories. Technically these are from the most informal to the most formal, Casual, Smart Casual, Business Casual, Informal, Formal, Black Tie and finally White Tie. You might start the casual scale even further back with “around the house & garden casual” but this is definitely not for public consumption and very individual. Another one that is easy to get wrong when it appears on an invitation is “informal”: this traditionally means lounge suit or cocktail dress. If you are in any doubt about the dress code it’s probably worth checking. As with all dress codes, the rule of thumb is always to over-dress rather than under-dress if you are in any doubt. Under-dress and you are in danger of looking as if you’re on a Conservative party bonding weekend – even if you’re in the Conservative party you don’t want to make that mistake!

When defining smart casual it is easier to define what it is not as it generally forbids the donning of shorts especially with socks and sandals - a sartorial hanging offence at the very least! Avoid sporting/athletic brands, caps or branded hats and open-toed shoes such as flip-flops – or 'casual' wear. You are also avoiding being formal in any way as that is probably the sentiment behind the invitation to dress "smart casual". This means that smart casual requires us to strike a balance between casual and formal: not an easy task and one that people regularly find difficult. It’s better to be a bit too formal rather than a bit too informal when you’ve been told the dress code is smart casual. And there is always a danger of looking too much like a geek – you don’t want to arrive looking like you’ve come to mend the computer! You have an opportunity to make a style statement when you dress smart casual and you have the experience and maturity to get this right in every way.

Stylishly Smart Casual

Shirts - The key to style when aiming for smart casual is shirt choice. You need a collar but you don’t want to look as if a tie is missing. One solution is to have a button-down collar, but this isn’t the only option. Some collar styles lend themselves to an open collar and others do not. Try out different shirts from your wardrobe with this in mind. There is no reason why you shouldn’t wear a short-sleeved shirt if you are not going to wear a jacket, but avoid white and solid colours like pale blue as you will look like you’ve just stepped out from behind the counter! You can go for dark shades as these will work well. If you are planning to wear a jacket go for long sleeved as it looks better if you have your shirt-cuffs showing.

Open collars are absolutely fine these days but do NOT leave two buttons undone as so many men insist on doing these days. Remember “Every time a woman leaves off something she looks better, but every time a man leaves off something he looks worse”. ~Will Rogers

As well as plain shirts you can go for stripes, checks or even patterns. But avoid shirts with slogans or messages as they are a step too far in the direction of casual.

Can I wear a Polo Shirt? - Definitely yes if you’re wearing a jacket. But avoid ones with a slogan.

Can I wear a T-shirt? – Probably not, very few men over 50 can carry off wearing a T-shirt but it might work with a jacket, Cardigan or jumper.

Jackets – Smarten up a casual look and can be just about any fabric except denim. If you have gone for a strikingly patterned shirt take care to avoid a jazzy pattern in your jacket. And, please, please, please, do not be tempted to push up your jacket sleeves unless you are appearing in a re-make of Miami Vice!

Trousers – Plain trousers are going to work with everything and are better if you’re wearing a patterned jacket or shirt. Creases are fine but aren’t necessary and turn-ups are probably wrong – especially if you have short legs. If everything else is plain you could wear patterned trousers. Chino trousers are the “smart casual” trousers of choice in the summer, consider moleskins for when the season changes. And why not show your individuality and opt for brighter coloured trousers such as red or mustard?

Can I Wear Jeans? – Most of us grew up in the “jeans generation” although we probably cannot get away with torn, frayed or patched jeans these days. NEVER put a crease down the centre of the leg as you would any other trousers, always iron flat to the seams. Jeans always look great with buttoned down collared shirts, loafers and a navy jacket.

Shoes – Loafers, deck shoes, brogues, etc. Shoes must be clean and do not wear trainers or sports shoes. Your socks don’t need to be black or match your shoes or trousers, but they don’t need to be the first thing that someone notices. Patterns are OK, contrasting colours are probably a step too far.

In summary, smart casual should be comfortable, stylish in an understated way and not a strident “look at me” statement.
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 26th-June-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Can I wear a T-shirt? – Probably not, very few men over 50 can carry off wearing a T-shirt but it might work with a jacket, Cardigan or jumper.
    Surely the classic smart casual look is the v-neck t-shirt under an unbuttoned single-breasted suit or sports jacket.

T-shirt by itself, obviously not, and t-shirt under cardigan is just casual.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    Surely the classic smart casual look is the v-neck t-shirt under an unbuttoned single-breasted suit or sports jacket.

T-shirt by itself, obviously not, and t-shirt under cardigan is just casual.
    I agree. But the t-shirt is ubiquitous and others seem to think they can pull it off.

I think the t-shirt is completely unsuitable for smart casual because you may wish to remove your jacket. And then you are a guy in a t-shirt who probably looks like he's come to fix the boiler. However, others disagree! What do I know, I also think jeans are completely unsuitable for anything but workwear for manual labour such as mechanics, gardening, building, etc. But I took a straw poll of people passing me in a coffee shop the other day. Nineteen out of twenty were wearing jeans!

I can't believe you guys are so conservative about men's clothing. Surely everyone wears jeans and t-shirts these days, from 9 months to 90? But as you get older you should probably get better quality clothes, avoid extremes of fashion and keep clothes plainer and unfussy.

I think a good t-shirt and pair of jeans can look good on anyone - provided they are good quality, well-fitting, non-scruffy, no pictures, slogans or logos, no unsuitable colours etc, etc. Having said that, the T-shirts I see being sold for younger men with discreet pictures/writing on would look good on most ages, certainly up to 60 or so, I think.

I think t-shirts with jackets are also absolutely fine, with the above provisos, of course.

A nice, well-fitting shirt probably does have the edge for casual style, but for most men, for everyday relaxing wear, t-shirts are perfectly acceptable.

I'm not very keen on the denim jeans jacket look on older men. Too hard to get it right without running the risk of looking like a male-menopausal old rocker.

Trouble is, it's not what you wear, but the way you wear it anyway. Some men would still look frumpy in a neat and correct shirt and jacket while others could look fantastic in a t-shirt and jeans with a sweater.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Surely everyone wears jeans and t-shirts these days, from 9 months to 90?
    As part of "everyone" I can say that I haven't worn a pair of jeans in public since about 1980. I have a pair of black trousers that are cut like jeans and two pairs of Levi's in red and yellow that I brought for a video shoot and have not been seen since*. But that's all.

Jeans are an easy choice and some women look fabulous in jeans. But most guys do not look so good. As I'm blessed with a fabulous, pert bottom I would look good in the right jeans But, to my eye, I'd still look as if I should be sliding under the car.

*I didn't release the video as I didn't like the way I looked in the jeans

As part of "everyone" I can say that I haven't worn a pair of jeans in public since about 1980. :

but in my case the 50s

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    - I find that linen trousers are really good (as sold in any half way decent clothing shop).
    linen is definatly COOL
    Last edited by philsmove; 11th-September-2010 at 09:36 AM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    linen is definatly COOL
    Is that supposed to read "defiantly"?

As part of "everyone" I can say that I haven't worn a pair of jeans in public since about 1980. I have a pair of black trousers that are cut like jeans and two pairs of Levi's in red and yellow that I brought for a video shoot and have not been seen since*. But that's all.
    I don't wish to exclude you from my concept of "everyone". I'm still amazed at the expression of anti-jeans feeling.

Jeans are an easy choice and some women look fabulous in jeans. But most guys do not look so good.
    Lots of guys look good in jeans,and I'm sure you would too. Especially with the compact gluteals. Yes, jeans (read boring, unimaginative and ubiquitous) are an easy choice but we are talking simple, everyday dressing but still looking good, aren't we?

*I didn't release the video as I didn't like the way I looked in the jeans [/QUOTE]

Blog Entries

Well someone should.

But the t-shirt is ubiquitous and others seem to think they can pull it off.
    If you're having trouble with people pulling your t-shirts off, I suspect you're hanging around in all the wrong places Andy.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a discussion forum, and we're expressing opinions. Admittedly some expressions are more opinionated than others.

That's part of the fun.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    This is a discussion forum, and we're expressing opinions. Admittedly some expressions are more opinionated than others.
    And some people's opinions matter more than others

It's because most of us have some sort of uniform for work.
    ...and may I say Andy that you look resplendent in your own work uniform. It's not easy carrying off Saucy Scullery Maid with those legs of yours.

Just as well that Lory didn't go to Hammersmith on Saturday, as it was a sea of shorts and men wearing ance shoes and socks (often black) with them. And enough Hawaiian shirts to make your eyes bleed to

Interestingly, the beach theme seemed to reduce the female insults to fashion and style.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    ...and may I say Andy that you look resplendent in your own work uniform. It's not easy carrying off Saucy Scullery Maid with those legs of yours.
    It's a curse. My legs are so long that the tops of my stockings show when I bend over to sweep the grate. I've seen the master go very red faced and I think he must be embarrassed when I do it when he's entertaining his male friends - inconveniently they always seem to drop in at the same time as I'm making up the fire in the drawing room

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

That's part of the fun.
    Sometimes the fun can be taken out your social calendar when their is always someone there to tell you that you're not playing the right music,not dancing how you should be(slot,line,x marks the spot or whatever),you're bouncing,you're to wet(because it's a sunny day and their is no air con),you are wrong if you dont do man/man dancing and you should'nt be at the bar in the blues room at S'port if you are not approaching hotshot status.
    And now you want to start giving me instruction on what is or isn't the right thing to wear.
    Listen while there are still those that think a trilby,large oversize flat cap and worst of all,a bandana are cool then if you dont mind I would like to make my own mind up.Thank you.

PS

Commercial Operator

Sometimes the fun can be taken out your social calendar when their is always someone there to tell you that you're not playing the right music,not dancing how you should be(slot,line,x marks the spot or whatever),you're bouncing,you're to wet(because it's a sunny day and their is no air con),you are wrong if you dont do man/man dancing and you should'nt be at the bar in the blues room at S'port if you are not approaching hotshot status.
    And now you want to start giving me instruction on what is or isn't the right thing to wear.
    I was cheering you on up to this point. Of course people shouln't make fun of the way others dress.

And then I had to take off my Trilby to avoid ridicule.

Listen while there are still those that think a trilby,large oversize flat cap and worst of all,a bandana are cool then if you dont mind I would like to make my own mind up.Thank you.

PS
    Oops! My Trilby was hiding my bandana!

I suppose shorts with black shoes, white socks and brown sock suspenders are out of the question?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, again I refer you to the fact that this is a discussion forum.

We discuss stuff.

If we all agreed on everything, it's be an "agreement" forum. And very boring.

We are all, of course, free to wear whatever we want. But at least now, you won't wear (say) dark shoes, socks and shorts, then say "Oh, I never knew people thought that look was naff".

I want to give my opinion on what I think looks good, and what I think does not look good. And I have.

If I were instructing, I'd be charging for it.

Fezzes are cool.

Thread Information