Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing 2010

Blog Entries

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2010

Well apart from the obvious Robbie disaster (what an embarrassment!), and apart from the fact that Goldie shouldn't have been in the bottom 2 just yet, it just goes to prove that you shouldn't let the public have the final decision, because the public is stupid!
    ***, there's no question that Shilts would be gone if it was up to the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Well apart from the obvious Robbie disaster (what an embarrassment!), and apart from the fact that Goldie shouldn't have been in the bottom 2 just yet, it just goes to prove that you shouldn't let the public have the final decision, because the public is stupid!
    ***, there's no question that Shilts would be gone if it was up to the judges.

And (as I posted on the SCD FB thread) - if we let the public decide everything, we would still have capital punishment.

The show was terrible: as that FB thread/comments shows. The vast majority want the dance-off and are not happy with the new format (which is a copy of the US format (as it the set!).

See http://www.facebook.com/bbcstrictly/...59993337363913

Cartoon to follow later if I have time.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post

And (as I posted on the SCD FB thread) - if we let the public decide everything, we would still have capital punishment.
    And that's bad, because?

I bet we'd have less jerkers, stompers and stinkers if these things were illegal & we had capital punishment!

The show was terrible: as that FB thread/comments shows. The vast majority want the dance-off and are not happy with the new format (which is a copy of the US format (as it the set!).
    But the Dance-Off was a daft idea, too. All too often the judges ignored the performances and just voted to keep in their favourites. I'm happier that the power is back with the people. After all, we're the ones investing our hard-earned cash in our votes. And it's not even as if all the judges are particularly qualified to judge a dance competition *cough*Aleesha*cough*

However, I will agree that the flow of the results show was poor. Where was all the tension in waiting for the results? Tess didn't keep it together very well, and what was the point of having Claudia at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Tess didn't keep it together very well, and what was the point of having Claudia at all?
    I was v concerned about Tess' dress and a potential mishap there. I think Claudia's outfit was very unflattering, and really didn't do her justice especially vs leggy Tess.

But didn't she look like Lily Allen?!

I think the dance off works - but then I vote on the basis of who I like (ie generally the dancing ability and not on who is the worst but fun for people who know nothing about dancing!). And I also think that Alesha's capable of picking the best dancer in a dance off when there's a dodgy bottom 2 conflict like there often is early on.

The Forum Legend

But the Dance-Off was a daft idea, too. All too often the judges ignored the performances and just voted to keep in their favourites. I'm happier that the power is back with the people. After all, we're the ones investing our hard-earned cash in our votes. And it's not even as if all the judges are particularly qualified to judge a dance competition *cough*Aleesha*cough*
    Except that you'd also have thought that their favourites were usually the best dancers, or the ones that showed the most promise. So that's a good thing, right. Unlike the public voting to keep Ann and Anton in, presumably either because they feel sorry for her, or because they want to laugh at her again!

Based on the votes for last week, where both Ann and Paul Daniels had to have come at least 9th and 10th in the public voting, I'd say that Aleesha is a lot more qualified to judge a dance competition than the public (assuming that is that she'd have put one of those two out, if they'd even made it into the bottom 2!).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Unlike the public voting to keep Ann and Anton in, presumably either because they feel sorry for her, or because they want to laugh at her again!
    I would like to see Ann stay in, but not because I want to laugh at her or because I feel sorry for her. I think she's really enjoying the experience and I've enjoyed watching her Strictly journey so far. Her Salsa was a joke, but it's Salsa, something she'd struggle with no matter how much she trained. I think she'll surprise us next week with something more elegant.

Blog Entries

Except that you'd also have thought that their favourites were usually the best dancers, or the ones that showed the most promise. So that's a good thing, right. Unlike the public voting to keep Ann and Anton in, presumably either because they feel sorry for her, or because they want to laugh at her again!

I'd argue that the public's choices typically do tend to be the better dancers - with the odd exception of where personality/popularity takes over. You end up with the occasional Chris Parker & John Sergeant, it's true - but is that any worse than the Judges' obvious bias for dancers like the Rachbot & Zoe Lucker (who only got voted out when she went up against Ali). Whilst the judges see technique in the studio, it's obvious from the viewers' responses that some dancers don't translate well to telly.

The judges already get their say. Their marks count to the total. I just think the casting vote should belong to the public.

And now that the balance of power has shifted - maybe the judges will learn to use their paddles a bit more wisely....

The Forum Legend

I'd argue that the public's choices typically do tend to be the better dancers - with the odd exception of where personality/popularity takes over. You end up with the occasional Chris Parker & John Sergeant, it's true - but is that any worse than the Judges' obvious bias for dancers like the Rachbot & Zoe Lucker.
    John Sergeant last year (and I was in Australia, so I didn't see much of what was happening with him, just what I read about it all) was a joke. And I think that Ann and Paul very much have the potential to be the same again this year. If both of them (or even just one of them) are still in the competition in several weeks time, and neither of them have the good sense to drop out, then I think that it just totally devalues what is supposed to be a dance competition.

So yes, I'd say that it's much worse than any judging bias for people who can at least move and dance, even if you personally don't like then, or think that they have no personality!

It's quite feasible that if John Sergeant hadn't dropped out last year, that the public vote would have kept him out of the bottom two (and thus away from the dance-off and the judges kicking him out) all the way through the competition, until he ended up winning it. Which would have been rather embarrassing to the people organising what is supposed to be a dancing competition you'd have thought.

To be honest, I really don't think that they should put in these no-hopers. Presumably they do, as they bring in the phone votes (as already demonstrated this week), and thus make more money for the show. Not a good reason for having them in the competition to my mind.

Blog Entries

To be honest, I really don't think that they should put in these no-hopers. Presumably they do, as they bring in the phone votes (as already demonstrated this week), and thus make more money for the show. Not a good reason for having them in the competition to my mind.
    But then, how can you tell who's going to be a no-hoper? Look at our Great Welsh Hope last year... who would have thought that Joe would've been so wooden, for instance? And I thought that John Sargeant did have some talent, and originally was trying hard and improving. What made the public originally take to him so much was the judges' bias against him. And it's really, at that point, it all became a bit of a pantomine, IMHO.

You're right, though. It really does make a difference by the way that we view the programme's purpose. I personally look at it as an entertainment programme, about dancing where the competition bit is just there to keep up the interest. I enjoy the journeys, especially with the people who would not normally have considered dancing.

Not on JL cartoons:

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Not on JL cartoons:

JL you have excelled yourself with this one. Love the reference to section 28. I now have tea all down me where I laughed out loud, whilst sipping tea, plus the rest of the office is looking at me like I’m mad. Teach me to log into the forum when I should be working

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the thing that annoys me about widders is not the fact that she's short, old, and fat, with no discernable dance ability beyond that of a mollusc.

What annoys me about her is that she has the wrong attitude - she doesn't want to learn to dance.

So I've no idea what she's doing on this show...

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    short, old, and fat
    You're right. We shouldn't hold that against anyone who wants to dance!!

Blog Entries

You're right. We shouldn't hold that against anyone who wants to dance!!
    It's pretty much a prerequisite for being a good AT dancer, actually

Well, out of all the nearly 5,000 comments posted on the Strictly FB site since this series began, the most popular (with 16 'Likes') is about the Sunday show, in response to the thread:

"So which couples do you think really need to 'up their game' to survive next weekend?"

The post reads: "Well after the debacle of a show last night, the couple that most need to up their game are: Claire Bridgland, the Production Executive for the programme and her Production Team (Charlotte Adams, Ross Flynn, Lorna Buckmire, Amy Ferrier, Media Rahim)."

(And it was written by (ahem) Jive Lad's mildly entertaining alter ego).

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I think the thing that annoys me about widders is not the fact that she's short, old, and fat........
    moi aussi

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Just watched the Sunday show (sorry I'm a day behind you all) but to say I hated it was understatement - how much can they dumb it down? I loved the first few series but the more they change the format the less I like it. Now we can't have all the results at once - do they think we have attention deficit?

Also I don't get the running up the stairs bit after the dance to get to the green room

I'm not against change but I am against change for the sake of it and this is what it seems. I just want to watch a programme about people who never danced learning to dance.

Personally I can't see why the public have to vote, they appoint judges score the contestants, I may not agree with them but for me it's good enough. At least they tend to score on the dancing. Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Just watched the Sunday show (sorry I'm a day behind you all) but to say I hated it was understatement - how much can they dumb it down? I loved the first few series but the more they change the format the less I like it. Now we can't have all the results at once - do they think we have attention deficit?

Also I don't get the running up the stairs bit after the dance to get to the green room

I'm not against change but I am against change for the sake of it and this is what it seems. I just want to watch a programme about people who never danced learning to dance.

Personally I can't see why the public have to vote, they appoint judges score the contestants, I may not agree with them but for me it's good enough. At least they tend to score on the dancing. Rant over
    Yes - it was very poor: hence all the comments on the SCD FB site. From what I could see, 95% or more were against the new format. I hope the BBC listens (and acts!). We pay for this show after all..........

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    moi aussi
    Well, blimey, me too.

As I said, none of us can help our physical characteristics.

Thread Information