Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing 2010

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    By the looks of her lips, I'd say a trout.
    I doubt if she's the only one to have had a bit of work done in preparation for the series. They've had plenty of time since last Christmas for the swelling to subside.

Aaargh! "Toxic" is the antithesis of tango music! What were they thinking of?

Peter Shilton...two words - car crash.

Was Pamela Stephenson just exercising rigorous control over her tango face or were her eyes popping out with absolute terror?

It was OK, but I have to agree she seems overmarked.

Still, I'm grateful that someone's still carrying the flag for the older woman.

Cant wait for JiveLad's You Tube contribition

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Cant wait for JiveLad's You Tube contribition
    Well Ann 'Hippopotamus' W. and Michelle were done earlier today....

see http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jive-L...8195935?v=wall

YouTube to follow........hmmm.....maybe it is the turn of Pamela next.....

One question for Tango aficionado's: was Pamela's really better than Felicity's? To my untrained eye, I preferred Felicity's - Pamela seemed to tight and her arm was too rigid.

Oh and guess what...........Bruno mentioned the word 'circus'.....maybe DB was right......although it has still got to be better than All Star Family Fortunes.

Now just waiting for the result from my friend who is in the audience - and ready to splash it over the BBC FB posts.........not that it was me who did that last week at all

Erin Boag's outfit. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Erin Boag's outfit. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
    I thought Matt looked a bit yummy, even with that stupid hairy thing on his upper lip (not that I was looking at his face )

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I thought Matt looked a bit yummy, even with that stupid hairy thing on his upper lip (not that I was looking at his face )
    Matt was amazing last night. He's such a natural, confident dancer, like he's been doing it for years. I think he's going to win.

Haha -........now the BBC SCD FB site has just posted this:

BBC Strictly Come Dancing Just a polite reminder to ask you all not to post any spoilers on this Wall or any of the Discussion Boards. Thanks
    45 minutes ago · Comment · Like

......and then this follows:

Jack Swimming Poole WHY HAS ALESHA BEEN SACKED?
    44 minutes ago · Like · 4 people ·
    Madeline Cron ‎:p haha
    44 minutes ago · Like · 1 person ·
    James Gregory The unfortunate nature of recording your results show on a Saturday evening (and then broadcasting it on Sunday) is that people will post the spoilers.
    44 minutes ago · Like · 19 people ·
    Aletta Dijkhuis Please go back to doing the results on Saturday as well, this is really nonsense, a separate 30 mins show on Sunday!
    42 minutes ago · Like · 18 people ·
    Ellie Sheffield Couldn't agree more James.
    42 minutes ago · Like · 1 person ·
    Helen Collins Just a polite request, dont make a second rate, pointless results show that you recorded LAST NIGHT!
    42 minutes ago · Like · 9 people ·
    Marie J Buckley Why what's happened???
    42 minutes ago · Like ·
    Alison Jane Forbes it's your own fault BBC!!!
    42 minutes ago · Like · 2 people ·
    Paul 'Sandman' Muir SPOILER: Ann Widecombe was pure legit *****
    41 minutes ago · Like · 2 people ·

etc etc......

well at least the BBC do read the FB comments then......now maybe they will take some notice. As per last week about 95% of people hate the idea of a pre-recorded show on Sunday...........

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Anton gives Widders a call.

Thanks to Lory for doing the voice over on this one..........
    I didn't know Lory was such a good mimic !!

Matt was amazing last night. He's such a natural, confident dancer, like he's been doing it for years. I think he's going to win.
    Well, I think it's unfair.............he is a trained dancer. He won an amateur ballroom competition and trained whilst at Blue Peter. So, at the very least he has a huge head start. Unlike others, he is not starting from nothing.

It's a bit like that guy Tom who was on before. Somehow he could dance straight away - and then surfaced that ouTube and him doing the most amazing dance routine which he'd choreographed and set up some time before.

For me, one of the joys is watching people go from nothing to something ina few weeks., With Matt that is not happening..........

Commercial Operator

Well, I think it's unfair.............he is a trained dancer. He won an amateur ballroom competition and trained whilst at Blue Peter. So, at the very least he has a huge head start. Unlike others, he is not starting from nothing.

It's a bit like that guy Tom who was on before. Somehow he could dance straight away - and then surfaced that ouTube and him doing the most amazing dance routine which he'd choreographed and set up some time before.

For me, one of the joys is watching people go from nothing to something ina few weeks., With Matt that is not happening..........
    I think a bit of perspective is needed before such sweeping statements are accepted

Matt did a bit of dancing on Blue Peter and entered an amateur competion as part of a feature, no big deal. He's an international gymnast too and obviously knows how to ride a unicycle. but if you think that's not fair then consider:

Jimi, Felicity, Kara, Tina, Matt & Patsy are all actors & the judges are all banging on about the importance of acting as part of the dancing (and of course they probably all went to stage school where they all learn to dance don't they?) so that's not fair.

What about Michelle? - she danced on all those videos so that's not fair.

Kara did sports relief does strictly with Ramps so that's definitely not fair.

Gavin is used to having his chest (and other parts) waxed and wearing spray tan so that's not fair.

Pamela did lots of dancing on Not The Nine O'Clock News (who could ever forget her Kate Bush impersonation), She can also analyse her feelings and so overcome nerves - so that's not fair

So by a process of elimination it's only fair for Ann to win so they might as well stop the series now & give the glitterball to Ann & Anton

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I think it's unfair.............
    • It's "unfair" that Widdecombe seems to be given a ridiculous amount of leeway over what is allowed in a dance.
    • It's "unfair" that some contestants are younger and better-looking than others.
    • It's "unfair" that some contestants are, well, better dancers.
    • It's "unfair"... etc.

he is a trained dancer.
    Not really. The whole "ringer" thing comes up again and again. Some people are simply better dancers than others.

And in this case, Matt's obvious natural talent is probably counter-balanced by the fact that he is - or seems to be - deeply boring and therefore less popular than others.

I don't really believe in this "journey" myth. I'm not convinced that most of the contestants improve that much over the time of the competition.

Sure, they get better at performing, they get more used to their partners, and they develop some level of skills.

But I don't think many of them actually get better at dancing. Except for the ones at comically-crap levels, of course, where any improvement to merely mildly-crap is noticeable.

Matt was brilliant in the cha-cha. I expect he'll be brilliant in most dances. I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    I think a bit of perspective is needed before such sweeping statements are accepted

Matt did a bit of dancing on Blue Peter and entered an amateur competion as part of a feature, no big deal. He's an international gymnast too and obviously knows how to ride a unicycle. but if you think that's not fair then consider:

Jimi, Felicity, Kara, Tina, Matt & Patsy are all actors & the judges are all banging on about the importance of acting as part of the dancing (and of course they probably all went to stage school where they all learn to dance don't they?) so that's not fair.

What about Michelle? - she danced on all those videos so that's not fair.

Kara did sports relief does strictly with Ramps so that's definitely not fair.

Gavin is used to having his chest (and other parts) waxed and wearing spray tan so that's not fair.

Pamela did lots of dancing on Not The Nine O'Clock News (who could ever forget her Kate Bush impersonation), She can also analyse her feelings and so overcome nerves - so that's not fair

So by a process of elimination it's only fair for Ann to win so they might as well stop the series now & give the glitterball to Ann & Anton
    Very good.....except I wonder why the YouTube of him dancing has suddenly disappeared.................

At the moment, Matt is still the favourite at 7-4. Mind you, Ann has come down from 66-1 at the start of the series to 22-1 now.

Plus this is Tom Chambers being interviewed 3 days ago ('Whats On TV') about SCD:

Tom - who was being interviewed by comedian Scott Capurro at London's Vauxhall Tavern - also confirmed The Sun's story that he had secretly been a good dancer when he signed up for Strictly.

"I pretended I couldn't dance so it didn't look like I had an unfair advantage," he said.

So Matt is really the new Tom.

As I said, I like to see the people who come from nothing.....and see the journey. With Matt there is no journey - he's already reached the destination.
    Last edited by JiveLad; 26th-October-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I don't really believe in this "journey" myth. I'm not convinced that most of the contestants improve that much over the time of the competition.

Sure, they get better at performing, they get more used to their partners, and they develop some level of skills.

But I don't think many of them actually get better at dancing. Except for the ones at comically-crap levels, of course, where any improvement to merely mildly-crap is noticeable.
    Just wondering if you (David Bailey) spent 3 months day in day out with Flavia (or that Australian pro (I can't remember her name) that you seem to like) you might get better at dancing*. Perhaps a little bit? A teeny weeny tiny tad bit of improvement? Perhaps? Just possibly?

Flavia.jpg

* Yes......dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

I don’t really believe this competition is about dancing, seems to be more about personality and popularity contest and oh yes a tiny bit of dancing thrown in.

To coin one of my favourite phrases by the Grinch who stole Christmas "One man's toxic sludge is another man's pot pourri"

If, Jivelad, you had that much make-up on, David would fancy you!

If, Jivelad, you had that much make-up on, David would fancy you!
    Well I have made him up once and confirm that with a little touche eclat, he did look quite pretty

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just wondering if you (David Bailey) spent 3 months day in day out with Flavia (or that Australian pro (I can't remember her name) that you seem to like)
    Nicole Cutler?

you might get better at dancing*. Perhaps a little bit? A teeny weeny tiny tad bit of improvement? Perhaps? Just possibly?
    I'm sure I'd absolutely get better at performing, at remembering choreography, and so on.

I'm not sure I'd get better at "dancing", with the exception of some areas which are visual-based - things like hand placement.

In some areas - for example, connection - I might even get worse.

Plus, 3 months sounds like a long time, but it boils down to, maybe, 20 hours per week - divide that by 14 (?) dances and you get maybe 20-30 hours of tuition per dance, the vast majority of which is about choreography for a specific 90-second routine.

I'm sure I'd learn something, but the actual discernable improvement in my regular social dancing would probably be minimal.

Thread Information