Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitchen top - granite, Corian, wood, concrete?

Re: Kitchen top - granite, Corian, wood, concrete?

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    As for induction hobs - no choice, get one. Having had one installed at home (we've got no gas in this village) I won't ever go back to any other type of hob. As, if not more, responsive than gas and really easy to clean up spills as they don't burn on to the hob. Just make sure you use the right type of pans and be extra vigilant with if you choose to put a roasting tin on top which can melt before your eyes (we won't be doing that again!) You also get the chance to impress (or scare) people by putting your hand on a hot hob
    Absolutely agree with this 100%. Induction hobs are brill - I've had one for about 3 yrs I would never have anything else now. I've recommended them to loads of people and they all love it.

btw Helen - how did you melt your roasting tin? If its not metal, there wouldn't have been enough heat? And if it was metal, why did it melt?

Going back to worktops, you can get eco-friendly recycled glass ones as well which you design yourself and you can have in any colour. As its glass, I guess its hardwearing and they've won lots of awards and things for it. I don't know anyone personally who's got one but you could look into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Belle View Post
    Absolutely agree with this 100%. Induction hobs are brill - I've had one for about 3 yrs I would never have anything else now. I've recommended them to loads of people and they all love it.

btw Helen - how did you melt your roasting tin? If its not metal, there wouldn't have been enough heat? And if it was metal, why did it melt?
    It was a cheapie thin metal pan which had a weak spot that glowed red/white hot before we noticed and removed it quickly! I think we also had it on too high (it was first week of use). Obviously too much current at once generated for the pan to cope with. We've since deglazed pans successfully on the hob

Induction is the way to go, but you do need pans with a high iron content. (may need to re-buy all your kitchen ware)

Natural materials (stone and wood) for worktops will stain & mark. Corian is seamless and can be repaired if damaged with relative ease. Just had a kitchen installed in our new showroom and they have put in reconstituted stone in (7% resin in the mix) - this addition makes it completely non-porous (will never stain & easy clean) and hot stuff can be put on it the same way that it could be on natural stone. I'm told that this is the way forward.

(http://www.kitchensinternational.co.uk/)

Yes - t looks like the composite/reconstituted stone is now fav.....eg. Silestone. Four times harder than granite.........and you can't scratch/chip it.
    And it has Microban built in to stop bacteria growing, so you can perform minor surgery on it as needed.

And it comes in nice pretty colours if you want, as well as the usual kitcheny type patterns.

All this - and I'll probably still just have omelette and chips for lunch.

The best idea that all the kitchen people seem to rave about is the Quooker - which is boiling water straight from the tap - so no need for a kettle. Just need to remember that it is boiling water out of that tap...........

Thread Information