Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly Come Dancing 2010

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2010

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    Having not seen any of them dance I'm going to stick my neck out and predict the winner will be Matt Baker - he seems to be very good at most of the daft things they get him to do on Countryfile.
    Yep, he's definitely my favourite - he's a lovely lad! Farming background, very down to earth...will be interesting to see how he copes with sequins! Although he's a former gymnast so will be used to lycra.

One thing I noticed when I looked through the official launch pics of the celebs is that there are at least 3-4 dopplegangers for notable forumites.....

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Maybe this contestant is more your cup of tea............perhaps she would not look out of place at a Milonga.......

Attachment 10530
    God, no. That's the sort of face that would make a man want to become a monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I'd quite like to see Gavin Henson make a complete 4rse of it, but I've got a feeling that he'll disappoint me.
    Ah, but don't forget we all thought the same about Joe Calzaghe until we saw him dance.

As a Welsh rugby fan, I wish Henson would stop @rsing about on Strictly and actually play a bit of rugby, but that's looking increasingly unlikely now. He was quoted in an interview in yesterday's Western Mail as saying that he wants to play in the Rugby World Cup next summer. Fat chance if he can't even be bothered to turn up for training.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    There's Something Of The Night about her....
    Where "Something" =/= "Rhythm"...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Ah, but don't forget we all thought the same about Joe Calzaghe until we saw him dance.

As a Welsh rugby fan, I wish Henson would stop @rsing about on Strictly and actually play a bit of rugby, but that's looking increasingly unlikely now. He was quoted in an interview in yesterday's Western Mail as saying that he wants to play in the Rugby World Cup next summer. Fat chance if he can't even be bothered to turn up for training.
    Still the poster boy for the WRU though (but some of the other didn't seem to be too happy about that)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...handising.html

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    Still the poster boy for the WRU though (but some of the other didn't seem to be too happy about that)
    I can see why they're not happy. The current players have been putting in the effort in training, putting their bodies on the line in game after game, while Henson has been sunning himself on his yacht, appearing on TV reality shows and now doing Strictly while still maintaining that he wants to play rugby. Yeah, right. Pull the other one, Gav.

In my opinion, using him as the poster boy for the new kit was a huge mistake. He shouldn't be allowed to feature in posters for the new Wales kit until he's earned the right to wear it.

Is Jimi Mistry the bloke who plays Dev in Coronation Street?

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Not even close.

I see Alesha has started with her wise and professional views already. Once all the partners had been put together she says "We haven't seen any of them dancing together yet so I'm saying it's anyone's game"

No sh*t Sherlock!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Not even close.

I see Alesha has started with her wise and professional views already. Once all the partners had been put together she says "We haven't seen any of them dancing together yet so I'm saying it's anyone's game"

No sh*t Sherlock!
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment behind this post - Alesha hasn't got the depth of dance knowledge to be a judge - I think she was saying this to contradict the judges who were coming out with soundbites about it being the best line up ever!

I know she shouldn't be a dance competition judge, but she's a nice person and it's not really a dance competition. It's a popularity contest with some entertaining/dreadful/train-wreck dancing and some witty/bitchy banter.

First impressions on last nites show: a good refresh!

Plenty of pos:

- Bruce was on form with a couple of good ad libs
    - Fewer celebs is better
    - Good changes to the pro dancers (except one - see later)
    - Ann W looks like a star already and used what could become her catchphrase a couple of times: "It's [only] a dance show". (Big question: will the new rules prevent her from getting to the final?)

The one big neg is Anton, trying to steal the show (literally by taking over from Bruce).

The other neg to look forward to is Pamela's husband having a toe curling interview with Bruce. We had the 'dancing-in-a-kilt-aren't-we-so-funny' clip a bit earlier than I anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    He was in Eastenders - think he was a doctor in it.

The one big neg is Anton, trying to steal the show (literally by taking over from Bruce).
    I reckon the only reason they kept Anton in was because they knew that he'd have to be the obvious person to pair with the older 'no-hoper'.

I'm a bit peed off that Matt Baker's got Aliona - I didn't take to her last year, so hope she doesn't just do her own thing and forget she's meant to be making her celeb look good.

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post

I'm a bit peed off that Matt Baker's got Aliona - I didn't take to her last year, so hope she doesn't just do her own thing and forget she's meant to be making her celeb look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I think she was saying this to contradict the judges who were coming out with soundbites about it being the best line up ever!
    I think it was Len Goodman who made that remark, which leads me to ask:

WHAT IS HE ON?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know she shouldn't be a dance competition judge, but she's a nice person and it's not really a dance competition.
    You know something? Even a dance competition is not really a dance competition.

There's politics, there's game-playing, there's "who you know", there's "who you've been taught by", and of course, there's "who you're going out with".

The recent AT competition in BsAs simply reeks of dodginess, for example.

Len Goodman's autobiography says pretty much the same thing. He recounts an event where he and his partner won, beating a couple who were, frankly, far far better than them - but Goodman won because he was known and played the game.

So pretending that in a professional dance competition, it's all just about dance ability, is just wrong. There's always an element of "politics", for want of a better word.

Also
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment behind this post - Alesha hasn't got the depth of dance knowledge to be a judge - I think she was saying this to contradict the judges who were coming out with soundbites about it being the best line up ever!
    It's difficult to see how a line up including Widders and Daniels can be considered the best line up ever. Unless they're lining up for something not involving dancing...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I think it was Len Goodman who made that remark, which leads me to ask:

WHAT IS HE ON?
    Len said it and Bruno agreed with him. What they base this on I've no idea. They haven't even seen Miss W dance yet

I've met Miss W a couple of times. I was delegated to "keep her entertained" at a Conservative dinner and met her once at a school prizegiving. In real life she is exactly the same as you see her on TV. What you see is what you get. She's not playing any games. I rather like her, but hearing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth sometimes rubs people up the wrong way - she'd already Brucie's "favourite", that's a low as it gets in dancing in Strictly

Commercial Operator

I think Anton and Brucie are probably playing a game. Hopefully they'll have time to let us in on it before Miss W does a John Sergeant.

One Christmas Andton and Brucie did do a double act "Me and My Shadow" or something. Perhaps it's still going on.

The thing I like about Anton is that he lets us in on it. He's obviously playing up to the cameras. But we somehow get to conspire with him and he's sort of humble at the same time. Some of the other professionals are shamelessly self-aggrandising and mugging for the cameras - whilst others are just pleased to be there.

Am I the only one who finds Karen Hardy the biggest self-promoter of them all? She seems to me to combine a wounded swan act with a demeanour of I am the greatest and could have done even better if things if people had been nicer. But maybe that's just me.

p.s. I could have done better if I'd been taller

Am I the only one who finds Karen Hardy the biggest self-promoter of them all? She seems to me to combine a wounded swan act with a demeanour of I am the greatest and could have done even better if things if people had been nicer. But maybe that's just me.
    I so agree with you on this. Can't stand the woman...and she's still hanging around even though she's not competing on it anymore. Admittedly she did do great things with Mark Ramprakash, but I still think I'd rather have watched him dance if she'd not be with him.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    It's difficult to see how a line up including Widders and Daniels can be considered the best line up ever. Unless they're lining up for something not involving dancing...
    I'll be disappointed if PD doesn't manage to make his partner disappear mid-dance, only for her to re-emerge from behind the judges in a different costume, at least once before he goes out. Or failing that, a Cha-cha-cha to the music from Wizbit.

PD Dancing
    PD Gimmicks

Thread Information