Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing 2010

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    To coin one of my favourite phrases by the Grinch who stole Christmas "One man's toxic sludge is another man's pot pourri"

If, Jivelad, you had that much make-up on, David would fancy you!
    Not unless I could get my ocho's going for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Well I have made him up once and confirm that with a little touche eclat, he did look quite handsome as usual in that rugged, butch, take-no-prisoners style of his.......
    Is that a cougar I hear over yonder hill?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Nicole Cutler?

I'm sure I'd absolutely get better at performing, at remembering choreography, and so on.

I'm not sure I'd get better at "dancing", with the exception of some areas which are visual-based - things like hand placement.

In some areas - for example, connection - I might even get worse.

Plus, 3 months sounds like a long time, but it boils down to, maybe, 20 hours per week - divide that by 14 (?) dances and you get maybe 20-30 hours of tuition per dance, the vast majority of which is about choreography for a specific 90-second routine.

I'm sure I'd learn something, but the actual discernable improvement in my regular social dancing would probably be minimal.
    Ok - I'll cancel that special Xmas present I had arranged for you with Nicole then........................

So - it does go back to the question: are [insert appropriate adjective* here] dancers (like David Bailey, to pluck a random name out of that fresh English air) born - or can they be trained ('nurtured'). Surely there must be a thread on this.................

From what you say, it is either that you are on the 'nature' side of this debate - or has your 'nurturing' plateaued? Or would you get more out of if Nicole was doing something with you that was different than the usual choreographed stuff.......eg. working on your technique in specific areas - or other 'stuff'.

*good/great/top/masterful/...............

Commercial Operator

I'm sure I'd absolutely get better at performing, at remembering choreography, and so on.

I'm not sure I'd get better at "dancing", with the exception of some areas which are visual-based - things like hand placement.
    Myself - I'd love the chance to get this intensity of top quality dance tuition - I don't see how it could fail to improve my dancing. The Strictly celebs who do go the distance have to learn a huge amount of solid dance technique to accomplish what they do - yes, they focus a lot on performance as well, but without that core technique, that won't benefit them much. I agree that some don't improve their dancing much, but I think that most do.

In some areas - for example, connection - I might even get worse.
    Why?

I'm sure I'd learn something, but the actual discernable improvement in my regular social dancing would probably be minimal.
    Well - Strictly isn't about social dance. It's chiefly about ballroom and performance. That said, the raw dance technique that one would learn if one was on the show could, in my opinion, make dramatic improvements to one's social dancing. I'd love the chance to do something like that (the learning, that is. Not sure about the performing side of it )...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Ok - I'll cancel that special Xmas present I had arranged for you with Nicole then........................
    Oh, OK then, if you twist my arm.

So - it does go back to the question: are [insert appropriate adjective* here] dancers (like David Bailey, to pluck a random name out of that fresh English air) born - or can they be trained ('nurtured'). Surely there must be a thread on this.................
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I think dancing proficiency is 905%+ about putting the work in, and less than 5% about actual "innate ability".

In fact, I suspect that's true for almost all "proficiency" areas - I'd recommend the book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell for an interesting take on the whole area of accomplishments.

I just don't think Strictly really provides intensive dance training that is designed to improve your dancing, i.e. with a focus on technique.

So I think the whole "journey" thing is, to a degree, illusory.

From what you say, it is either that you are on the 'nature' side of this debate - or has your 'nurturing' plateaued? Or would you get more out of if Nicole was doing something with you that was different than the usual choreographed stuff.......eg. working on your technique in specific areas - or other 'stuff'.
    The latter.

I look forward to my Xmas pressie

*good/great/top/masterful/...............
    /old.

Is that a cougar I hear over yonder hill?

How cheeky, just remember; yes touché éclat is a wonderful product but you a cub …..nah

Blog Entries

Re: connection:
    Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Why?
    Because if you learn primarily a 90-second sequence, then you don't learn much about lead-and-follow. As we've discussed many times, dance is not about moves.

The single most impressive achievement from any celeb that I can remember off the top of my head is the fact that Ian managed to lead, in an improvised way, Alesha through a good section of their Paso, without it going horribly wrong - without the judges even noticing.

Admittedly, it was Paso so you could blag it, but even so, it was impressive.

Commercial Operator

Because if you learn primarily a 90-second sequence, then you don't learn much about lead-and-follow.
    Lead and follow - connection - these are related concepts, but distinct from one another.
    A lot of ballroom moves simply don't work without good connection - pre-choreographed or no. Pivots being a nice example.
    Anyway - look at . She's leading him through most of the dance... must be some connection there...
    OK OK. On a more serious note...

As we've discussed many times, dance is not about moves.
    No. But don't confuse social dance with dance. I would argue that the Strictly celebs learn far more about pure dance than one ever could from attending MJ classes (many of which - as we've discussed many times - are woefully lacking on the dance front)

I do agree that they don't learn improvised lead and follow. Because they don't need to. I just don't see what that has to do with learning to dance - in the pure sense of the word. One can dance without lead and follow. One can practice lead and follow without dance. These are separate things.

Nicole Cutler?

I was actually referring to Natalie Lowe. I assume either would have been suitable for you (dressed in a sexy Santa outfit coming down your chimney........).

Blog Entries

I was actually referring to Natalie Lowe. I assume either would have been suitable for you (dressed in a sexy Santa outfit coming down your chimney........).
    Do I like her? I can't remember, that'll be the dementia setting in...

Oh, that bloody "Argentine Tango" display, that was pure dross that was. Bloody V&F should be ashamed of it.

Plus, at least one of the couples doing the AT will, I know, make a complete hash of it.

And it's too early for AT anyway.

And Ann bleedin' RabidRightWingicombe is riding a horse. A f$%king horse for f%^ks sake.

Apart from that, the show's going swimmingly.

Do I like her? I can't remember, that'll be the dementia setting in...
    That's not dementia, that's your mind drawing a kindly vail over the last few weeks.

Oh, that bloody "Argentine Tango" display, that was pure dross that was. Bloody V&F should be ashamed of it.
    Flavia is just angling to take over as the face of Agent Provacateur.

(To be serious for a moment - is it me, or are the outfits generally more risque than previous years? Erin's outfit looked more suited to a revue bar, and she wasn't the only one).

Plus, at least one of the couples doing the AT will, I know, make a complete hash of it.

And it's too early for AT anyway.
    I'm just hoping Anne doesn't stay in until the AT. Because I'm going to be sad when your brain explodes...

And Ann bleedin' RabidRightWingicombe is riding a horse. A f$%king horse for f%^ks sake.
    Don't talk about Anton like that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I'm just hoping Anne doesn't stay in until the AT. Because I'm going to be sad when your brain explodes...
    Just for that...

Because if you learn primarily a 90-second sequence, then you don't learn much about lead-and-follow. As we've discussed many times, dance is not about moves.

The single most impressive achievement from any celeb that I can remember off the top of my head is the fact that Ian managed to lead, in an improvised way, Alesha through a good section of their Paso, without it going horribly wrong - without the judges even noticing.

Admittedly, it was Paso so you could blag it, but even so, it was impressive.
    That is even more impressive due to the fact that Matthew was Alesha's partner That Ian sure does have some good skills!

Mind bleach! Who's got the mind bleach?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    That is even more impressive due to the fact that Matthew was Alesha's partner That Ian sure does have some good skills!
    Meh, they all look the same.

Blog Entries

So, the list is:

Jive
    • Patsy and Robin (ITT)
    • Pamela and James (ITT)
    • Michelle and Brendan (ITT)

VW
    • Felicity and Vincent (ITT)
    • Scott and Natalie (ITT)

Paso
    • Ann and Anton (ITT)
    • Jimi and Flavia (ITT)
    • Gavin and Katya (ITT)
    • Kara and Artem (ITT)

And...

AT
    • Matt and Aliona
    • Tina and Jared

Tina and Jared.

Argentine Tango.

Oh, the horror.

They would not look out of place at Cheshunt.........

Anyway, tonite........I can't see Peter Shilton not being in the bottom 2. (Meaning - I think he will be in the bottom 2). Although he has 'upped' his game - so have all the others.

Prediction: bottom 2 - Michelle and Peter. It is going to be tight - with a bunch of scores in the 28-34 range.

Jive 'Nostradamus' Lad predicts this week:

(Assuming Michelle is dancing - she has a dodgy ankle......):

Bottom 2: Michelle and Gavin, and Michelle departs.

All scores in the range 27-36 range except Ann and Gavin.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw my new Salsa teacher today and asked for any behind the scenes gossip

But sadly there's not much, except that she's been working with Kara, when Artem's rehearsing for the professional dances, to polish up her performance skills etc and Kara is making it known, that she's got a bit of a crush on Artem but that he's being very professional and playing it a bit cool

Missy (my dance teacher) said, she can't work out if she 'really' likes him or if she's hoping to allude to the fact that there could be more, to make the partnership more interesting?

Other behind the scenes crew are wondering the same thing, so she's clearing saying the same thing to quite a few people
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I saw my new Salsa teacher today and asked for any behind the scenes gossip

But sadly there's not much, except that she's been working with Kara, when Artem's rehearsing for the professional dances, to polish up her performance skills etc and Kara is making it known, that she's got a bit of a crush on Artem but that he's being very professional and playing it a bit cool
    Blimey, that's hardly Secret Insider Knowledge, I could have got that much from the Sun any time in the past 4 weeks...

Missy (my dance teacher) said, she can't work out if she 'really' likes him or if she's hoping to allude to the fact that there could be more, to make the partnership more interesting?
    I know Artem's supposed had a string of relationships with women... but... you know? I mean, just look at the guy...

As for Kara, she's obviously trying to play the showmance card. Or, she's a rampant hussy.

Or both.

Other behind the scenes crew are wondering the same thing, so she's clearing saying the same thing to quite a few people
    Well, indeed, including every tabloid newspaper she can find...

Anyway, my secret source tells me that Matt and Aliona's AT will be quite good, but that Tina and Jared's is a bit of a car crash - not because of Tina, but because of Jared. Oh, and apparently Tina and Jared's music choice will "drive me up the wall".

My secret source beats your secret source

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blimey, that's hardly Secret Insider Knowledge, I could have got that much from the Sun any time in the past 4 weeks...
    You read the SUN?

Yeah, I did say it wasn't much.. I did try though
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

You read the SUN?
    Hell no, I just read Digital Spy.

So, the list is:

Jive
    • Michelle and Brendan (ITT)
    What's the betting there's a fall by Michelle. She's just all legs and hands to me - too long and out of control limbs - and the jive will just show this even more. IMO, this could be a horrendous dance from her and she'll probably deserve to go (apart from obviously Ann, who the public are bound to keep in again).

Edit: Pah, should have checked Digital Spy first. Apparently, Michelle had a bad fall in training, and is touch and go for Saturday due to an ankle injury...maybe we'll be spared a messy jive
    Last edited by emmylou25; 28th-October-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Additional update

Thread Information